Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Lost my camera, need a new one-please advise

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 11:22 pm
Our camera got lost recently, most likely taken by airport security or some other airport worker handling baggage (long story, whatever). I think it was an SD800 but am not sure. Anyway, it took quite good pics and I was very happy with it, wasn't yet thinking of buying a new one, but oh, well. Now I have no clue what's out there on the market and what's good.
Any advice on which cameras are good and worth it? I am willing to spend 200-300 for a camera that is really worth it.

Yippie

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 12:51 am
My sil has a brand new great camera selling for 250 bucks. Can find out for u what model

Marigold

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 1:30 am
Personally I'd go with the G12 but that is quite pricey. The sx200/210 or newer version (if there is one) should be around that price and it takes pretty nice photos.

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 8:19 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. the sx230 (newest model, soon to be released) looks good, I may wait for that. Anyone got an opinion on that? I will probably have to wait till it's released and then till people review it. The G12 looks like it is more for the professional/semi-professional photographers. I am looking for a camera to take pics of kids, family, occasions, trips... Not too bulky, fast shutter speed, sharp images, not sure what else.
Yippee, can you find out which camera your sil has?

Basimcha

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 10:16 pm
I am also looking to buy a new camera and started doing research. I didnt get such great reference on the G12.

Marigold

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 12:07 am
Basimcha wrote:
I am also looking to buy a new camera and started doing research. I didnt get such great reference on the G12.

No? why! The g11 was supposed to be top notch and the g12 is an upgrade of that. It's supposed to have sharper images. I'm really aiming for that camera!

Bliss

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 12:30 am
Paddington, an upgrade doesn't automatically mean the same qualities, it may be different.

op, the SD800 was a great number, I think, so you might have a hard time finding one just as good. I have a Lumix from Panasonic, it makes gorgeous pictres, beautiful coloring, but the shutter speed isn't that quick.

Marigold

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 1:15 am
Bliss wrote:
Paddington, an upgrade doesn't automatically mean the same qualities, it may be different.

op, the SD800 was a great number, I think, so you might have a hard time finding one just as good. I have a Lumix from Panasonic, it makes gorgeous pictres, beautiful coloring, but the shutter speed isn't that quick.

I was told however that the only difference between the 11 and 12 is that the images are sharper.

Kayza

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 9:35 pm
An additional place for excellent information on cameras is http://www.dpreview.com/

Basimcha

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 9:42 pm
Paddington Bear wrote:
Basimcha wrote:

No? why! The g11 was supposed to be top notch and the g12 is an upgrade of that. It's supposed to have sharper images. I'm really aiming for that camera!

I was told the G11 is better than the G12. Also they told me the g12 isnt great at all...I was also looking forward to getting the G12. I was told about a Nikon thats better than g12...I can check at home the exact model # if you want.

Basimcha

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 1:28 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
Our camera got lost recently, most likely taken by airport security or some other airport worker handling baggage (long story, whatever). I think it was an SD800 but am not sure. Anyway, it took quite good pics and I was very happy with it, wasn't yet thinking of buying a new one, but oh, well. Now I have no clue what's out there on the market and what's good.
Any advice on which cameras are good and worth it? I am willing to spend 200-300 for a camera that is really worth it.

My friend bought the Canon SD 1300. She did a lot of research on it. It sells for about $150. Perhaps you can inquiry about it?

Good Luck!

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 1:30 pm
Basimcha wrote:
Rosemarie wrote:

My friend bought the Canon SD 1300. She did a lot of research on it. It sells for about $150. Perhaps you can inquiry about it?

Good Luck!

I recently bought that one too -- after coupon/rebate, got it for $85-90. There are still regular deals for it -- you've got to look around.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art