Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
How to make BAKED POTATO?

justmarried

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 2:36 pm
Hi! I'm sure it's pretty simple, but I have no idea on what temperature or for how long to bake it. I would love to make it for supper tonight.

Any tips welcome! Thanks!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 2:37 pm
About an hour, at 375, or in the microwave for three minutes.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 2:54 pm
Wash and scrub potatoes. Pierce the potatoes with a fork. Wrap each one if foil. Bake for 1 hour, or a little more.

Liba

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 3:00 pm
ra_mom what it is the advantage of wrapping the potatoes in foil? I have been making them as you suggested but just on the oven racks, without the foil, for decades. We like crispy potato skins though.

justmarried

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 3:06 pm
Thank you for your responses!

Ra_mom: at what temperature do you bake it? Is 375 ok? And if the potatoes are wrapped in foil do I need to put them into a pan, or do they go directly onto the oven racks?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 3:08 pm
Liba wrote:
ra_mom what it is the advantage of wrapping the potatoes in foil? I have been making them as you suggested but just on the oven racks, without the foil, for decades. We like crispy potato skins though.
It keeps things soft, I guess the opposite of crispy. Smile

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 3:10 pm
justmarried wrote:
Thank you for your responses!

Ra_mom: at what temperature do you bake it? Is 375 ok? And if the potatoes are wrapped in foil do I need to put them into a pan, or do they go directly onto the oven racks?
375 is good.
You can place the wrapped potatoes either in a pan or on the racks.
(We like to make a garlic paste of non-hydrogenated margarine, crushed garlic, parsley flakes and salt - cut the potato in half, and smear the inside.)

justmarried

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 3:14 pm
Thank you so much!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 3:16 pm
Actually, just realized I do it on 400.
You can raise the temp in your oven if you'd like Smile

4Sisters

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 3:18 pm
Super important: make sure to prick the potatoes w. a fork as RA_mom says! Otherwise the pressure could build inside and the potatoes explode in your nice clean oven . Hatzlacha!

Grandmama

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 12:30 am
Perfect for a snowy day, I wrap them in silver foil, pierce with a fork, and bake on 350 for half an hour. Then serve with butter or sour cream, or melted cheese. My oven is dairy. If not, I would just boil them in water and take off the skins, they taste almost the same that way. The kids really enjoyed this treat today.

mom/2

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 2:29 am
I cut the potato in half and cut slits (not all the way through) in the length and width - as some people would do to a mango, except you don't flip it over. I put oil and spices on it, bake it on 350 for an hr. or more if not soft.

sarah86

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 3:20 am
http://www.howtobakeapotato.com/

This is a real website! It give detailed instructions! FYI-the potatoes come out great!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 6:13 am
Baking is far superior to nuking. I bake my twice baked potatoes and nuke for the reheating but a world of a difference.
I do it on high, like at least 450, for an hour. Crunchy outside, soft inside. Easy for scooping if that's the next step.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes