Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Melave Malka--what can I serve?

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 7:52 pm
We need to organise a melave malka for about 50 people. As shabbat ends relatively early and many people keep 6 hours after meaty lunch, I don't think I want to serve anything milky. I can definitely do hot foods, but preferably something that can be made before shabbat and reheated after shabbat. We'll probably start around 7pm, so I suspect people would come with reasonably good appetite.

Any good suggestions?

Fabulous

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 7:56 pm
A bunch of different type of salads like caesar, regular pasta, angel hair pasta, pepper, corn etc...
grilled/roasted veggies
salmon or salmon wellington

sushilover

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 7:58 pm
I made melava malka for about 30 people in the winter.
We did it buffet style- set out deli rolls, chicken nuggets,pepper steak, rice, potatoes, knishes, orzo, lo mein, and lots and lots of salads

This did come out to be more expensive than I anticipated though. Thank goodness, my sisters chipped in to help foot the bill.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 8:06 pm
Thanks. For salad and pasta, do you prepare motzei shabbat (not sure if I'd have time as I need to do setting up), or can I prepare before shabbat (meaning as early as Thursday night as I work Fridays)?

baskrox

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 8:11 pm
Bagels
Tuna
Eggs
Salads

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 8:14 pm
Bourekas reheat well. You could make potato and/or spinach.
Make dressings for salad and wash and cut vegetables before Shabbat and toss it all together after Shabbat.

Avrahamamma

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 9:17 pm
I would prepare all the salad components separately and then do assembly and dressing after shabbat. same goes for the pasta.

also I like cold poached salmon with sauce - dill sauce, mustard sauce.

you can even do a salmon nicoise salad - here's a nice recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec......html

any vegetable based soup is also great you can serve in high quality plastic disposable cups (the kind they use for tea with the handle)that works very well in a buffet - carrot ginger soup, minestrone soup, split pea soup, etc.

sleepwalking

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 4:47 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Thanks. For salad and pasta, do you prepare motzei shabbat (not sure if I'd have time as I need to do setting up), or can I prepare before shabbat (meaning as early as Thursday night as I work Fridays)?

You can definitely prepare everything thursday, just don't add the things that can get mushy (croutons, etc). We did a melave malke like that and everything was delicious!!

MuppetLover

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 9:07 am
I would think as its winter, a great big hearty pot of soup, butternut squash for example, or chili would even be great and economical.
Boruekas
Dips
Challah rolls
3-4 salads

Even when Shabbos ends early a lot of people dont really want to eat so much bc they have just eaten lunch 3 hours before sometimes and they feel weighed down by cholent.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 10:16 am
wraps
mini pitas with something ontop of it
galbia mini potato knishes
chips n salsa
triffle

MuppetLover

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 4:13 pm
Bluberry Muffin, I def. agree w. your menu way more than my own suggestions. I am currently thinking of wraps....YUM! I made pan seared tuna wraps for Shabbos lunch last week, I marinated the tuna steaks in teriyaki sauce, ginger, and sesame oil, then seared. And bc it was I n wraps, I put lettuce, tomato, and avocado. So 3 lbs of tuna steak (which can be PRICEY) went to feed 10...DH usually complains if I skimp on something (his thought is that if we cant afford it, dont buy it AT ALL) and he said the wraps were fantastic and full.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus