Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Shabbos Kallah

avigayil

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 10:34 pm
Hello Ladies,

Do any of you know the origin of the 'Shabbos Kallah' ?
I am hosting one for a friend of mine this shabbos Very Happy , B'H" and would like to talk a little bit about this topic.
Thank you all!
.....A.

ForeverYoung

Post Fri, Feb 25 2005, 7:58 am
I don't want to be a killjoy, but

as far as I know, there are no Jewish sources for this.

By goim, the girl used to move to her husband's house, so she had a good buy party for her friends, which was not always a joyous occasion, as often girls were married off NOT according to their choice.

Chanie

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 7:40 pm
The reason I heard for it was that the whole family used to go to shul for the ufruf, and the girl, who couldn't see her chasan stayed at home alone. A group of friends would come to pass the time with the kalla...thereby making it a 'custom' for girls to come keep the kalla company the shobbos before the wedding.

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 8:42 pm
I likr this one, thanks

PS a cute pic!!

chanab

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 9:30 am
The origin for shabbos kallah is actually in the gemara.(Not sure where , but can find out) In the times of the beis hamikdash, women would go to the kallah's house the shabbos before the wedding to give her a bracha. The reason is because Shabbos is the source of brochos for the week to come. We say in Lecha Dodi, "Likras Shabbos Lechu Venelcha Ki Hi MEKOR HABROCHA". This applies always but so much more so the week before the kallah's wedding, so therefore we go the SHABBOS before to bentch the kallah that she should have a binyan adei ad etc etc all the brochos concerning her wedding.In other words we "help" the kallah access the brochos of shabbos for the week to come.

Motek

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 9:51 am
please post the source in the Gemara
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics