Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My kid won't sleep!!!!!!

craisin

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:08 pm
what do u do with a toddler that has sleeping issues??? my 18 month is suffering! it takes him abt 2 hrs to fall asleep. I feel like he's spending too many hrs in his crib. is there anything to do abt this?

dhm

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:20 pm
ask ur dr about meletonin. I give it to my 15 month old. her nights r much better bh.

allergypro

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 9:21 pm
another vote for melochew.

shnitzel

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 9:29 pm
I would first play around with bedtime before giving my kid extra hormones. Every time my daughter starts having a lot of trouble falling asleep it is because her sleep needs have changed. An earlier or later bedtime or earlier or later nap or possibly dropping a nap can work wonders. The only way my toddler goes to bed at a normal hour is if she doesn't nap at all.

spring13

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 9:32 pm
what kind of routine do you have going? have you tried any sleep training techniques? what kind of environment does LO sleep in?

you can talk to your doctor, but I would make absolutely sure that it was not a behavioral issue before I thought about using a hormone.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 9:37 pm
What are his daytime and nighttime sleep schedules?

craisin

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 9:57 pm
he wakes up at abt 7 in the morning. I usually put him back at 11:00. now the trouble starts from here & on. he could jump around & play with toys...he usually doesn't cry to get out. he can be blabbling for 1-2 hrs easily before falling asleep. (I know ull tell me that he's probably not tired , but I can tell u that he can't walk straight at that point anymore! he goes crazy at 10 already, but I try to pull as long as possible, so hell fall asleep right away.)he usually naps for abt 2 hrs . that means he wakes at abt 3. my other ones are home at that time already, & I feel like my son slept the entire day, when in reality , he really just spent his day in bed. the same thing follows in the evening. help!

MommytoB

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 10:14 pm
18 month is the transition from two naps to one so that sounds right. But if he is not falling asleep for 2 hours (!) you are saying he is up in his crib from 11am - 1pm? and then sleeps from 1 - 3? That does seem excessive. I am all for scheduling naptime, but if it is not working, change it! Try putting him down at 12. If he is falling apart by 11, read to him quietly in his room from 11 - 12 to wind him down for naptime. Have a set routine to get him into napping mode. Good luck!

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 2:08 pm
If he's not walking straight at ten, he's probably overtired and hyper by eleven, when you put him in. Maybe you can try putting him in at ten, when he seems tired, and see what happens. If he's napping til three, I'm not surprised he has a hard time falling asleep in the evening. He's probably not tired.

Alternatively, when you say he's tired at ten, can it be that he's actually just bored? Do you take him out in the morning? maybe he needs a change of scenery and some action before his nap.

gingerbreadmom

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 2:13 pm
one of my children has been like that since the day they were born. they slept pretty well once they fell asleep but getting to that point was tourture. ive tried everything I can think of and still 7 years later it the same. ive tried melatonin and it didnt work at all. some kids are like that. if anyone has any really original ideas that have worked please share.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics