Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
What challa recipe is good for pizza bases too?

ABC

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 1:59 am
Can you give me your challa recipe that you also use for pizza bases?
Thanks!

Last edited by ABC on Wed, Mar 02 2011, 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 2:19 am
Adapted from "The Taste of Shabbos"

1 1/3 c. water
1/4 c. oil
1/4 c. sugar (I use a bit less)
scant tablespoon dried yest
scant teaspoon salt
5 cups flour, sifted.

This makes a nice simple water challah, and a nice pizza crust. The recipe as written makes 3 small challot, or 2 bigger ones, so if you are using it for pizza it will make a lot. I think you could half it (but I've never tried)

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 2:20 am
and ABC, I'll trade you!

I used to always use this recipe for challah, and it's very good, but I'm making bread more in the week now and I am trying to find a different recipe for challah so it will be special (besides just the different shape).

ABC

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 2:23 am
Thanks Racheleve. I want a recipe that I can make enough challa for a bracha, and then use some of it to make a couple of pizza bases that I can freeze. Any idea of the quantities?

Also, must it be water challa if I use it for a pizza base, or is there an egg challa recipe that also works well. We're not big fans of water challa here.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 2:35 am
OK, let me go get the book because htat is my scaled down version. I've used the half and half challah from spice and spirit as a pizza crust, that has eggs.

OK the full recipe, and my notes in () from when I take challah with it, but it's been a while since I took challah with this one so no promises.

2 oz yeast (2T)
9 cups flour (2 kilo)
3 cups water (4.5 cups)
1/2 c. oil (1 cup)
1/2 cup + 2 tsp sugar (1c + 1T)
2 tsp salt (3 tsp)

Dev80

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 11:42 am
Here's the challah recipe from Raizy Guttman, the Challah Lady in Ramat Shlomo. I haven't used it for pizza bases but she said she does. It's enough to take with a bracha.

3 kilo flour
3 T yeast
3 T salt
1-1/2 C. sugar
3/4 C. oil
6 1/2 C. warm water

Put all the flour in a large bowl. Add each ingredient,one at a time, mixing between each addition. The water and oil can be added together. Knead.

This part may only be for challah, not sure exactly what to do for pizza, but I can't imagine it needing to rise for so long: Let rise for 2 hours, shape, and let rise for another 30 minutes. egg tops, and bake @ 350 F.

I let small rolls bake for about a half hour, and bigger challahs for 45-55 minutes, although probably more like 45.

ABC

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 11:49 am
thanks Dev. is that dry yeast or fresh?

and anyone know the best way to get good pizza bases?

Dev80

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 11:57 am
dry yeast, I use instant dry yeast.

What do you mean how to get good pizza bases? like how thin to roll, how long to cook, things like that?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads