Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The chosen
1  2  3  Next

ny21

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 12:04 am
Have you read this book ? or have you seen the movie?

chavamom

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 12:12 am
Yes and no.

ny21

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 12:13 am
yes to the movie and no to the book?

no to the book and yes to the movie?

chavamom

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 12:37 am
Yes to the book and no to the movie.

su7kids

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 12:59 am
The author and the book is very anti frum.

chavamom

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 1:11 am
su7kids wrote:
The author and the book is very anti frum.

Well, the author passed away a few years ago, but let's say he had 'issues'. He was Orthodox for many years, but very modern. He was a founding member of the shul I used to daven in many years ago (Orthodox). Only later did he join the Conservative mov't and you can see the progression in his books. The Chosen is Modern vs. Chasidish. Btw - he was rather sympathetic to Lubavitch and the rebbe. The book 'My Name is Asher Lev' is model on Chabad chasidus, the 'Landover' Chasidim of the book.

MommyEsty

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 4:52 am
read it but cant remember much about it, I think it was good if you like that kind of stuff
my mother did tell me that he was a big apikores..

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 6:44 am
I dont know if he was an apikores but he was disenchanted with orthodox judaism and he went the conservative way. I dont remember why now but do remember reading it somewhere. I am trying to find the link as I write this.

either way though, who cares if he was an opikores or conservative? if the book was good, which I thought it was very good, and you enjoyed the read, what does it matter if he was christian or muslim?

I thought that the book was actually very good.

brooklyn

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 7:00 am
Yes and yes. I did enjoy the book more than the movie.

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 8:26 am
For the record, the author is Chaim Potok.
I read all his books.
I enjoyed My name is Asher Lev-found it very authentic and deep.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 9:53 am
I read all his books and loved them.

binah918

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 10:09 am
I read The Chosen and My Name is Asher Lev. I thought they were great!

ny21

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 10:42 am
My kid is reading the book ~ I saw the movie - with robb ybenson
in it -- I

JRKmommy

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 12:19 pm
Yes and yes. The book is a bit dense and plodding at times, but there is a seriousness and sensitivity to the characters. Very different from superficial stereotypes. The book is told from the perspective of the MO, Zionist friend of the son of a Chasiddic rebbe.

chavamom

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 12:45 pm
The author (Chaim Potok) was basically Orthodox in practice, but believed in biblical criticism (the theory of multiple authors to the torah).

healthymama

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 12:19 am
Biblical criticism is not the same as believing in multiple authors to the Torah. Biblical criticism is analyzing Torah using the same techniques you would use to analyze classical literature. So for example, someone who appreciates the poetic beauty of shir hashirim and studies it in depth, can be engaged in biblical criticism.

chavamom

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 12:53 am
He believed in multiple authors to the torah. I actually knew him. Not well, but I did know him. He was part of a whole 'chevra' in Philadelphia that one of my college professors was part of. So really, most of what I know is through the professor.

This is the answers.com definition of 'higher criticism'
Quote:
high·er criticism (hī'ər)
n.

Critical study of biblical texts to ascertain their literary origins and history and the meaning and intention of the authors.

Motek

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 12:33 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
either way though, who cares if he was an opikores or conservative? if the book was good, which I thought it was very good, and you enjoyed the read, what does it matter if he was christian or muslim?

So you don't think that what you read has any impact on you?

I read Potok's books when I was in high school or post high school and I remember putting bookmarks in The Chosen and discussing different issues with my father.

professor

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 11:41 pm
momoftwins wrote:
Have you read this book ? or have you seen the movie?

there's a movie made about this book???? I gotta see it.I oved the book. did anyone read 'the promise'?

ny21

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 11:43 pm
the star of the movie is Robie Benson
I saw the movie a very long time ago -
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room