Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Traveling overseas w/20 month old

amother

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 2:00 pm
We're iy"h flying to Eretz Yisroel for chanukah. (from NY) Our DD is an active 20 month old and I am so nervous about the long flight & the trip in general! How do I entertain her/ keep her in control on the plane & when sightseeing???
If anyone has experience please share some tips...Leaving her behind is not an option as DH is very opposed to the idea...TIA!

(Posting as anon. due to too many people knowing my situation and I don't fancy them figuring out my screen name.)

grin

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 12:31 pm
earplugs? sedatives?

honestly, I've done it and it wasn't easy, to say the least. take toys, semi-healthy treats, and daven.

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 1:18 pm
Take a red eye and make sure to bring a car seat and whatever calms your DD down. (bottles, pacifiers etc) Also definitely bring along toys, books, paper and stickers/crayons, snacks, treats etc. When the plane is in the air, take walks to the bathroom, visit the flight attendants, go to get some water etc....that way when you can't get up, your DD will be more willing to actually sit.

I've done it. I've done it alone with a 3 year old and 15 month and 2 stopovers.

I'm doing it again alone in a month with a 4 year old and 21 month old. (also with a stopover)

Good luck!

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 2:36 pm
BennysMommy wrote:
Take a red eye and make sure to bring a car seat and whatever calms your DD down. (bottles, pacifiers etc) Also definitely bring along toys, books, paper and stickers/crayons, snacks, treats etc. When the plane is in the air, take walks to the bathroom, visit the flight attendants, go to get some water etc....that way when you can't get up, your DD will be more willing to actually sit.

I've done it. I've done it alone with a 3 year old and 15 month and 2 stopovers.

I'm doing it again alone in a month with a 4 year old and 21 month old. (also with a stopover)

Good luck!
and I would say NOT to bring a car seat. my almost 2 year old needed the room for playing and sleeping when she was that age, the car seat would have made her being able to move very hard in deed.

take along a lot of toys and foods that she likes.
also, take along many more diapers than you think you need as well as clothing. take more than you think you will need.

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 2:40 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
BennysMommy wrote:

Good luck!
and I would say NOT to bring a car seat. my almost 2 year old needed the room for playing and sleeping when she was that age, the car seat would have made her being able to move very hard in deed.

take along a lot of toys and foods that she likes.
also, take along many more diapers than you think you need as well as clothing. take more than you think you will need.

Personally, my kids sleep MUCH better in a car seat than in an airplane seat, plus I would feel much safer falling asleep knowing they are asleep secured in their car seat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics