Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
My 1-month old slept through the night

amother

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 10:24 am
I nursed my 1-month-old baby late last night, then he fell asleep. He usually wakes up every 3-4 hours for a feeding. But last night he slept almost 7 hours. So firstly, is that a problem? I wouldn't think so if it's just once, but who says it won't happen again. Also, is it bad for my milk supply if I didn't nurse in that long? Just once? And then also, what happens if he gets into the habit of sleeping through the night? Not that I'm complaining about it! But should I then pump so I can keep up my milk supply?

hadasa

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 3:07 pm
If he's not very small and is gaining well, I wouldn't worry about it. For some women, though, having the baby regularly sleep through the night may mean the end of "nursing clean".

amother

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 3:12 pm
hadasa wrote:
If he's not very small and is gaining well, I wouldn't worry about it. For some women, though, having the baby regularly sleep through the night may mean the end of "nursing clean".

Is that why I don't nurse clean?? I never though of that! My baby from his bris was sleeping through the night a good 10 hours but would eat very often in the day and I only BF. I thought that the reason why I am not nursing clean has no reason and it is all a myth.

3mitzvos

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 3:15 pm
I agree with Hadasa. My pediatrician told me that it's not dangerous at all. Some babies do and some don't. With my daughter, she started sleeping through the night at around 4 weeks. If you wanna pump once in the middle of the night to keep your milk supply up or to store extra milk in the freezer, it doesn't hurt. Your body should adjust to your baby's feeding habits, though. I wouldn't worry about it. As for nursing "clean," well, Hadasa may be right about that... I got my period a couple months after my baby was born and got it every month after that while nursing!

imaamy

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 6:55 pm
I'm not sure about nursing clean. My first slept through pretty early and my next is 3 yrs younger: I had two periods between them, total! I think it just depends on the mom more than how often you nurse. My 3 month old is mostly sleeping all night and I don't expect to get it back while I'm nursing him, hopefully til he is 1.

hadasa

Post Sun, Dec 12 2010, 7:33 pm
That's why I said "for some women".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics