Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Making your own baby carriers!

skazm

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 7:01 am
I went to the diaper store and they were selling this mamish exact one for no less than $80!!!! You can make your own for probably less than $20 (depending on what fabric you get, without sewing!

And here is a link to how to make a ton of different ones, sewing or not: http://www.thebabywearer.com/lists/Sewing.htm

Why would one from the factory be any better?

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 7:07 am
I 'made' my own no-sew wraps and I made my own mei tai... which can still hold my almost 2 year old.

skazm

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 7:09 am
how did you make the mei tai? I wanted to buy one from babyhawk.com but it's a good $105 for the one I wanted... you wouldn't have the instructions typed up somewhere, would you? Smile

thanks

skazm

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 7:11 am
here, this ad just popped up: $198 for this, it's a joke...
http://www.sakurabloom.com/pro......html

rosehill

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 7:12 am
I made a ringsling and an SSC. We shlepped her all over Israel in that SSC!! I got the instructions from thebabywearer.com. I could probably e-mail you the file if you pm me an e-mail address.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 7:17 am
I basically did this one: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/ja.....shtml

but didn't make a pocket and to keep things simple, I made it a rectangle and not a rounded top.

I used two layers of basically a bed sheet type material, with a layer of cotton duck (think denim) sandwiched in between. I used polar fleece for padding on the straps.

skazm

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 7:21 am
ok, well, good to know it works! thanks a bunch!

rovacat

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 7:26 am
my sister in law bought this fabric, I think it's called treeko or something like that. she got a couple meters of it, cut it in half, and gave one half to me and she took the other half, and we each got a baby carrier!
we didn't sew anything.
the fabric is elastic on its own, and is soft and strong. I wrapped it around my body and carried my babies in it for 1.5-2 years. it's great!

skazm

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 7:33 am
I think trico is spandex... you just tied everything?

I can totally see myself botching that...

the thing with the original one I posted, is that the lady at the store told me only buy the slingrings.com rings for it because they aren't welded so they don't break, and you can adjust it without tying, and retying etc.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 7:47 am
tricot is like a stretchy, tshirt material. I made my no-sew wraps from that.

granolamom

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 8:13 am
I made an awesome meitai, a scandi type, from an online tutorial. forgot where I stored the link but I think if you google christmasevetwins and scandi tutorial it should pop up in your search.

I bought fabric that I ****loved**** and it was still way cheaper than anything else I could have bought.

and diy slings are just the easiest things ever. I made two out of dupioni silk, one black and one a silvery-gray for shabbos. loved them, but will admit that the maya wrap fabric is more comfortable than silk.

too bad my lo doesnt like to be in a baby carrier, I really miss babywearing!

skazm

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 8:46 am
got it Smile http://scanditute.blogspot.com/
man, all this research and I can't do anything til the kid is born.. like I'm going to have time to do any of this Very Happy

skazm

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 8:47 am
thanks again granolamom

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 13 2011, 12:48 pm
I would love to make a ring sling but I've never actually seen one made, think I could manage it? I had a hard time visualizing what to do from the instructions linked above. What kind of material is used?

spring13

Post Sun, Mar 13 2011, 9:31 pm
skazm wrote:
got it Smile http://scanditute.blogspot.com/
man, all this research and I can't do anything til the kid is born.. like I'm going to have time to do any of this Very Happy

start with a new-sew wrap then!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics