Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Purim costume for mommmy?

wannagrow

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 10:10 pm
My husband happens to be a very energetic, leibadik man. He loves spicing up Purim in every way possible for our children as well as the for the community. The past few years he's convinced me to dress up with the family according to the theme he sets up. No although it is my nature to shy away from excess attention etc, I do it for the children. However, the more I think of it, I'm starting to wonder that perhaps its not tznius due to the fact that it brings attnetion to myself. We have a lot of visitors on Purim day and I also go to hear the megilla in my costume. In my neighborhood, there's a mix-- some women wear costumes while some do not.

What do you ladies think?

shanie5

Post Mon, Feb 14 2011, 10:51 pm
I dress up with my kids every year. For megillah reading too. The attention is on the whole family-not me in particular, so I dont look at it as untznius. And I love purim!

wannagrow

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 3:32 pm
it's a good point but for some reasom I still feel like attention is being drawn to me. My DH in the other hand, calls me a party pooper if I dont...

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 3:48 pm
I hate that few "very frum" women do it, especially married. I do it anyway.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 4:26 pm
I usually dress up as a woman from another culture or time - chinese, indian, etc

You can be completely tznius and look normal (for a chinese or indian woman that is Wink )

Or just put on a pretty dress and stick a tiara in your hair and be queen Esther.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 4:54 pm
I always dress up. I'm looking forwarding to being a Chocolate Moose, actually.

small bean

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 4:57 pm
I always dress up. though I do not dress up for megilah bec I think that it takes away from the concetnration.... I dont think it isnt tzinus - I think the attention is on the whole family.

nechami1

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 4:58 pm
I love being able to dress up on purim! although usually I dont go all the way, just at the seudo. once I wore a brilliant grey wig, another year a huge hat etc. its fun!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 6:04 pm
I just finished sewing my costume yesterday. I'm going to look totally nuts! I'm so excited Smile

mazelandbracha

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 7:41 pm
A few years ago I bought the "Queen Esther scarf" on Tznius.com. It's gauzy and covered with little gold coins and beads. I wear it every year with a matching silk "oriental" tunic. It's fabulous! Very Happy

jflower

Post Fri, Mar 04 2011, 12:02 pm
chocolate moose, I wish I could see you on Purim!

bigsis144

Post Fri, Mar 04 2011, 12:14 pm
I grew up in LA, went to an amazingly eclectic shul, and always dressed up on Purim. There is a whole group of married ladies who wear normal clothes on Purim with multicolored sheitlach. My father's boss's wife wears purple, my mother wears hot pink... everyone does it, so no one sticks out.

But in high school, we were encouraged not to dress up for tznius reasons, and the social pressure continued after I got married and moved to the Lakewood/Brooklyn area. But I LOVE Purim and dressing up, and never felt like I was doing it simply to get attention.

So I started wearing costumes that easily come off or are more subtle, like a lab coat and goggles with normal clothes underneath, or a normal khaki shabbos suit, but with a pith helmet and binoculars. It's all in the accessories/props, and depending on who I anticipate seeing, I increase/decrease the "dress-up-ness" of my outfit.

superjew

Post Fri, Mar 04 2011, 12:18 pm
Its a time for family & purim spirit! You're not drawing attention to yourself, unless you act a bit...drunk! Wink
Otherwise you're definitely not breaking tznius rules, especially if other women dress up too (in your neighborhood) even if it isn't all.

I'm so excited to dress up!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics