Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Attn Seraph: Really? Spoiled Milk Pancakes????
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 10:44 am
A can "may" be safe, dumpster diving is "generally" safe...but why take the chance? Thank G-d I'm not in a wartime ghetto or worse. I can afford a modicum of dignity and self-respect. That's not the same as insisting on the fanciest foods or lavish banquets on a daily basis.

sequoia

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 11:01 am
People who have a hard time affording food don't have dignity or self-respect?

I'm sure you didn't mean that.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 11:11 am
Barbara, milk spoils by me on a regular basis, esp in the summer... somtimes it doesnt last more than 3 days...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 11:29 am
Milk spoilage is dependent on location, brand, etc.

My Pride of the Farm milk can last me 2 weeks at times.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 11:33 am
sequoia wrote:
People who have a hard time affording food don't have dignity or self-respect?

I'm sure you didn't mean that.

It's always respectful and dignified to do what you have to do. When you have to. Like the woman who had one ripped garment that barely covered her after the Holocaust, and a rebbetzin convinced her to speak before a group of Jewish students anyway - The rebbetzin placed a curtain around the table. In her case this was dignified and self respectful. But if I can get decent clothes, even from a gemach it's not bekavodik to go around in torn rags.

If we don't have to resort to substandard food, it doesn't give the world a good impression and does not make me feel self respectful or dignified to do so. Tomchei Shabbos gives food to those in need, there is government assistance, etc. We don't have to eat scraps.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 11:39 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I just don't get it. If my milk spoils, I take it back to my makolet and get a free replacement. The makolet gets reimbursed. Why stick with spoiled milk?

If it spoiled because I left it out in the heat or went away for a week, then it's my tough luck and I lose a few shekel. I won't drink it or force it on my family to save a dollar. That's a skewed perspective of retzon Hashem. (Sorry if you disagree.)

Today I bought a new eyeliner, because my old one simply ran all over my face all the time. How long will I continue to stick with it and suffer? Sometimes there are mistakes, sometimes losses. Win some, lose some. But move on. Sometimes it's just time for a new carton of milk or jar of mayo. That's life. It's not always healthy to hold on to the past.

sequoia

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 11:42 am
Isramom8 wrote:
We don't have to eat scraps.

But it's not scraps! It's perfectly good, fresh, unopened food!!! That's being tossed into the trash can on the day it expires! That's a moral problem, in my view, and while I appreciate getting free food, I'm also glad I'm not letting perfectly good food go to waste.

Seraph

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 11:59 am
I wonder what a rav would say if asked about bal tashchis and this issue. My guess is that if theres a way to easily make a food tasty and use it and you chose to throw it out, its probably bal tashchis.

Btw, Isramom, the way you make it sound, I'm "forcing this on my family". No way. This actually tastes really delicious- better than pancakes would taste with fresh milk. Its a treat, not forcing something disgusting on my family.

Oh, and mama bear or anyone who read ami, can you tell me- was there a pic with this article or no?

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:01 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
Barbara, milk spoils by me on a regular basis, esp in the summer... somtimes it doesnt last more than 3 days...
Is that chalav Yisrael milk? Because that was my experience with CY in the US.

As soon as Mama Bear posted that, the proverbial light went off over my head. CY milk does tend to spoil much more quickly than chalav stam.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:03 pm
Up to recently, finding decent CY products (milk, cheese...) was extremely hard.
Today it's still expensive and no good compared to regular one (yes there are exceptions especially if you're ready to shlep & pay). One of the reasons we don't buy it! Dairy is VERY important for kids, I want dd to like it!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:17 pm
Of course, you cant even buy non CY milk where I live Very Happy

Maya

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:20 pm
Seraph wrote:
Oh, and mama bear or anyone who read ami, can you tell me- was there a pic with this article or no?

Yes, there was a picture of a stack of pancakes with syrup running off its sides Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:25 pm
My CY lasts longer Wink
And is cheaper, I've heard.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:26 pm
Barbara wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
Is that chalav Yisrael milk? Because that was my experience with CY in the US.

As soon as Mama Bear posted that, the proverbial light went off over my head. CY milk does tend to spoil much more quickly than chalav stam.

What is the differenced between CY and CS that it would spoil more quickly? More time processing and therefore more time to the store or something else?

mommalah

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:36 pm
The CY milk in Brooklyn goes bad. Fast.
I am pretty sure it's the lack of oversight and poor handling from the time the milk is put in the carton until it gets to the store. The milk goes bad because it is not properly refrigerated and no one is looking and no one cares. And, not surprisingly, no one seems to care. I'm pretty sure none of the higher ups at the cy milk companies really care because it's not like Jews who keep CY milk have any other choice.
When I lived in Brooklyn, I would go out of my way to buy non-CY milk because I know that the (CY) milk wouldn't go bad. As long as no one complains, Brooklynites can expect to continue to receive quick to spoil milk.
Like HY said, here in Balt. it is not an issue. The Pride of the Farm milk lasts awhile here.

DovDov

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:37 pm
My milk spoils maybe once every two months or so, usually because someone left it out for a couple of hours after shoppin gand then the kids didn't have much cereal that week and when they did the milk sat on the table for an hour or two, etc.

It's not forcing, btw. Seriously, my kids get all excited when the milk is sour because they know I will make pancakes. And the only reason I make pancakes when the milk is sour is because they just taste so much better than regular milk pancakes. Once I'm going to take the time to make pancakes, I want them to be good ones! I'll make as many batches as I have milk for and then freeze.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:38 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I just don't get it. If my milk spoils, I take it back to my makolet and get a free replacement. The makolet gets reimbursed. Why stick with spoiled milk?

If it spoiled because I left it out in the heat or went away for a week, then it's my tough luck and I lose a few shekel. I won't drink it or force it on my family to save a dollar. That's a skewed perspective of retzon Hashem. (Sorry if you disagree.)

Today I bought a new eyeliner, because my old one simply ran all over my face all the time. How long will I continue to stick with it and suffer? Sometimes there are mistakes, sometimes losses. Win some, lose some. But move on. Sometimes it's just time for a new carton of milk or jar of mayo. That's life. It's not always healthy to hold on to the past.

I actually have a cream cheese container in my fridge that we are currently using. Expiry date? 11/21/2010. It's perfectly delicious, but according to you, you say I should dump it anyway?

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:41 pm
Seraph wrote:
I wonder what a rav would say if asked about bal tashchis and this issue. My guess is that if theres a way to easily make a food tasty and use it and you chose to throw it out, its probably bal tashchis.

Btw, Isramom, the way you make it sound, I'm "forcing this on my family". No way. This actually tastes really delicious- better than pancakes would taste with fresh milk. Its a treat, not forcing something disgusting on my family.

Do you mind posting the pancake recipe? I didnt buy the Ami, I read the article at a friends house. Great column, BTW!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:49 pm
Tehre's a pic of a pile of pancakes in it.

Seraph

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:51 pm
IYamWhoIYam wrote:
Seraph wrote:

Do you mind posting the pancake recipe? I didnt buy the Ami, I read the article at a friends house. Great column, BTW!

2 cups flour (should be fine with whole wheat, white flour, rye, spelt, or any other flour)
2 cups milk (regular milk or spoiled milk do well here. Spoiled milk even makes it taste better and more flavorful, in my opinion.)
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
Oil for frying

Mix the first five ingredients together very well. Use a fork, whisk, egg beater or mixer to ensure no clumps of flour remain.
Heat up a frying pan or skillet with oil on medium-high. If you're using non-stick you'll need very little oil.
Drop tablespoons-full of batter into the hot pan. I usually am able to fit four or five small pancakes into the pan at one time.
Let them fry until you see small bubbles forming in the batter. Flip them over for another few minutes.
Remove from frying pan.
Eat- either plain, with syrup (maple or otherwise), with butter or however else you enjoy your pancakes.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals