Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Fire on shabbos
1  2  3  Next

Inspired

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 5:36 am
Most house fires are pikuach nefesh and one would be required to do everything in their power to make sure it is put out ASAP. If you have any questions ask your rav NOW. And ask details- if furniture is on fire, a wall, etc. what do you do. If a fire breaks out and you haven't asked your rav you err on the side of saving lives, not your own olam habah (which is really the same thing- pikuach nefesh is docheh shabbos, always)..
Read R. Ribiat's lamed tes malachos, see also:
http://www.askmoses.com/en/art......html

http://docs.google.com/viewer?.....pli=1

http://www.vosizneias.com/6610.....afety

http://www.thelakewoodscoop.co......html

sarahd

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:33 am
What brought this on?

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:38 am
sarahd wrote:
What brought this on?

The Shabbos candles in the guest bedroom thread.

Inspired

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:40 am
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....rt=20

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:40 am
Also, if your skirt catches on fire, it's OK to rip it off... even if you are in a public place and will be exposing yourself in the most untznius way.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:58 am
I will put the fire out FIRST I will take it up with Hashem later.
It is such a pekuach nefesh...

sarahd

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 9:08 am
ewa-jo wrote:
sarahd wrote:
What brought this on?

The Shabbos candles in the guest bedroom thread.

Right, thanks. I saw that thread afterwards and have been busy with it since. Smile

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 9:51 am
plus, for those who think they should just let the house burn, because THEY got out safely- did they think about the lives of the firefighters, who will have to deal with a large house fire and put their lives at risk- a risk that could have been avoided if the small candle fire had been quenched right away?????

amother

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 9:53 am
ARGH!!!!
I didnt post in that thread because my language would probably not be so nice!!!
MY DH is a FireFighter! There are many Frum FireFighters! If you have a fire in your house on Shabbas, he will be mechalel shabbas to put it out! He was told by numerous rabonim that even a fire in a non jewish house can be put out on shabbas by jewish firemen!

Someone please explain to me why it is OK for someone to think that you can leave the fire and let it grow till its large and dangerous enough to put the Firefighters life at risk while fighting it?!

We were once in Monsey for Shabbas where a frum woman had a [gentile] call the fire department because her gas was on but the fire went out on her stove... she had 6 frum guys be mechalel shabbas instead of asking that one [gentile] to come back to her house to fix it (she walked to main st from her house to find the [gentile] and had them call from their cell phone) or just fixing it herself...

anon because a whole bunch of you know who I am!

sequoia

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 9:57 am
amother wrote:

We were once in Monsey for Shabbas where a frum woman had a [gentile] call the fire department because her gas was on but the fire went out on her stove... she had 6 frum guys be mechalel shabbas instead of asking that one [gentile] to come back to her house to fix it (she walked to main st from her house to find the [gentile] and had them call from their cell phone) or just fixing it herself...

What a great example of what happens when people forget that firefighters can also be Jewish.

If, ya know, that matters in terms of deliberately letting a fire increase so it endangers the lives of those trying to put it out. (It doesn't, but if you happen to think it does, just remember -- they might be Jews!)

Where oh where has our common sense gone?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 10:10 am
We had a crockpot explode on shabbos... big boom sonded like a bomb!

red/bue flames were shooting out from underneath ! I by instinct put it under the sink and ran the water ,burned my fingers a little .....after I felt bad I asked a Posek ....it was winter ,DH was at shul and I had a 5 month old sleeping with no non jews on the block and ontop of it all I rent from jews ....

Rabbi said I did the right thing and I was not a pious fool!! Sechel is given for a reason!!

A fire is a pikuach nefesh , to let it burn would be like letting someone drown ,it can spread and kill people .

amother

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 10:40 am
It's sad that this actually has to be spelled out for people. Like are people really not sure what to do when there's a fire on shabbos and they actually have to think if halacha permits them to put it out or not?? Ridiculous... should be common sense! If there's a fire, put it out and leave the area! And do whatever you can so it doesn't spread and c"v kill people even if its mechalel shabbos! People actually have to be told this??!!

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 11:03 am
obviously if the fire is too big to put out, and you would try any other day of the week, then dont try on shabbos- call 911 to begin with. But if it is a small, contained fire that you would handle any other day of the week- its best not to let it get any bigger

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 12:31 pm
btw, inspired, this is from one of these articles.

Quote:
While there are those who would reach for the fire extinguisher to put out the fire themselves, Squassoni stressed that that is the wrong thing to do, saying that more often than not people get injured and waste valuable time that should be spent evacuating the house, calling the fire department and meeting with family members at a designated meeting place.

“When a fire breaks out,” said Squassoni “you have about three minutes before toxic gasses of carbon dioxide and cyanide are released into the air. Get the hell out. You have insurance. Get everyone out, don’t go back in. The kids, your family, everyone is much more valuable than anything in your house.”

freidasima

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 12:44 pm
Ok So here's an off question.
What do you do if you are traveling and in a big fancy (non jewish) hotel somewhere, for shabbos and you have to bench lecht. The windows do not open. You are like on the 30th floor (yeah well, lots of exercise that shabbos folks!) and there are three smoke detectors in the bedroom, two in the bathroom and one in the closet.

There are also signs that if you light up you have ten seconds before a fire alarm starts, the sprinkler system in the room turns on and if you are caught having lit a match you will be sent to jail as it is a punishable even.

There are no "smoking rooms" in the hotel anymore.

What do you do?
And of course you are a million miles from any other Yid and there is nowhere to go for shabbos which you plan to spend (the next 25 hours) in that hotel room.

How do you bench lecht?

First tell me what you would do and then I'll tell you what we do as dh and I have, unfortunately, been in such a predicament more than once.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 1:13 pm
freidasima wrote:
What do you do if you are traveling and in a big fancy (non jewish) hotel somewhere, for shabbos and you have to bench lecht. The windows do not open. You are like on the 30th floor (yeah well, lots of exercise that shabbos folks!) and there are three smoke detectors in the bedroom, two in the bathroom and one in the closet.

There are also signs that if you light up you have ten seconds before a fire alarm starts, the sprinkler system in the room turns on and if you are caught having lit a match you will be sent to jail as it is a punishable even.

What do you do?
And of course you are a million miles from any other Yid and there is nowhere to go for shabbos which you plan to spend (the next 25 hours) in that hotel room.

How do you bench lecht?

First tell me what you would do and then I'll tell you what we do as dh and I have, unfortunately, been in such a predicament more than once.

we were told to flip 2 table lamps on and leave them on . or bring travelling electric candles like the ones you use at a hospital. we bought a set just for this purpose.

http://www.batteryoperatedcand....._d_03

amother

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 1:26 pm
Yep. just as amother above said. You use a light/lamp in the hotel room. You can even use the bathroom light, just be sure you are outside of the room (I'd close the door most of the way) to say the bracha. Then, at some point, be sure to use the light...read something using it, for example.

freidasima

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 3:30 pm
What we did and were told to do, was to take two tealights, you have ten seconds to light the match, light the candles, make the brocho before the alarm goes.
Then dh blows them out.
The fun part is that the only place to do it where you can actually possibly have 15 seconds...is at the bathroom sink.
So. You light, run out, make the brocho and he blows and wets the wicks to make sure no smoke left and then...
shabbat shalom.
Crazy no? But it's the only way considering that you can't always use electric candles (problems with voltage, wattage and plugs) and the bathroom light is only one, not two (and neither of us can sleep with any light hence the lights in the bedroom are not an option otherwise we are awake for the next 25 hours which is an "inui" and not an "oneg".

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 7:27 pm
freidasima wrote:

What do you do?

How do you bench lecht?

SAME EXACT SITUATION IF U R IN THE HOSPITAL ON FRIDAY NIGHT -

use a lamp or the light bulb candels - and do not make a bracha with Hashem's name

DO NOT EVER do it in the hospital or even in a bikur cholim room -

I had a baby on friday - and I went to the bikur cholim room right b4 shabbas to get some naming books and things... - there were other frum women there - some were lighting candles - and were warned by a frum guy that takes care of the candles NOT to light - (and if you light - DO NOT LEAVE THEM UNATTENDED) -

well... the man left, some ladie lit - and they were not going to stay there for 4 hours... they left.

If was so dangerous. It was so selfish and if Chas Vshalom a fire started or hospital personel would bpass by - it would be a cilul hashem.

back to the hotel - if it says not to light - DONT - the sprinklers are there, the smoke detectors as well - if you make them go off - the hotel will make you pay for the fire fighters being dospatched and the damages and caos you caused.

Either look into it ahead of time, take a smoking room, or bring electric lights with you. DO NOT BE SELFISH.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 7:30 pm
There are battery-operated electrical candles.

I "happened" to see them once in Michael's and remebered the time I was in the Hospital with one baby on Eruv Shabbas - and bought them for "just in case" I would ever need them...

After I had a Friday Baby - my husband lit shabbas candles with me in mind in our home.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions