Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Whats the biggest monetary damage your kids have cost you..
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

BinahYeteirah

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 7:41 pm
The worst thing I can think of is that my oldest accidentally broke the toilet tank lid of our last rental. The toilet was so old that it was impossible to find a lid that would fit to replace it, so the whole toilet had to be replaced. The landlord charged us $350 for it.

Malasheval

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 3:22 am
I can't believe I'm the first one to mention this.
My kid trashed my Shevy.
He gave it a "haircut" with a nail scissors.
Of course it was the one day that I did not put it away properly on the top of my closet.

Isramom8

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 3:29 am
Once when I was checking my kid's hair for lice on my lap, I was happy that he was so calm and quiet. When I finished I realized that that was because he had been cutting up the skirt I had on with a scissors.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 7:34 am
DS#1 once poured glue into the typewriter*.

* Typewriters were mechanical devices used for word processing and texting in the ancient days. They can still be seen in attics, basements, and historical museums.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 7:37 am
One kid broke my computer screen and another day hung himself on the living room sconses and the whole thing came out but the most expensive is the toilet-we need a plumber couple times a year.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 7:37 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
* Typewriters were mechanical devices used for word processing and texting in the ancient days. They can still be seen in attics, basements, and historical museums.
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 8:27 am
My son flushed a toy car down the toilet-It got stuck in a pipe and the toilet and pipe had to be removed and replaced. It was wedged in that tightly. He also flushed an entire package of wipes down on a Friday afternoon. We had a flood in our basement about 30 minutes before Shabbos and we were having a Shabbaton in the house with the girls sleeping down there. We are still recovering from that one.

Walls? What walls? We have Picasso worthy artwork in the playroom, kitchen, up the stairs and down the hall. The hole in the wall by the landing was from when my son decided to relocate his bookcase from his room to the playroom downstairs and just tossed it down the stairs.

Jewishmofm

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 1:45 pm
You mean besides the oost of diapers, schools, and pants-got-holes-in-the-knees-AGAIN? Uh. 1 computer, 6 windows, 1 whole interior wall. (they went straight through to the other room with screw drivers!) countless beds, 2 couches, 1 fish tank

cheese cake

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 2:04 pm
My son broke the glass top on our dining room table and has flushed toys down the toilet countless times. We called a plumber the first few times-$75 each time till we bought our own snake-$60 but so worth it. We even had to have the seat taken off a few times because it wasn't coming out-$150. Dh is bh great with his hands and learned how to do it after watching the plumber so it saved us some money. And no, we couldn't lock the bathroom door as ds was being trained then and it would've been too hard

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 6:11 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
DS#1 once poured glue into the typewriter*.

Don't laugh too hard now, but I have 2 typewriters at work- one Hebrew and one English. No computers. My whole job basically wouldn't exist if my boss would just splurge on a computer, but it's not happening.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 7:26 pm
My son broke my nose this past summer. It had to be surgically fixed. Even with insurance (b"H) it cost us a pretty penny...

Nicole

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 7:31 pm
wow, you are all making me feel so much better. I was just starting to think that my kids are the only ones that trash our house...

amother

Post Thu, Jan 31 2013, 7:35 pm
Quote:
My ds flushed a square block down the toilet. The plumber had to break the toilet as it wouldn't come off. It's a colored one so we had to replace it with the same color. Pretty expensive for a toilet. This was among other expenses...

And I was thinking you had to replace the square block with the same color.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 5:27 am
Haven't got any kids yet but it's sure costing me a hell of a lot trying!

JAWSCIENCE

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 10:43 am
happymom18 wrote:
My son broke the glass top on our dining room table and has flushed toys down the toilet countless times. We called a plumber the first few times-$75 each time till we bought our own snake-$60 but so worth it. We even had to have the seat taken off a few times because it wasn't coming out-$150. Dh is bh great with his hands and learned how to do it after watching the plumber so it saved us some money. And no, we couldn't lock the bathroom door as ds was being trained then and it would've been too hard

It sounds like you could make a pretty penny by renting the snake to other people whose kids flush things!

bnm

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 11:04 am
Malasheval wrote:
I can't believe I'm the first one to mention this.
My kid trashed my Shevy.
He gave it a "haircut" with a nail scissors.
Of course it was the one day that I did not put it away properly on the top of my closet.

my kids trashed my room once. I walked in and everything was in the baby's crib. as I was unpacking the blankets I found 2 sheitels and strands of hair. B"H they didn't cut the Shevy, it was 'only' the thousand dollar one that was a lemon and already in the toy box.

another time I walked in to see them both covered in a container of baby formula powder ($55) and baby cereal.

Last edited by bnm on Fri, Feb 01 2013, 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 11:07 am
Another broken nose here. My daughter is not yet 20 months old and fixing it will be the second surgery related to her head. She head butted me and broke my nose, and was a CS to begin with.

Anon because I told lots of people the tale of the broken nose.

IMHopinion

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 11:36 am
Jewishmofm wrote:
You mean besides the oost of diapers, schools, and pants-got-holes-in-the-knees-AGAIN? Uh. 1 computer, 6 windows, 1 whole interior wall. (they went straight through to the other room with screw drivers!) countless beds, 2 couches, 1 fish tank

Wow, that's a lot of energy they have!

amother

Post Fri, Feb 01 2013, 11:49 am
My special son costs me thousands and thousands of dollars in OT, speech, tutoring etc etc When people ask why I don't use the free subpar board of ed services, I just bite my tongue. We've tried it, it's not enough. We may not have money for fancy vacations, but we know we've invested our money in the very best we can.

m in Israel

Post Sat, Feb 02 2013, 9:26 am
This thread is really making me feel good -- I never realized I had so much company!

I can't even remember everything. My oldest son flushed my very expensive watch down the toilet when he was about 2. One of my kids as a baby tore my pearl necklace while I was wearing it (by grabbing at my neck). Someone cut part of one of my very nice linen sets with a scissor. Also cut the plastic covering on the dining room chairs. This was indirect but someone left some crayons in their pocket which came out in the dryer -- and entire load of laundry was permanently damaged!
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics