Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Heavy Cream
1  2  Next

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 4:37 pm
I picked up a BIG treat of some heavy cream. This is a big treat because I live OOT and keep strictly CY.

Please, tell me what you'd make. Preferably, easy stuff, and if you have recipes, include those too!

TIA

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 4:59 pm
fettuccine alfredo
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....fredo

penne a la vodka
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....penne

ttbtbm

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 5:02 pm
KBD short on time has an amazing alfredo recipe.
If you want a quickie just melt butter and add flour then pour in heavy cream and stir over low flame until thickened. Add some salt and pepper and pour over pasta. You can also saute some fresh mushrooms in the butter first for a mushroom cream sauce.
Enjoy!

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 5:34 pm
I have an easier recipe for frttucini alfredo. so so good and so so simple

2 c heavy cream bring to boil and let simmer for 20 minutes. add in salt lots of garlic and some pepper and then 2/3 c parmesean cheese.

cook noodles and pour over and serve.

saute a mushroom and add it in.

ttbtbm

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 6:53 pm
That is easier. I don't like parmesean cheese so I alsways look for recipes without it. Forgot that most people love it!

CK2

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 8:40 pm
Penne A'la Vodka definitely
I make a big batch of sauce and freeze in containers. (If the sauce has cheese I only add the cheese when I reheat the sauce to add to the pasta)
Regular frozen heavy cream - freezes up to 1 month. But once you cook it with other things it could last 2-3 months in the freezer.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 10:20 pm
CK2 wrote:
I make a big batch of sauce and freeze in containers. (If the sauce has cheese I only add the cheese when I reheat the sauce to add to the pasta)
Regular frozen heavy cream - freezes up to 1 month. But once you cook it with other things it could last 2-3 months in the freezer.
Are you sure that it only lasts for one month when frozen?
I've seen it in stores in the freezer, and I am sure they don't replenish their stock each month.

cookielady

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 10:21 pm
You can always just whip it up with a bit of sugar and serve over ice cream or fresh fruit.

CK2

Post Thu, Jan 20 2011, 10:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:
CK2 wrote:
I've seen it in stores in the freezer, and I am sure they don't replenish their stock each month.

It has lasted 5 weeks but after that the cream isn't good anymore. When I first heard this I disagreed with the person but after freezing heavy cream many times I realized she was right. Where do they freeze heavy cream? Non dairy whip topping I always see frozen or coffee creamer.

yummydd

Post Thu, Jan 20 2011, 10:41 pm
You can make cream tarts decorated with fruits.
Milky napolean cake
Hot mocha drinks or cold coffee served with heavy cream on top

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 21 2011, 7:45 am
A friend says it's scrumptuous in coffee.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 22 2011, 10:37 pm
CK2 wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
CK2 wrote:

It has lasted 5 weeks but after that the cream isn't good anymore. When I first heard this I disagreed with the person but after freezing heavy cream many times I realized she was right. Where do they freeze heavy cream? Non dairy whip topping I always see frozen or coffee creamer.
There are some supermarkets/groceries that keep it in the freezer section year round, and only sell it fresh before Shavuous and the 9 days.

CK2

Post Sat, Jan 22 2011, 11:00 pm
I cut this out as part of a disscussion if u can freeze heavy cream on chow
I think she explains it better than I did Smile

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/292566

Yes, you can freeze whipped cream, but after it is thawed, it will not work as an ingredient in emulsions (e.g., ice cream or custards) nor will it whip into whipped cream. However, you can make ganache with it, or use it in cake batter, or in coffee or hot chocolate. I frequently freeze heavy cream when I have too much on hand, and thaw it to make ganache when I need to frost a cake. Hope this helps.
Permalink | Reply
By La dolce vita on Apr 23, 2003 03:22PM

ClaRivka

Post Sat, Jan 22 2011, 11:33 pm
question- I saw heavy whipping cream in the cy milk section- is that the same thing as regular heavy cream?

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 3:38 am
chocolate moose wrote:
A friend says it's scrumptuous in coffee.

My mom always bought more whipping cream than she needed (for a dessert recipe) and used it in coffee. It is quite good. If you have a toddler who you are trying to fatten up (ie. he was sick and lost some weight) then adding whipping cream to cottage cheese, yogourt, milk..etc works well.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 9:44 am
CK2 wrote:
I cut this out as part of a disscussion if u can freeze heavy cream on chow
I think she explains it better than I did Smile

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/292566

Yes, you can freeze whipped cream, but after it is thawed, it will not work as an ingredient in emulsions (e.g., ice cream or custards) nor will it whip into whipped cream. However, you can make ganache with it, or use it in cake batter, or in coffee or hot chocolate. I frequently freeze heavy cream when I have too much on hand, and thaw it to make ganache when I need to frost a cake. Hope this helps.
Permalink | Reply
By La dolce vita on Apr 23, 2003 03:22PM
Thanks for the info. That makes lots of sense. (I have never actually whipped Milchig heavy cream, so don't have experience with this.)

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 9:46 am
ClaRivka wrote:
question- I saw heavy whipping cream in the cy milk section- is that the same thing as regular heavy cream?
Is this what you saw?
http://allfreshkosher.com/dair......html
(This is what they sell here.)

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 7:21 pm
no darling, the cy farm out here is called lamers dairy

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 9:16 am
ClaRivka wrote:
no darling, the cy farm out here is called lamers dairy
You must be getting very fresh stuff then!

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 9:46 am
I suppose, we get a delivery once a week
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals