Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Trying to toilet train not getting anywhere!pulllleease help
Previous  1  2

Ani

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 3:00 pm
alwaysquestions wrote:

cant set a timer cause sometimes I put her on and makes 2 min later on the floor. go figure

This happened to us a lot too in the beginning. Of course, you've got to be ready for a certain amount of such 'accidents' when starting the training. I took them as a given, and the kitchen timer system really helped me to relax about it all, stop watching the clock, stop asking questions or expect my child to volunteer himself.

When I stopped worrying, my DS stopped worrying in turn, and it all fell into place in due course. Just give it time and keep your cool about it.

alwaysquestions

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 3:05 pm
Ani wrote:
alwaysquestions wrote:

cant set a timer cause sometimes I put her on and makes 2 min later on the floor. go figure

This happened to us a lot too in the beginning. Of course, you've got to be ready for a certain amount of such 'accidents' when starting the training. I took them as a given, and the kitchen timer system really helped me to relax about it all, stop watching the clock, stop asking questions or expect my child to volunteer himself.

When I stopped worrying, my DS stopped worrying in turn, and it all fell into place in due course. Just give it time and keep your cool about it.

so I shouldnt ask at all? or ask less often? after how long if the child didnt make do I need to start getting anxious that she needs to make already and could be an accident any minute?
thanks everyone btw!

curlyhead

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 3:46 pm
3 days is very hort.
I my mind there are a few stages.

1. sitting down on the pottyand knowng whatit is for. (age 2)
2. making occaisonly in he potty . by bath time. (start age 2.5) this could be for months.
3 toilet training - putting them in undies whn at home, motivating them with a small treat everytime they go.
4. Going a few hours straight with no acidents.
5.# 2 take longer to train
6. being dry most of the day (mabe 1 accident a day)
7. fully dry during the day.
8. dry at night which sometimes is not till the kid

If I is not worki or he is ot swing interest stop and wai a coupl months.

Ani

Post Fri, Dec 31 2010, 4:33 am
alwaysquestions wrote:
so I shouldnt ask at all? or ask less often?

I'm just speaking from my experience here and what worked for us.

No, I wouldn't ask the child at this age. I used to do it and found it just puts pressure on both of us. As I said in my previous post it didn’t work (maybe for older kids it does!). Then I realized that as far as he's concerned it doesn't make much difference to him whether he makes in the potty or on the floor. In fact, the former is less fun and requires an effort that you cannot expect of a 2 year old IMHO.

At this age this was really my idea - thus my business, my worry and my effort. I took it on myself, so to speak, and I’m just happy and grateful he cooperates as it is, even if not always. (The idea of making potty time fun, with toys and reading, etc. mentioned here doesn’t appeal to our family at all. We keep it matter-of-factly, brief and to the point. No focus, no discussion, no emotion, no excitement about it.)

Quote:
after how long if the child didnt make do I need to start getting anxious that she needs to make already and could be an accident any minute?
thanks everyone btw!

There will be such accidents, take it as granted and stop stressing over it. Just keep trying every so often, depending how much liquid your DD had - every half hour, every hour, every two hours - and expect it to be a hit and miss relationship in the beginning.

There are times, though, that I absolutely know it’s going to be a hit. For example, my DS always wants to make first thing upon waking up in the morning or from his day nap, and first thing upon coming home from his walk (come to think of it, don’t we all work like that?! Wink ). The rest of the times I time it depending on his liquid intake, and we rarely have accidents nowadays.

happymom1836

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 4:59 am
Maybe set a timer at 45 minute intervals. she will learn to associate the ding with the bathroom-like pavlovs dogs LOL, Just keep it happy and praise her for clean and dry frequently -don't just panic about wet wet wet
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training