Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Makeup on Shabbos

amother

Post Sat, Feb 19 2011, 8:38 pm
I'm not talking about lipstick, blush, eyeshadow, etc. My question is about cover up or liquid foundation that matches your skin. I'm wondering if there is any heter to use either of those if one has blemished skin and some scarring from acne (esp. if one hate Shabbos b/c of feeling ugly!) I've thought this one out: is there any room for using such makeup without squeezing (from a jar, not a tube) and without smearing (dabbing on skin that has blemishes/scars)? My Rabbi is very strict and I'm afraid to ask. Has anyone heard if this could be allowed? TIA

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 19 2011, 8:41 pm
ask your rov. When dd had bad acne and wouldn't leave the house on Shabbos, we got makeup for her.

Happy18

Post Sat, Feb 19 2011, 9:04 pm
Check this out.

http://shaindeecosmetics.com/

amother

Post Sat, Feb 19 2011, 9:29 pm
OP here: I should add that I'm talking about the liquid cover up/makeup - the powder cakes on my face.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sat, Feb 19 2011, 9:48 pm
I dont think the liquid is allowed to be used - as it will be smearing....

amother

Post Sat, Feb 19 2011, 10:01 pm
OP again: No smearing, just dabbing on the blemishes until it blends into the skin...

Peanut2

Post Sat, Feb 19 2011, 10:30 pm
If someone here said it was fine, would you do it?

I don't get it. either ask a rabbi and follow his psak, or do what you want, or ask if anyone knows a rabbi who simply permits wearing it (there are some). but what kind of response are you looking for here? for some amother to say it's fine?

also, have you ever tried bare escentuals (I think that's how they spell it)? if you are having acne or other skin issues, liquid foundation isn't so good for your skin, and bare escentuals may be more likely to get a rabbinic seal of approval. and it shouldn't cake on your face.

LeahW

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 3:02 am
Peanut2 wrote:
If someone here said it was fine, would you do it?

I don't get it. either ask a rabbi and follow his psak, or do what you want, or ask if anyone knows a rabbi who simply permits wearing it (there are some). but what kind of response are you looking for here? for some amother to say it's fine?

also, have you ever tried bare escentuals (I think that's how they spell it)? if you are having acne or other skin issues, liquid foundation isn't so good for your skin, and bare escentuals may be more likely to get a rabbinic seal of approval. and it shouldn't cake on your face.

Maybe OP just wants to hear if anyone heard it's allowed so she'll feel braver to ask her Rav.

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 3:11 am
I don't know much about this, but I wonder of those spray foundations are usable on Shabbat? The kind that come in aerosol dispensers -- not the kind that require an electric airbrush machine.

I have heard good things about mineral powder make-up.

I have also heard rabbanim who permit very liquidy (low viscosity) cosmetics on Shabbat, although I am not sure if something so thin will give you the coverage you need. And, of course, I do not know if your rav will agree that this is allowable.

Of course, you will ultimately need to ask your rav, but this way you can research your options ahead-of-time. (I know I like to do this before asking shailos).

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 3:14 am
BTW, I found an old thread that may be helpful:

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....27fc7

tsiggelle

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 4:07 am
how were you planning to dab? with pads? cotton balls? that is a shaila of schitta, I think

you might have easier time halachically to pour on area and wipe away the excess with a tissue. yes, I know that wastes loads unless you get a dropper bottle.

but you MUST ask a rav, because you just cant take any of our word for it

Sherri

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 9:00 am
FYI, it's not just the application of the makeup that is a problem, but coloring.
Check this out for a discussion of issues: http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/.....s.htm

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 9:07 am
What tsigelle and Leah W said.
How about contacting Shaindee and explaining the circumstances and asking who her rabbinic advisors are? I think she would steer you in a reliable direction.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 10:48 pm
OP here: Thank you all for your replies. I think I'm going to look into finding someone to ask...I just don't think my Rav has the creativity (I hate the word in this context, but YKWIM) to look for solutions for me.

Thank you again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions