Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Attn Seraph: Really? Spoiled Milk Pancakes????
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 3:29 pm
I guess theh bottom line is that seraph means milk that has started to smell/taste off, not milk that is turning into cheese.

(Personally I toss milk that starts to smell, but for baal tashchis conscious or frugal ppl, turning it into pancakes might be a good idea.)

Seraph I hope youre not upset by this thread. I apologize if you are.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 3:31 pm
Seraph wrote:
sky wrote:
I "sour" milk for recipes when it calls for Buttermilk.
(I mix vinegar or lemon juice with milk and let it sit a few minutes before using) but I'd be afraid to use soured milk from the fridge. I wouldn't know the difference between that and spoiled.
Lets put it this way. If its clumpy, toss it. If it just doesn't smell nice, you can use it.

That's what I would call sour not spoiled. Spoiled was when the milk separated from the curd and smelled rancid.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 3:33 pm
Seraph, I'm also sorry if you are upset. However, I get upset by the opposite. In seminary I got upset when I caught a woman adding moldy green cheese to an omelet she was making for me. Guess I never quite got over that.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 3:33 pm
sour milk is buttermilk, right?

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 3:43 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
sour milk is buttermilk, right?

No, sour milk is regular milk that has gone sour. It still looks like milk, but smells a bit off and curdles in your coffee.
Buttermilk IS sour, but it is the way it is made. I had to go look it up. Originally buttermilk was what was left behind after the butter was made.

Now the add an acid to it.
It can also refer to fermented milk.
Fermented milk is NOT sour milk.
More here...
google girl goes goofy...

http://homecooking.about.com/o.....k.htm

saw50st8

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 4:11 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Seraph, I'm also sorry if you are upset. However, I get upset by the opposite. In seminary I got upset when I caught a woman adding moldy green cheese to an omelet she was making for me. Guess I never quite got over that.

I guess you don't eat blue cheese?

sky

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 4:44 pm
sequoia wrote:
Does anyone boil milk in a teaspoon over fire to see if it's okay or not? I do that Smile

Never heard of that. What do you look for?

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 11:53 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

I guess you don't eat blue cheese?

There is a difference between blue cheese and regular cheese that has molded.

Come on...you know that...why the game?

Yakira

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 11:58 pm
Seraph, you know I love you, but I personally would have waited to post that recipe. Its a monthly column, right? I would have posted some other really cool (but not as far out) things, and once you have a fan base, you can throw something wild like spoiled milk pancakes out. Maybe like seitan or something else that is really something that can save money and not many people know about, although I know it is complicated. I just think a typical American woman will have a reaction similar to Mama Bear's and turn the page, but I might be wrong.

But anyway, hatzlacha with it.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:13 am
I think the problem is the term SPOILED, which can mean sour but sour is more specifically milk that has stopped tasting sweet, not milk that has actually spoiled.

sequoia

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 1:35 am
sky wrote:
sequoia wrote:
Does anyone boil milk in a teaspoon over fire to see if it's okay or not? I do that Smile

To see if it curdles. Sometimes it's past the expiry date or smells a bit sour but if it doesn't curdle, it's okay. If it does you have to throw it out.

kalsee

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 3:14 am
sequoia wrote:
sky wrote:
sequoia wrote:

To see if it curdles. Sometimes it's past the expiry date or smells a bit sour but if it doesn't curdle, it's okay. If it does you have to throw it out.

I pour milk into a cup with some boiling water

kalsee

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 3:17 am
Isramom8 wrote:

I'm not interested in hearing how spoiled milk can be safe. It's spoiled. Down the drain, zehu. Mold? Into the garbage, and wash your hands. Expired l;ast week? Go buy another can. That's not an aveira; it's a mitzva.

I read an article a while ago in the Hamodia all about expiration dates. Basically, many many products have a best by only for money making purposes. Cans especially don't spoil for a very very long time.

sequoia

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 3:22 am
Yep. This is why dumpster diving is safe, generally. Food doesn't magically go bad at 9 pm on the day of the expiration date.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 9:48 am
Yakira wrote:
Seraph, you know I love you, but I personally would have waited to post that recipe. Its a monthly column, right? I would have posted some other really cool (but not as far out) things, and once you have a fan base, you can throw something wild like spoiled milk pancakes out. Maybe like seitan or something else that is really something that can save money and not many people know about, although I know it is complicated. I just think a typical American woman will have a reaction similar to Mama Bear's and turn the page, but I might be wrong.

But anyway, hatzlacha with it.

I was thinking the same thing but you know, it's good to shake things up. People will know that this is a very different animal (the column, not the author ;-)

How long it will take a group of friends to start forming magazine co-ops though is anyone's guess Tongue Out

DovDov

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 10:26 am
Not Seraph, and don't read AMI, but we always turn our sour milk into pancakes -- in fact, I won't make pancakes with fresh milk because they taste so much better with sour milk. Sour milk is also okay in mac'n'cheese or tuna casserole, but not as great.

People rave about my pancakes...until I tell them the secret ingredient. Then they go quiet for a minute, htink about it, and either get really excited about the idea or stop eating.

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 10:39 am
DovDov wrote:
Not Seraph, and don't read AMI, but we always turn our sour milk into pancakes -- in fact, I won't make pancakes with fresh milk because they taste so much better with sour milk. Sour milk is also okay in mac'n'cheese or tuna casserole, but not as great.

People rave about my pancakes...until I tell them the secret ingredient. Then they go quiet for a minute, htink about it, and either get really excited about the idea or stop eating.

How do people have so much sour milk sitting around? I'd estimate that we have a container of milk go sour, oh, once every 3 years or so.

I didn't read the article, and therefore don't know how it was phrased. IMHO, however, if it was phrased as *spoiled milk,* without explanation, that's problematic. *Spoiled* milk and *sour milk* are two different things, and one should not rely upon unsphisticated (in terms of cooking techniques) readers to know the difference.

Off to make pancakes, with milk that has not spoiled. I'm sure everyone will nevertheless enjoy them.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 10:41 am
I sour a cup of milk by adding a Tablespoon of vinegar. Spoiled milk gets poured down the drain because I am not as creative as Seraph.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 10:41 am
Barbara, milk spoils by me on a regular basis, esp in the summer... somtimes it doesnt last more than 3 days...

Tamiri

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 10:43 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Barbara, milk spoils by me on a regular basis, esp in the summer... somtimes it doesnt last more than 3 days...
Is that chalav Yisrael milk? Because that was my experience with CY in the US.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals