Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
I feed my baby food on the floor.
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 12:33 pm
Many times I will put a bunch of cheerios or gerber baby puffs on the floor and let my baby eat it. I feel so bad doing this but sometimes I just need a minute to take care of something, and she is so happy doing this. Is this terrible, does anyone else do this?

MrsMortgage

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 12:38 pm
Why not put them on a paper plate on a blanket or mat and have your kid sit there? Or in the bottom of a pack n play?

small bean

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 1:25 pm
I do that or sometimes I put the food on a chair - depends on my mood.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 1:45 pm
I do it. My baby is much happier being able to move about instead of strapped into a high chair. I don't feel bad...how do you think she started eating solids? By finding the food that fell onto the floor Smile

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 1:48 pm
Maybe you could find a bowl with a suction cup on the bottom and then attach that to the floor, rather than putting the food directly on the floor. Otherwise, just make sure you keep your floor SUPER clean! Smile

bigsis144

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:
Many times I will put a bunch of cheerios or gerber baby puffs on the floor and let my baby eat it. I feel so bad doing this but sometimes I just need a minute to take care of something, and she is so happy doing this. Is this terrible, does anyone else do this?

As long as the floor isn't dirty, and the food isn't too squishy or liquidy, why not? I totally do this.
We call DS "Hoover" 'cuz he vacuums the kitchen floor. Smile

obagys

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 2:28 pm
I do this all the time, too! I tried to put the food in a cup/plate, but it just gets dumped out anyway, so what's the point. At dinnertime, my baby always shovels in all her food fast while being fed in the high chair. After she's done, I usually take her out and put her down to play in the living room. Somehow, every time, she crawls back to the kitchen, goes under the table, and happily gobbles up any crumbs or fallen food from the other kids, just like a little puppy, lol.

chanee

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 3:28 pm
Me too. I also give food for my toddler staight on the floor. up to when she was able to go up a chair & sit herself it was on daily basis. Now when she`s a liitle bigger, almost 2, I still do it sometimes. I think it`s typical doing it & normal. Usually I do vaccum after she finished.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 3:30 pm
I don't put food directly on the floor even if my child will do that right away. It's not respectful to the food or the child. But they don't seem to get that Confused

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 3:41 pm
amother wrote:

I don't think it's a wonderful idea to get your baby used to eating off the floor. Can you put it on a coffee table or even a chair?

MeadowsLane

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 4:51 pm
From reading all of the replies this practice seems somewhat common. I, however, am shocked! No matter how clean we think our floors are, they are not that clean. There are millions of bacteria there... Would you ever sit down and eat your food straight off the floor? Why would you let your kids do that? How hard is it to put a little plate, placemat, or bowl?

MrsMortgage

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 4:58 pm
MeadowsLane wrote:
From reading all of the replies this practice seems somewhat common. I, however, am shocked! No matter how clean we think our floors are, they are not that clean. There are millions of bacteria there... Would you ever sit down and eat your food straight off the floor? Why would you let your kids do that? How hard is it to put a little plate, placemat, or bowl?
Yes

rovacat

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 5:01 pm
your kitchen sponge has a lot more bacteria than your kitchen floor. I'm sorry to break that to you.
and it isn't healthy for your baby to be in a sterile environment all the time. germs in moderation are healthy.n

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 5:19 pm
MeadowsLane wrote:

Do you let your baby crawl on the floor? If so, then his hands are just as dirty as the floor, and babies are constantly putting their hands into their mouths.

superjew

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 5:29 pm
I agree...germs are healthy in moderation. Helps to build their immune system. I'm not saying wet foods but cheerios & puffs are okay. For official feedings highchair is best to teach respect & eating habits. I don't see anything wrong with dry snacks on the floor every once in a while. (But not on a strange or public floor, ew)

obagys

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 5:42 pm
MeadowsLane wrote:

It's not hard to put it in a little plate or bowl, except my 9 month old enjoys dumping it out first before eating it. I'm not sticking her in a high chair every time she wants a snack, which is quite often. I'm not concerned about the bacteria either, or she would have to live in a bubble. She spends more than half her day on the floor, crawling around, playing with toys, climbing the steps, etc etc.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 7:05 pm
hehe I do it for a different reason... My baby wont eat in her high chair... She loves sitting on the floor with her feet spread wide and the food in middle! Sometimes thats the only way she will eat...

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 7:06 pm
Sweet Valley Gal wrote:
hehe I do it for a different reason... My baby wont eat in her high chair... She loves sitting on the floor with her feet spread wide and the food in middle! Sometimes thats the only way she will eat...
I jut read the other comments... She eats out of a bowl or plate most times...

RPESN

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 7:19 pm
Mine tend to dump it out anyway, although I do tend to put it into a receptacle first. It actually sometimes keeps them busy for longer, in out in out in out... And of course they're all vacuum cleaners, and tasters anyway which includes shoes, leaves, stones, toys, old apple core someone hid somewhere which you missed, etc. My dear siblings used to feed me radiator dirt and made me lick their toes when I was a baby cos they found it funny that I'd do it Exploding anger Puke .

imabima

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 7:24 pm
Keep in mind that OP is probably NOT putting applesauce or mashed potatoes on the floor. We're talking Cheerios here, so, yeah, I do it too!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics