Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
When do your kids stop wearing bibs?

Mommy F.

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 6:44 pm
My 2 year old has started refusing to wear bibs.
Should I just give in to his newly discovered independence?
or should I keep trying to force him to where it.
in playgroup no kids that age wear bibs, but I find that if he doesn't wear
a bib for dinner his clothes get dirty.
I mean I put all his clothes in the laundry every night anyways before I get his pj's on.
I am just wondering what other mother's do.

thanks

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 6:50 pm
my daughter stopped wearing a bib around that age. I figured, if she did not want to, it was time to teach her how to eat properly and well, it worked. Yes, it took a while and a lot of dirty clothing Smile but that is why we have a washer and drier and so it was no big deal to me.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 6:50 pm
I got smocks/aprons and we all wear them. Eating, crafts, cleaning, etc.

mamommommy

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 7:09 pm
I also stopped when my kids started pulling them off, usually around 18-24 months. With one of them I fought to keep the bib on only because they were distinctly non-proficient with the fork/spoon and made a huge mess at every meal. Otherwise, the small spot or two wasn't worth the battle.

2busy

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 7:14 pm
ds 2.5 wears it on shabbas for grapr juice for reg suppers I dont care if its st that stains just take off their shirt and wear undershirt only
I buy smock bibs and dd age 4 likes to keep her clothes not stained so will put on as well if I request gluck

amother

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 4:23 am
Am I the only one with a 10 and 8 year old still with bibs?

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 6:38 am
amother wrote:

most likely...

mamommommy

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 6:46 am
amother wrote:

I've seen grown men wear aprons at the shabbos table (and no, they're not serving). Does that count?

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 7:54 am
You may be able to get kids to wear them longer if they can choose the style. But at some point they will refuse no matter what.

MIL's friend had a "dining apron" (bib) that she wore even in fancy restaurants. Seriously, why should she stain her expensive blouses?

Maybe call it a "big kid dining apron".

obagys

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 12:45 pm
My kids wore them as long as they'd let me put them on. Once they started putting up a fight, it wasn't worth it, especially since the clothes get washed anyway after being worn that day. Some wore it till about 3yrs, others around 1yr. I have a 9 month old now and half the time I don't bother with the bib with her - she doesn't mind it but I'm too lazy to find where I've put her bib after the last time, lol. Luckily, she's not a sloppy eater!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 12:51 pm
My 5 and 6 year old still use them when home.

The 5 year old is kind of messy and spills a lot...I don't like stained clothing.
Although, I don't take them with to grandparents/restuarants etc...

amother

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 12:58 pm
amother wrote:

My mother used to make us wear bibs on shabbos when we ate. We HATED it. I was about 9 (oldest was 11) when we all refused to wear them. Btw they were awful. They were full smocks with sleeves and looked anything but pretty and shabbosdik. We even had to wear them when guests were eating at our house.

I don't make my kids wear bibs. As soon as they don't want to wear one (age 1-2 so far) they learn how to eat properly. If they get a bit dirty WHO CARES. They are kids. I also (gasp) let my kids play with dirt and sand. And splash in puddles. Let them have fun. I bh have a washer/dryer and good stain remover.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 1:11 pm
At about ten months or so they all go on strike. I give in. I fight enough for other things in life.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 1:58 pm
I made sure to get my kids and myself fabulous "smocks" that we liked to wear. No way was I ruining clothes. I still wear aprons and have several really great ones from ebay, used, at $2 each. Look around.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 2:10 pm
DD always hated the bib. We started her on them around 6 months, before that we used a cloth. We stopped when we moved out of my parents (they insisted on it), she was around one and half.

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 2:40 pm
All my kids wear bibs, up to and including the eight-year-old. At the beginning of my parenting journey, I never could understand the point of bibs, since it seemed that the food always landed everywhere but the bib. Then I discovered using art smocks (or sleeved bibs) instead of standard bibs. I have had some custom made in my kids' sizes and they helped choose the fabrics.

They do not seem to resent wearing the bibs. In fact, I think my eight-year-old sees the wisdom in it when she has a pretty dress on and doesn't want to ruin it. I don't necessarily make them wear them in public, but I don't think they would mind. Usually, I don't bring them out, so it doesn't really come up.

I'm not one to obsess about my kids getting dirty. I take them to the park and let them get muddy and that's that. Still, the stains I spend the most time on are always the food stains. I think it's great to avoid a bit of that work. Why not?

I would be happy to wear a "bib" all day. I have been meaning to buy some of these wrap-around lab coats I used to wear over my clothes at my old job; regular aprons don't cover enough for me. B"H, most of my clothes are dark colors and don't stain easily, but it would be nice to be able to go out in the evening after a day with my kids without changing my clothes.

thinking mom

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 3:13 pm
I usually manage to insist (no bib, no food) until age two. After that, I look the other way when they pull it off unless they are 1. wearing something stunning and hard to clean (rare) or 2. eating something really messy (choc. pudding anyone?). When those two things happen, I can even ask my six year old to wear a bib. But then again, it's not often.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics