Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Moving to a New house

raizy

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 9:25 pm
I am moving to a new house.. does anyone have any idea how to pack up seven yrs of junk.. I did move once since I am married but that was only with one kid now have 4 kids and tons and tons of junk...

my hubby just want to toss everything and strat new in the other house... Twisted Evil

also I need tips in how to pack crustels and silver... any tips on any aspect of moving will be greatly appreicated..

my idea of moving is when the other house is ready and painted then I will toss everything in boxes and move... it is a quick and painless way.. also I will hahahha unpack everything right away.....

Tefila

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 10:42 pm
Label boxes dining room, living room, master bedroom etc
and then will not matter whats inside except crystal china and silver label fragile coz thats what I did and movers just put where labels said on box and all we did was unpack in the rooms that they belonged hatzlacha

Sunshine

Post Tue, Mar 01 2005, 8:44 pm
Freilich I did the same thing and it really made unpacking and moving go faster. Also if you write anything in hebbrew on the box remember that the movers won't know what it is and where to put it so lable everything in English and you can even buy little diff colored stickers and have a color for diff rooms so you can find what box to what room very fast. Glass and fragile things I packed in paper groccery bags! They are very good in protecting the items and are free! This way you don't spend a fortune on bubble wrap and the like and it protects it very well. We had a very far moved and packed things in paper bags and B"H not one thing broke!!!

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 01 2005, 9:57 pm
Zun, where are you?
We need your advice!!

queenie

Post Wed, Mar 02 2005, 11:49 pm
Bubble wrap - get lots of it!! It's the best thing for breakables.

I have moved several times.

1. When packing books use only very small boxes. Books are very heavy.

2. Try to keep things together even if they don't fill up a box. Use tissue or old papers (not newspaper) to fill up an empty part of a box so you can stack it. When you go to unpack you don't want to be running around the house putting things away. Only kitchen items in a kitchen box.

3. Make an inventory list. Label the outside of the box with which room it goes into and a number. Then, on a separate list write what is in the box. When you go to unpack you can unpack the essentials first because you know where to find them. Like bedlinens and kitchen pots.

4. Make sure you know exactly how many boxes and every last piece of furniture you have. Make sure if you have 127 boxes they all get on the truck and check off your list that they all get off the truck. It's surprising what can mysteriously disappear.

Make sure the kids are not there for the move. You really have to pay attention to movers.

Take apart your beds yourself, your tables, mirror etc. Movers will do anything but you pay extra and you are paying them by the hour. If you are moving appliances they must be unplugged and ready to move. Door handles need to be secured so they don't open up.

Make your movers happy. You can supply coffee or cold drinks and snacks too. Don't forget to tip them. Keep them happy and they will be careful with your stuff.

Try not to talk to them too much either.

Remember to make sure the truck has a place to park so if parking is tight where you live either park your own car and maybe a neighbours car too in front of your house so you can reserve the space. Some places you can go to the city office and even officially reserve the place with a city sign and pilons.

And of course - try to through out and papers, clothes or books or really anything that you really haven't used in the past 3 years. Don't move ripped clothes or broken toys.

Good luck!

gryp

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 9:42 am
queenie- ive moved a few times too (within the same neighborhood). we didnt have enough things for movers but queenie's suggestions are wonderful!

(to quote you)
Quote:
1. When packing books use only very small boxes. Books are very heavy.

very important! books are very heavy and huge boxes of books will break or will have to be lifted by more than one person.

Quote:
2. Try to keep things together even if they don't fill up a box.

this makes unpacking very simple!

Quote:
3. Make an inventory list.

also to make unpacking simple and also to keep track of everything! (especially important when you have movers and things can disappear!)

Quote:
4. Make sure you know exactly how many boxes and every last piece of furniture you have

this is like #3. Movers are not so trustworthy. I have heard many stories of things disappearing.

Quote:
5. Take apart your beds yourself, your tables, mirror etc.

many many times movers break your furniture, scratch it, .... be very watchful of how they handle your stuff!

Make your movers happy do they do a good job!

and last but not least- MAKE SURE YOUR MOVERS ARE A LEGITIMATE MOVING COMPANY!!!
lots of times people pretend to be movers and steal the entire house of the people they are supposed to be moving! theygive you a really cheap price, even come to your house for an estimate, they look real but theyre not! my friend almost got stuck with one of these "companies." theres a website where you can check which moving companies are legitimate but I dont know it.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 12:32 pm
ask them for licence or there has to be a way to check with the local government
Call your town/ city hall

queenie

Post Thu, Mar 03 2005, 11:29 pm
Yes, I forgot. Make sure it's a licensed company and it's insured. Of course, you must tell your insurance company that you are moving and notify them. You should have a contract and READ ALL OF IT!!!

I had a mover do some damage once and they didn't want to fix the damage. They said that there is a $250 deductible. I told them I would like to see that policy. Where is it written?

I also told them it was due to their negligence. I was unbelievable sweet on the phone but very persistent. It took a while but someone did come to check out the damage and they did fix the damage. I don't think there was a policy at all. The estimate to fix the damage was the same as the deductible. Coincidence?

It is legitimate to pay a deposit but don't let them talk you into paying more than you agreed to. Sometimes movers say, "Well, you have to pay $100 more because your furniture was heavier than expected. If you don't pay we aren't taking it off the truck." Call the police (at least threaten too.)It's theft. You have a contract.

'nuff said.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Mar 07 2005, 11:12 pm
good points, Hindy

sarahd

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 6:39 am
Queenie, your suggestions are great. When/If we ever move, I plan to print them out and follow them.

I moved 7 times in my first six months of marriage, but it was only a few suitcases and duffel bags, no furniture and no books.

Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 08 2005, 6:57 am
[
Quote:
quote]
RG wrote:

Quote:
3. Make an inventory list.

also to make unpacking simple and also to keep track of everything! (especially important when you have movers and things can disappear!)

our movers wouldn't seal a box without me or my husband present to write down the number on a list, stating next to it what's inside. may take a bit longer, but it's worth it! it made unpacking so much easier!

Quote:
[
Quote:
quote]4. Make sure you know exactly how many boxes and every last piece of furniture you have
[/quote]comes with making of list!!!

Quote:
Make your movers happy do they do a good job!

very true! we made such a lunch for them Very Happy . the teamleader was such a nice guy, very into carlebach, brought his own cd player, with carlebachish cd's - took care of the good mood!

Quote:
and last but not least- MAKE SURE YOUR MOVERS ARE A LEGITIMATE MOVING COMPANY!!!

extremely important!!! check and tripple check the contract you have with them! we did, and still they tried to put a stunt on us..... Twisted Evil

Last edited by Pearl on Thu, Mar 17 2005, 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total

supermom

Post Wed, Mar 09 2005, 5:48 am
this made things easier for us but takes some space in the boxes leave the hangers on all of your clothing this way all you have to do is open the box and hang everything up in the closet. Saves you time and energy

hindyandrafi

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 10:58 am
I just moved last week and I am 8 months pg with my second child...

heres my advice...

1.) Get a good company and make sure you read over the contract... we ended up changing our moving date and they tried to screw us over by telling us we had a penalty for changing the date.

2.) Dont pack too many seferaim in one box. Rather spread them out into a few boxes and then put lighter stuff on top.

3.) Take some l'chaim to calm your nerves..

4.) Ship your kids to china for the day!!!!

Yael

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 4:16 pm
when I moved with my family before I got married, we had these wardrobe boxes for hanging stuff. looks like a little closet, you just hang the clothing on the bar. makes things easier. see if you can get them.

also be sure the boxes get on the truck first then the furniture. b/c when you unload you want the furniture out first especially the big peices, that way when bringing everything to the new house you can fit the boxes around the furniture and not the other way around.
also when unpacking be sure to set up the beds first with sheets and everything. that way even if you are too tired to do anything else at least you can just fall into bed.
label some boxes as open me up first!! put inside things you will need right away.
and get meals from neighbors, and canned ready made stuff. dont even try to cook the first day.

juggler

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 7:36 am
I second Yael about those boxes for the first night. Don't forget to include pjs, clothes for the next day for all the kids, diapers, pacifiers etc... You might also want a plug in lamp, lightbulbs, toilet paper, towels, linen and a can opener to open all of your cans that you will be using for supper Wink If the kids can sleep out the night before the move, it will make it easier to pack up their beds etc... so the movers can begin early enough in the morning.
Good luck!!

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 8:52 am
Quote:
4.) Ship your kids to china for the day!!!!

Hindyandrafi LOL LOL

Quote:
I second Yael about those boxes for the first night. Don't forget to include pjs, clothes for the next day for all the kids, diapers, pacifiers etc

and
Chanam Uh I don't think yael is moving it's raizy who is, Yael was talking about b/4 she was married.... 8)
Awhile ago from the look at her signature LOL

raizy

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 10:23 pm
thank you all for replying. yes I will move with a good company my friend used her. they even take the furnitere apart and in the new house they put it all back together. I am "just" moving up the street with four kids and working every day in a home day care. ..
thanks for the hanger tip.. Idea

I asked my hubby if we can just put all the clothes on a rack and wheel it down the street .. what a site that will be..... Twisted Evil

I plan on moving one day working non stop till everything is packed away so I can reopen my daycare right away.. let say move on thursday morning and open my daycare on monday morning . I can not afford to take too many days off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics