Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
SOO tired any ideas?

willow

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 7:50 am
I had a really harrowing week. Plus my two month old is really not sleeping well. My sis in law is coming to us for her shabbos in Isreal. As we never get to see her it is special. I love cooking generally but I am so so tired.
I want to make a lovely meal but I have no energy.

Any really nice ideas that are able to be attractive but does not require time?
I know roasted chicken and potatoes is easy yum and filling but I do have a reputation with their family that I would like to maintain (Yes I do that often but I want it to be extra special this week)

EMmom

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 8:11 am
sesame pasta salad is super pretty and easy

do spinach, broc. or caulif. kugel using frozen veggies so its a one bowl recipe (no precooking) and put it in a pie shell to make it pretty

another veggie idea from short on time - bag of california veggies(carrots, broc. and cauliflower), can of creamed corn and sprinkle with french's fried onions

do an asian cole slaw using the bag so its a dump recipe (I use craisins and ramen noodles instead of having to toast the almonds and sesame)

carrot muffins using jar of baby carrots so its also a one bowl

willow

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 8:27 am
These are great ideas and I hate to say but...
But Wink
I don't buy those veggies as they are a fortune near me. Also no baby carrots in jar here or french fried onions.

viv

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 8:34 am
Grilled chicken cutlets!

Fabulous salad:
3 Ripe avocado
1 can hearts of palm
1/2 small read onion diced
cherry tomatoes or cubed tomato
1 TB mayo
1tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp slat
dash of pepper

shabri

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 8:36 am
I recently made shabbos for someone--so easy took no time.

Zucchini soup (I found it on here but it was in one of the KBD)

Orange juice chicken

slice onions sprinkle with some salt.
Put chicken pieces on top
spoon on frozen OJ (I use Prigat brand has at OK from the US. Its 8 shekel a container here) shmoosh around
Sprinkle with paprika
bake 1 hr covered-- then abt 20 min uncovered
oven brown rice
salad

baked apples for dessert

willow

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 8:50 am
I have avocados but no hearts of palms. The chicken sounds really good. Maybe I will slice some fresh oranges, sprinkle fresh parsley and zest a lemon do you think it would taste good like that?

Simple1

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 8:53 am
I like this from All Recipes.com. I bake it longer than an hour until everything is soft.
Zucchini and Potato Bake (from AllRecipes.com)

Ingredients

2 medium zucchini, quartered and cut into large pieces
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, sliced
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup olive oil
paprika to taste
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
In a medium baking pan, toss together the zucchini, potatoes, red bell pepper, garlic, bread crumbs, and olive oil. Season with paprika, salt, and pepper.
Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender and lightly brown.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 9:12 am
willow wrote:
I had a really harrowing week. Plus my two month old is really not sleeping well. My sis in law is coming to us for her shabbos in Isreal. As we never get to see her it is special. I love cooking generally but I am so so tired.
I want to make a lovely meal but I have no energy.

Any really nice ideas that are able to be attractive but does not require time?
I know roasted chicken and potatoes is easy yum and filling but I do have a reputation with their family that I would like to maintain (Yes I do that often but I want it to be extra special this week)
What do you usually like to serve? Maybe we can help you with a simple recipe for something like that.

geemum

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 4:45 pm
I have a really easy recipe for bola. I think that's shoulder in the U.S. Really delicious and impassive.
No wierd ingredients : red wine duck sauce and garlic (powder or fresh). Can't give exact recipe now, let me know if u want it
So easy, the hardest part is to slice it!!!!

Also French beans is super easy - put in container cover with boiling salt and seasonings and put on blech/hotplate.

Easy salad - grate carrots, add tin of pineapple, sugar, lemon juice. Mix and put in fridge, just before serving sprinkle dessicated coconut on top.

There's an easy, one bowl, carrot kugel/muffin recipe in "cooking with color". If u want recipe let me know.

For desert: make basic one bowl choc brownie and cut with cookie cutter. Cut ice cream also with cutter and stack. Serve either with hot choc sauce (see below) or strawberry coolie served in shot glasses

Hot choc sauce. About 10 minutes before u serve desert, dunk bottle it liebers choc syrup in tub of hot water.

Strawberry: acket of frozen strawberries blended. Add sugar and lemon juice to taste. Option to add soya milk.

gold21

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 5:23 pm
which veggies do you buy? If you can get zuchinni, you can do a lot with that. either zuchinni soup, as mentioned by a poster already- which is super easy- just sautee onions and zuchinni, add water and salt and spices, cook, and blend with hand blender- its seriously super fast and easy! or maybe zuchinni salad- sautee zuchinni, green pepper, onion, mushroom, add tomato sauce, salt, sugar, a drop of lemon juice, cook, and serve warm or room temp. maybe make deli roll, thats supposed to be easy, tho I have never done it. for dessert, you can take a pie shell and fill it with a chocolate pudding-unwhipped rich's whip mix, then add whipped rich's whip as the top layer, then add chocolate sprinkles on top. for kugel, I have a super easy noodle kugel recipe, which calls for egg noodles, parve milk, onion soup mix, eggs, mushrooms, french cut string beans- but I dont know if you can get french cut string beans? dunno what else...

willow

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 5:03 am
Thank you for helping me out in the end I did a simple menu
I made:
Whole wheat Italian bread
Whole wheat sweet fluffy challah ( in freezer)

Smoked tuna with romaine and fruit
chicken soup (freezer)
citrus chicken with fresh parsley, tomatoes and confit of onions
steamed baby carrots
pico de gallo
Whole roasted baby potatoes
Roasted garlic jalapeños and onion spread
Fresh broccoli with fresh mushrooms steamed with garlic and drizzled with EVOO
Fruit salad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus