Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How do I know if my child has a sensory issue?

amother

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 8:14 pm
How do I know if my almost 2 year old has a sensory issue?

Some things I noticed about my child:
*picky eater
*likes frozen foods and eating ice cubes
*wont play with playdough or challah/cookie dough
*constantly pulling of socks

In all other areas, s/he is very advanced. Language is B"H great, pronunciation not so great but still ok. Gross motor skills and social skills are beautiful. Fine motor skills we are working on.

Any advice?

My pediatrician brushes off all my concerns (yes, I know, not ok. But were looking into a new one) he assumes that since I am a very involved and caring mom, these things will be ok.

Ashrei

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 8:28 pm
There's a book called "The Out of Sync Child" that talks about sensory perception disorder.

Also, if you live in Brooklyn, you can contact Early Intervention and they can send an evaluator. (They're not always that great, but at least you'll have another opinion.) Occupational Therapists evaluate for this.

c.c.cookie

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 10:43 pm
Excuse me for asking, but what difference does it make?
My point is, if your child is developing normally, is happy and well adjusted, and doing well at home and out of it, then why would it matter if she has some slight sensory issues. I think you only need to worry about it if it's affecting her development, her behavior or her emotional well-being - or if it's driving you crazy.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 2:23 pm
Ashrei wrote:
There's a book called "The Out of Sync Child" that talks about sensory perception disorder.

Also, if you live in Brooklyn, you can contact Early Intervention and they can send an evaluator. (They're not always that great, but at least you'll have another opinion.) Occupational Therapists evaluate for this.

Thanks. I'll check out the book. And I'm not in NY, but thanks anyways.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 2:29 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
My point is, if your child is developing normally, is happy and well adjusted, and doing well at home and out of it, then why would it matter if she has some slight sensory issues. I think you only need to worry about it if it's affecting her development, her behavior or her emotional well-being - or if it's driving you crazy.

Because if there is any problem, I want to be sure to "nip it in the bud". I don't want it to affect my child years down the line, when it will be more difficult to fix. And as I mentioned earlier, there are certain activities s/he won't participate in, and I want to be sure that is all normal.

superjew

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 2:30 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:

I agree. I think I have some slight sensory issue which was never brought up because it hasn't effected me or my lifestyle b'H. I dont think it is an issue unless it is!

Good luck either way!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 2:53 pm
amother wrote:

*picky eater

In all other areas, s/he is very advanced. Language is B"H great, pronunciation not so great but still ok. Gross motor skills and social skills are beautiful. Fine motor skills we are working on.

Any advice?

My pediatrician brushes off all my concerns (yes, I know, not ok. But were looking into a new one) he assumes that since I am a very involved and caring mom, these things will be ok.

Hi OP. I'm an OT and while I can't evaluate your child from your post whatsoever, I would not be terribly concerned, especially at this age. It can be that s/he will grow out of it. From the sound of not wanting to touch playdough or challah, that tends to occur with kids who are sensory defensive and dislike that sensory experience. However, wanting to eat ice cubs is sensory seeking whereby s/he wants that oral stimulation. Taken together, I would not be concerned unless I saw something like a mini-tantrum if you tried to get your child to touch the playdough. Wait a while - see if the child grows out of it or if it gets worse, e.g. won't step in puddles, dislikes baths, etc. Hope this helps. Hatzlacha!

gryp

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 4:14 pm
Here's a great list, you may recognize behaviors on the list that you hadn't noticed before.
http://www.sensory-processing-......html

amother

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

*picky eater

Any advice?

Hi OP. I'm an OT and while I can't evaluate your child from your post whatsoever, I would not be terribly concerned, especially at this age. It can be that s/he will grow out of it. From the sound of not wanting to touch playdough or challah, that tends to occur with kids who are sensory defensive and dislike that sensory experience. However, wanting to eat ice cubs is sensory seeking whereby s/he wants that oral stimulation. Taken together, I would not be concerned unless I saw something like a mini-tantrum if you tried to get your child to touch the playdough. Wait a while - see if the child grows out of it or if it gets worse, e.g. won't step in puddles, dislikes baths, etc. Hope this helps. Hatzlacha!

Thanks. I will keep this in mind.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 7:20 pm
grip wrote:
Here's a great list, you may recognize behaviors on the list that you hadn't noticed before.

Excellent link. Thank you so much! Very helpful!

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 11:51 am
grip wrote:

Wow, that list is certainly very comprehensive. I would say that pretty much everyone on the planet has some of those "symptoms". Reading through it almost got me convinced that I, dh, our kids, and a whole lot of other people must have sensory issues. So take it with a grain of salt - if the person is functioning well, developing well, generally happy and able to do whatever it is they need to do, such as playing and going through with routine daily activities if it's a young child, they most probably do not have a problem.

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 11:58 am
The point of the list is to be aware of what might be a sensory issue.

And I think that a lot of people do have some type/s of sensory dysfunction.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics