Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
What to do with corn flour?

binah918

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 5:38 am
Dh and I went on a bit of a shopping spree at the health food store. We bought a bunch of new things to try, including a big bag of corn flour. I made bread last night and replaced 1 C of whole-wheat flour with 1 C of corn flour. The bread flopped. I looked online afterwards and read that corn flour really isn't the same as flour. It's more like pure starch. Besides using it for thickener, (which was recommended online), what can I do with it? We have about 10 C left!?

(Btw, in case someone's going to cecommend cornbread, you need cornmeal for that. And cornmeal is not the same as cornflour. I already checked.)

Mishie

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 7:16 am
Hi, the only way I've ever used corn-flour was in
Lemon Meringue Pie.

(It can also be used as thickener in gravies and sauces)

binah918

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 8:25 am
Hmmm, lemon meringue pie?! Not exactly what we were thinking when we bought the corn flour at the HEALTH FOOD store! But on second thought...!

de_goldy

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 8:28 am
pudding

southernbubby

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 8:37 am
Can it be used as a substitute for matzoh meal if you are breading chicken or making salmon patties?

Mishie

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 8:53 am
Re: The schnitzel idea:
I've heard of "double breading" the schnitzel. You dip the schnitzel into the cornflour, then into egg, and then into the seasoned bread-crumbs.

It's supposed to make it really crispy, as it absorbs all the moisture that's left on the schnitzel.

Give it try! It can't hurt!

(BTW, if you want me to post the recipe for the Lemon Pie, let me know. We make it pretty frequently)

binah918

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 10:29 am
Yes, please post the recipe Mishie. Thnx!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 10:41 am
corn bread. corn muffins.

chen

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 12:49 pm
SaraG wrote:
corn bread. corn muffins.

for that you need corn MEAL, not corn FLOUR.
OP, I think that is the same as cornstarch. Is it pure white, very fine and soft? If so, use it in lieu of talcum powder.

From http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/e.....2085:

"Corn flour, or masa flour is made from dried corn which has been slaked (soaked in lime water). After the corn is soaked in the lime solution is it washed and the exterior hulls removed. The damp corn is then gournd into fine flour. Masa is used for making corn tortilla as well as tamales, empandas as well as various other Latino foods. Corn flour can be made of either white, yellow or blue corn.

Cornstarch
british: corn flour

Cornstarch (or corn flour) is a fine, powdery flour made from the endosperm of corn kernals. We use cornstarch as a thickener for sauces, puddings and even stir-fries. To avoid lumps always mix cornstarch with liquid before adding it to the dish you wish to thicken.

Equivalents
1 tbsp., thickens comparable to 2 tbsp. of flour "

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 1:27 pm
Oh, I'm sorry !!!!!!!!!!!

chen

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 1:58 pm
SaraG wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry !!!!!!!!!!!

hey, no sweat, it was an honest--and very common--mistake. "Corn flour" sounds much more appealing and nutritious than "corn starch", don't you think?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads