Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Sewing on motzai shabbos

sarachana

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 8:58 pm
Does anyone know about this? and if so do you know of a source? TIA

shanie5

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 11:29 pm
As far as I know its just minhag-not halacha.

That being said, I will cut, measure, pin, etc on motzei shabbos-I just dont do the actual sewing.

BZBEE

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 12:07 am
Not sure if it's halacha, but we never cut nails, hair or sew on motzei shabbos.

Debbyl

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 2:44 am
I always knew that if one's parents are not alive, they should not sew on motzei shabbos. Otherwise there's no problem with it.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 4:24 am
Apparently, and I don't know the source for this, but I heard that Gehinnom is closed on Shabbos, and re-opens for business when we start work, ie sewing, so we don't do it. The reason for not cutting nails at night (every night) is because years ago light was scarce at night, and if you lose a nail you might not find it, and you are supposed to keep track of your nail clippings, both for kabbalistic reasons and to prevent a pregnant woman stepping on them and miscarrying (also kabbalistic, I guess, but...)

amother

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 8:48 am
I had never heard of this until I got married and my dh's family insisted that you can't sew on motzei shabbos because that was when the tachrichim (death shrouds) were sewn. However, when we asked a rav, he had no idea what we were talking about.

bubby

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 9:16 am
amother wrote:
I had never heard of this until I got married and my dh's family insisted that you can't sew on motzei shabbos because that was when the tachrichim (death shrouds) were sewn. However, when we asked a rav, he had no idea what we were talking about.

My family's minhag & reasons. Same reasons why we don't cut nails or hair Motzoi Shabbos/yom tov (although the hair on a meiss is only gathered [loose, stray hairs] not cut. But nails ARE cleaned on a meiss, so the leap from cleaning to cutting is understandable.) I'm going to ask my mother if she knows how this was derived. I'll let y'all know if I get any info.

Liba

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 9:25 am
We don't sew m"sh for the same reasons. My FIL is still traumatized that my SIL ended up finishing her chassuna dress motzei shabbos (which was rosh chodesh as well). He refused to let the daughters after her sew their own chassuna dresses for fear that the same thing would end up happening.

grin

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 10:09 am
I understood that the issur is not to do actual melacha (ie sewing or laundry) before havdala (and preferably also after eating or drinking something hot), as opposed to lighter melacha's like muktza or turning on a light, which you're allowed to do as soon as Shabbos is out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions