Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What age do you do away with the bottle and move to sippy?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 2:46 pm
DC is 14 months old and people are telling me it's time to transition to a sippy cup, even for milk because at that age, they are too old for a bottle. What age did you do away with a bottle for your infant or does you baby still use?

saw50st8

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 2:48 pm
We start around 9-10 months, and by 1 year we move to straw cups.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 2:50 pm
You can try different types of cups from 5 months or so. Some can drink better from a cup with a built in straw.

There is no age that a bottle is actually bad; it just looks more grown up and sophisticated to hand your child a sippy. How about a sports bottle?

I had pure nursers who went straight to a straw-cup really early for juice and water.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 4:59 pm
I give a bottle until they're two. Separately, just for a drink, I give in a sippy cup.

intrigued

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 5:02 pm
DS never took a bottle so now he is 12 months and is still having a hard time with a sippy. He usually uses a regular cup. It's annoying as it makes a mess.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 5:02 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
We start around 9-10 months, and by 1 year we move to straw cups.

I did that with my baby also, but I dont remember what I did with my son. she actually wasnt drinking anything up until that point, or very rarely I should say, so when I tried to start her on formula again I thought that it would be silly to start her on a bottle again, so I went straight for the sippy cup. a few months after that, when I knew that she was REALLY drinking again, I started her on a straw.

A

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 5:46 pm
I give a bottle until 10 monthes
I start on sippy cup when they are 5 monthes for drinking water
bottles are very bad for the teeth

yo'ma

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 5:57 pm
A wrote:

Why do you say that?

sky

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 10:28 pm
A wrote:
I give a bottle until 10 monthes
I start on sippy cup when they are 5 monthes for drinking water

According to my dentist its only bad if they fall asleep with it. The milk then just drips by their front teeth and wears away at it. If its for awake time, and is not used when going to sleep, and isn't hanging out of their mouth all day I don't think it is too bad.

DD needs to nurse when she wakes up, otherwise she is cranky. A cup just does not cut it when I'm not around. So at 16 months she is still getting one bottle a day by her babysitter. The rest of the day she drinks from sippy cuts or regular cups at meals. I plan on stopping shen she is about 20 months during summer vacation when she will not longer be going to her babysitter. I think it will be an easier transition then breaking her habit in the middle of a schedule she is used to.

I think until 18 months is fine to use a bottle for waking up in the morining, after a nap, etc, if they are used to it. I just wouldn't use it all day long.

Marion

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 9:25 am
DS#3 currently uses a Tupperware Midget. No kidding. It's a shot-glass size, and we discovered it after he drank down the whole kiddush cup of grape juice a few weeks ago Friday night. He doesn't take a bottle. Sure, someone needs to help him, but someone would need to nurse him if he wasn't using the "cup". I don't think we're going to transition to a sippy from this.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 10:20 am
At the first birthday, if the kid has used a bottle at all.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 10:38 am
Marion wrote:
DS#3 currently uses a Tupperware Midget. No kidding. It's a shot-glass size, and we discovered it after he drank down the whole kiddush cup of grape juice a few weeks ago Friday night. He doesn't take a bottle. Sure, someone needs to help him, but someone would need to nurse him if he wasn't using the "cup". I don't think we're going to transition to a sippy from this.

My 15-month old DS has an easier time drinking out of a plastic shot glass than out of a sippy cup. (He had an early start -- I had nursing issues when he was a few days old, and the LC recommended I give him milk from a cup, rather than confuse him with a bottle nipple at that age. I doubt that really made a difference, it's just cute.) It just requires constant supervision and refills, so he drinks from a bottle when he's with the babysitter.

1Life2Live

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 10:43 am
Our pediatrician said that DS should be off the bottle completely by age 2. He's 20 mo. old and we're down to 1 4oz bottle a day... I'm hoping that by Pesach he'll be completely off, since I don't plan on buying him a new bottle...

amother

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 10:56 am
OP here-
Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies!
I've tried sippy cups but I think DC is SOO used to the bottle that everytime I bring a sippy within sight, DC screams and cries. Is it possibly for a child to just not be ready yet?

flowerpower

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 10:59 am
I am anti bottles-I can't stand the look of toddler walking around drinking the bottles of apple juice a good part of their day. A lot of people I know that use bottles past 1 say their kids ask for it all day. I use a cup starting at six months for water and by the time they are ten months-a year they drink water in a cup by themselves. In order to get the milk into the kid bottles are fine but past a year I just give in a cup. Btw, bottles are fine as long as the kid doesn't suck on it to fall asleep-then it sits on their teeth overnap or overnight.

1Life2Live

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 11:06 am
flowerpower wrote:
I am anti bottles-I can't stand the look of toddler walking around drinking the bottles of apple juice a good part of their day.

I hate this too... that's why I made clear rules for my son- bottle only at certain times a day, while lying/sitting down, with milk only. If he wants juice, it has to be in a cup.

life'sgreat

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 12:28 pm
My son breastfed exclusively until 7-8 months old and then transitioned to a sippy cup. I liked it because he didn't 'fall asleep' with a bottle in his mouth. I'd put a sippy cup in his crib (with water) and when he needed a drink, he'd just grab that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics