Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Too many carrots!!

momlia

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 1:10 am
I somehow always end up with a lot of carrots and not much to do with it. Does anyone have any good carrot salad recipe which I can make? (or anything else which contains a lot of carrots).

Bliss

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 1:14 am
Grated carrots. Teeny diced onions, not a lot. Salt and oil. I know people who go crazy over this salad.

momlia

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 1:29 am
Thanks Bliss. I'm finally going to sleep after cooking for a large Shabbos. I will try your idea tomorrow as an extra salad for Shabbos. If anyone has any other ideas, please post.

soboz

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 3:37 am
This is a quick and easy, but very tasty salad.
Grate carrots. Add the following;
6 Tbsp vinegar (I use white wine vinegar)
4 Tbsp sugar
Salt
Pepper
Generous amount Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp Mayonaise
Mix well. Taste, and adjust seasoning as required. Best to prepare this the day before eating, or a few hours in advance to let the carrots absorb the flavour of the dressing. Keeps a few days in the fridge.

Dini20

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 4:25 am
Chop the carrots into small pieces (not grated) & add a can of mandarin oranges. Pour orange juice to cover carrots about halfway. Add about 2 scoops (to taste) of vailla sugar. Mix & eat!

Dini20

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 4:27 am
Chop carrots into small pieces (not grated), add a can of mandarin oranges & some slivered almonds. Pour orange to cover carrots about halfway. Add about two scoops of vanilla sugar or to taste. Mix & eat!

Raisin

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 4:56 am
carot and coriander soup. 2 pounds carrots, about 8 celery stalks, 2 onions.

cook veg in oil or margerine for a few minutes. Add some cumin and coriander powder and 2 litres of water or stock. (I use soup mix) leave to cook for about an hour and blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

This soup is excellent if left overnight on blech or crockpot for shabbos day. Doesn't have the overcooked cholenty taste.

this is for 8 people.

2busy

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 7:39 am
carrot muffins are delish
kishka as well but needs some onions and celery as well and oil and bam uve got homeade

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 9:21 am
Shredded carrots and pickles, as far as salads go.
Oh, another one. Cook, slice, add to thawed bodek type broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, baby carrots, tossed with liquids from can, a little of the cooking water, and Italian dressing.
And then, soups. Butternut squash, sweet potatoes, cooked carrots, etc.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 10:23 am
Kugel
cake
slaw
soup

I have many good recipes posted here, do a search

joyofkosher

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 1:32 pm
For something a little different I like it spiced with tarragon: http://www.joyofkosher.com/Rec.....53469

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 3:43 pm
You can do cookec morroccan-style carrot salad. Peel and slice into rounds (cut in half or quarter if too big), boil till tender but not mushy with a few peeled whole garlic clove. Use cumin, paprika, lemon juice, olive oil, salt for seasoning. Add chopped parsley or corriander as well.

Another grated carrot salad: I grate using the coarse end of the grater. Dress with 1/2 lemon juice, 1 orange juice, salt, grated orange rind, a bit of chopped parsley.

Or if there's really a lot, you can make carrot confit. Grate carrots, finely chop onion. Sautee with small amount of oil for 20min or so till all are softened (carrots will turn yellowish), season with salt and pepper. You can add chili or turmeric or hawadji. Great served straight as a spread for challah, or mix into pasta or rice.

Carrot soup is also delish.

momlia

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 1:38 am
Thanks all. I got some good ideas here.

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 8:24 pm
"Shredded carrots and pickles, as far as salads go"

What is this? sounds very interesting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics