Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Help for my mother in law

4ofus

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 9:37 am
My mother in law is recently divorced and has severe OCD issues. She live by herself and sits home alone on the couch all day long. Her kids are trying to get her some sort of volunteer job or a job that pays very little so that she has a reason to get up every day and do something because she needs to leave the house and interact with people. Does anyone know of anything in Brooklyn (specifically in Flatbush) for her to do. Any tzedakkah organizations looking for volunteers? Any low paying jobs like a receptionist or something?
Thanks!

4ofus

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 11:46 am
Bump

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 11:48 am
How would she cope with the atmosphere of a job if she has severe OCD issues? I would think the focus should be to get her help for the OCD issues.

4ofus

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 11:52 am
It would be more of a chessed for her than her actually helping anyone else.

She has gone to a treatment facility and now goes for therapy once a week but the fact that she sits in her apartment alone all day is just taking away from any small amount of progress.

pumpkinsbubby

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 12:28 pm
I live out of town and don't have any advice for you regarding a job OR volunteer work, but I just wanted you to know that I respect YOU for being a very special daughter in law and trying to help out in this very difficult situation. Wishing you much hatzlocha!

Justlookup

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 12:32 pm
contact cojo of flatbush - I think I've seen ads in the Torah Times requesting volunteers to visit elderly etc. That might be very good for her - to visit and hear from an elderly person who may also be a good ear to her...

4ofus

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 12:44 pm
pumpkinsbubby wrote:
I live out of town and don't have any advice for you regarding a job OR volunteer work, but I just wanted you to know that I respect YOU for being a very special daughter in law and trying to help out in this very difficult situation. Wishing you much hatzlocha!

Thank you for your kind words. They really mean a lot to me!

4ofus

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 12:51 pm
ChayaG wrote:
contact cojo of flatbush - I think I've seen ads in the Torah Times requesting volunteers to visit elderly etc. That might be very good for her - to visit and hear from an elderly person who may also be a good ear to her...

I don't think visiting the elderly would be so great for her. Do you know if they would have something else?

mimishkl

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 1:21 pm
Maybe contact the bikur choilem she can work in the kitchen where they pack up the food.

4ofus

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 1:32 pm
mimishkl wrote:
Maybe contact the bikur choilem she can work in the kitchen where they pack up the food.

Do you have a # for them?

Sherri

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 5:33 am
There's a number listed here- try them. Hatzlacha!
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com.....tbush

4ofus

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 7:47 am
That's a great list, thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics