Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can I give 6 month old cheerios and puffs

purplesquare

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 9:17 am
she is 6 months old has been eating jar food for a month and can sit for long periods on her own. has one tooth that just broke through is she ready?

4ofus

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 9:35 am
I've given my kids puffs from 5-6 months. Try to start with the puffs since they melt in the mouth and in a few weeks if she's doing well then try the cheerios. I'm sure you know this already but make sure to put her in a high chair when you're giving her the food to minimize choking.

lifesajourney

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 9:43 am
I know my doctor said only purees so far (mine is 6 months with two teeth and been eating solids since 4 moths). puffs melt, so I guess its ok. they have teeth but not always do they know to chew. they just swallow. starting with puffs is a good idea though

obagys

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 10:37 am
I always start with Cheerios! 6 months is not too young.

cubbie

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 10:37 am
When and what they eat has nothing to do with having teeth, babies without teeth can gum food. The question is whether the baby is ready for finger food, the idea of finger food is that the baby picks them up and puts them in their mouth, try is and see. If you're putting them in the babies mouth there's really no point your baby doesn't need them and isn't gaining anything from them.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 10:39 am
I would. The puffs are prob easier to dissolve. I would give those.

PIP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 11:03 am
cubbie wrote:
When and what they eat has nothing to do with having teeth, babies without teeth can gum food. The question is whether the baby is ready for finger food, the idea of finger food is that the baby picks them up and puts them in their mouth, try is and see. If you're putting them in the babies mouth there's really no point your baby doesn't need them and isn't gaining anything from them.

Thumbs Up

Kayza

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 12:57 pm
purplesquare wrote:
she is 6 months old has been eating jar food for a month and can sit for long periods on her own. has one tooth that just broke through is she ready?
Puffs are one thing - no nutritive value, and just takes up space, but probably not dangerous. Cheerios pose a choking hazard at that age.

Soul on fire

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 2:57 pm
I'm not sure what puffs are but I also think cheerios are a choking hazard. I don't think finger foods are recommended until 9-12 months.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 4:49 pm
FrumMamaPA wrote:
I'm not sure what puffs are but I also think cheerios are a choking hazard. I don't think finger foods are recommended until 9-12 months.

These are puffs

http://www.walgreens.com/store.....59980

Soul on fire

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 7:13 pm
Sweet Valley Gal wrote:
FrumMamaPA wrote:

These are puffs

http://www.walgreens.com/store.....59980

oh ok...I never gave those to my kids...not for any reason just didn't. I'm thinking I didn't know they were kosher.

I'm one of those hippy dippy mamas that delayed solids with my 2nd and extended breastfeeding so...I guess I am opposed to any "hard" foods under a year.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 8:34 pm
I think I started with cheerios at around 7 months old. I was nervous about choking but my baby just instinctively knew to keep it in her mouth until it gets soggy then swallow it so once I saw she knew that, I gave her cheerios all the time. Also, like someone pointed out, its also the idea of finger foods and things like cheerios help babies develop their fine motor skills by picking them up and putting them in their mouth. I never gave my baby puffs cuz I just couldn't imagine how they had any nutritional value, just puffs of air but I dont see why you can't give them to a 6 month old. Keeps them busy, develops their fine motor skills and melts in their mouth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics