Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Advice Needed: Monsey Housing -Difficult financial situation

redt85

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 9:57 pm
My in-laws came from Yemen as refugees about a year ago. They were unable to sell their homes to Arabs because of anti-semitism so came with very little. They settled in Monsey through the help of various Jewish organizations. These organizations were willing to pay their rent the first year that they were here and the year is almost up. My father in law is getting social security disability money, but that is nowhere near enough for rent and he is almost 70. He was a Rav schochet, mohel and sofer in Yemen and due to his age and health condition cannot really work at this point in his life. My mother-in-law is in her 50's and does not really speak English and cannot read and write. She has been going to English classes, but for someone in her situation it is very difficult to find work. My sister in laws who live with them are both agunot and one is in her late twenties and one is in her early 30's. One of them had to leave her kids behind in my Yemen and is extremely depressed and working has shown itself to be too difficult for her. There are also 2 other children who live with my in-laws. There are currently no Section 8 applications in Monsey. Rent is a serious problem and my in laws are on the verge of being evicted. Does anyone know about applying for disability(perhaps my mother in law can due language?) We are open to going to the tzedakah route, but what is the best way to do it? The DSS office may be able to give a small amount of money each month but that will not be enough. Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Depressed

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 10:41 pm
I hope this is helpful.. I apologize if it isnt. Monsey is extremely expensive. There is a Yemenite crowd in Lakewood with shuls and shiurim, and the infrastructure is tailored for low income families across the board. My spacious 4 bedroom house with garage and backyard is 1250 a month. In Monsey it would be about 4000. Food is also a lot cheaper. Unless, there are mosdos in Monsey that will sponsor you and cover most of your costs, it might be wise, to consider Lakewood..

Hatzlacha

redt85

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 9:06 pm
Thank you depressed. Lakewood is an option we are considering. The family who has the Yemenite shul is related to my father-in law. Is it possible to get Section 8 in New Jersey?

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 10:50 pm
It is very difficult to get Section 8 in New Jersey. There is a very long waiting list.

I agree with Depressed that Lakewood might be easier, though. When we lived in Monsey, we were paying about 50% more for an old, 2-bedroom apartment in a not-so-desirable neighborhood, than we are now for a new, 3-bedroom apartment with a much better layout in Lakewood!

mirror

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 10:54 pm
On a previous thread, it was mentioned that the waiting list for Section 8 in Monsey is 700 families, and the waiting list for Section 8 in Lakewood is 2000 families long, which is why neither are accepting applications.

However, I have heard rumors (but I don't know if this is true or not) that if you present an eviction notice to court then you can get Section 8. Please ask around to find out whether this is true or not.

loveraizy

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 11:01 pm
redt85 wrote:
My in-laws came from Yemen as refugees about a year ago. They were unable to sell their homes to Arabs because of anti-semitism so came with very little. They settled in Monsey through the help of various Jewish organizations. These organizations were willing to pay their rent the first year that they were here and the year is almost up. My father in law is getting social security disability money, but that is nowhere near enough for rent and he is almost 70. He was a Rav schochet, mohel and sofer in Yemen and due to his age and health condition cannot really work at this point in his life. My mother-in-law is in her 50's and does not really speak English and cannot read and write. She has been going to English classes, but for someone in her situation it is very difficult to find work. My sister in laws who live with them are both agunot and one is in her late twenties and one is in her early 30's. One of them had to leave her kids behind in my Yemen and is extremely depressed and working has shown itself to be too difficult for her. There are also 2 other children who live with my in-laws. There are currently no Section 8 applications in Monsey. Rent is a serious problem and my in laws are on the verge of being evicted. Does anyone know about applying for disability(perhaps my mother in law can due language?) We are open to going to the tzedakah route, but what is the best way to do it? The DSS office may be able to give a small amount of money each month but that will not be enough. Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Why dont you try Kupat Ezra, they help evrone in a secret way
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries