Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Would you Donate your Organs ? after you die !
1  2  Next

ny21

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 1:06 pm
Question Question

Last edited by ny21 on Sun, Jun 16 2013, 4:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

su7kids

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 1:31 pm
I thought that halachically you have to buried with every single part of your body, even hairs that fall out during the Tahara, after you die, so donation of organs are a no no.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 1:37 pm
YEAH, ME TOO.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 1:48 pm
organs are only viable when the person is still truly alive. The vast majority of Halachic authorities do not acept the theory of "brain death". So that the harvesting of organs is done while the person is still alive, and is assur.

I'm not sure if they are hastening the death or actually causing it, by harvesting organs, but again, Poskim say that death is when the heart/breathing stops.

it is assur to desecrate the body by removing any part or limb.also, even if an exception can be made to save the life of a Jew ,it could only be considered IF there would be no issue of causing or hastening death.

Organ transplants that are allowed for Jewish people to benefit from are because the chazakah is that it comes from a non-Jew who account for the vast majority of causualties, but in Eretz Yisrael this would not be the case, and therefore organ transplants are assur there.

The difference being that the prohibition of retzichah is chal on a Jew. One is not allowed to kill one Jew to save the life of another, so even if to all appearances the Jew is ch"v dead eg. brain dead, as long as the neshama is within him, anything one would do that would hasten the actual death is murder, retzichah as much as if one would strike down a healthy, vibrant young person.

although it is assur to kill a non-Jew, it's not the same category of aveirah.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 2:12 pm
Some kinds of transplants are allowed if there is a Jew who is waiting for such a transplant and can be saved. Obviously these cases are very complex and can only be decided by a big posek.

Quote:
but in Eretz Yisrael this would not be the case, and therefore organ transplants are assur there.

As I explained this is not true for every case.

Nomad

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 2:32 pm
if it was halachacly OK - I would....

there are so many people who need these organs

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 4:29 pm
I think that it was Rav Tendler who said that organ donating is ok.

I know about 10, 12 years ago, there was a bus bombing in israel that killed a girl from nj, and her organs were donated to other ppl who needed them, arabs included.

they obviously asked a shaiyla about it and the Rav who they asked said that it was ok.

I am not sure if I would. I know that at one point I tried to see if I could donate a kidney. it fell through in the end, but if it can help another soul...

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 4:39 pm
When there is a suicide bomb ZAKA spend hours looking for body parts to bury, so how come it is okey to donate eyes? I always thought that every part of the body had to be buried.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 4:48 pm
jewishmamathebest wrote:
When there is a suicide bomb ZAKA spend hours looking for body parts to bury, so how come it is okey to donate eyes? I always thought that every part of the body had to be buried.

I was not even talking about the eyes. I know that the bigger parts were donated, like kidney, I think even the heart if I remember correctly and the retina as well.
ZAKA is not there to only pick up the body peices, they are there to get rid of all of the blood as well, so that no part of a human body will be thrown away, but to donate an organ is not really throwing away a body part, it is going to very good "use"

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 4:56 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
jewishmamathebest wrote:

I was not even talking about the eyes. I know that the bigger parts were donated, like kidney, I think even the heart if I remember correctly and the retina as well.
ZAKA is not there to only pick up the body peices, they are there to get rid of all of the blood as well, so that no part of a human body will be thrown away, but to donate an organ is not really throwing away a body part, it is going to very good "use"

Sorry shabbosiscoming I was not responding to your post I was just kind of thinking and wondering aloud. I just do not understand the whole concept of organ transplant and halacha. I always thought that you have to bury a body whole. Even if a person lets say has a leg ampertated it had to be buried. Just like all the pieces of a body after a suicide bomb have to be buried. So how come then a person can donate one of their kidneys to a person while they are still alive but cannot donate when they die. Let's say it is halachacly okey to donate eyes, well why is okey for eyes but no other part of the body? Sorry if someone could explain this all to me I would appreaciate it, Thanks.

Nomad

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 6:15 pm
I have no clue...
but maybe its like when you bleed or cut your nails when your alive...you do not have to be buried with those
when someone is niftar - they do have to be buried with everything...
maybe when the organ is donated - its still consdered "alive" so it is not mandatory that it has to be buried with the niftar
?

ny21

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 7:04 pm
some people consider you are dead , when your brain stops working
but your heart is still pumping .This is called "brain death"

some people consider you are dead when your hearts stop pumping too.

ny21

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 7:08 pm
on the back of New York state license

it says -

I hearby make a anoatomical gift to be effective upon my death:
A. any needid organs or parts
b.the following body parts
C. limitations-

then their is a place for two
'
witness to sign - and the date

ny21

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 7:08 pm
I think you have to be over 18 to donate your organs ?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 9:30 pm
I think some rabbis allow it.

Anyway, no, I want my children to be able to mourn fully, not think some parts of mom are still alive somewhere... Giving an organ while alive would be less problematic, but I would be too afraid.
I think they only take the organs of young people, no? So, with G-d's help no one here will even have to make a choice...

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 9:36 pm
I just checked:
Quote:

Israélites:
Admis si l'opération se fait de vivant à vivant.

Le diagnostic de la mort encéphalique n'est pas admis comme une mort réelle par une partie de la communauté religieuse juive.

Jews:
Admitted if the operation is from living person to living person.

The diagnosis of brain death is not admitted like real death by a part of the observant Jewish community.

So, it seems that the majority is against, with a few who allow (R' Feinstein, as he allows to stop the treatments after brain death & even "just" if there is no hope? I hope I'm not mixing up with another rav).

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 9:44 pm
Quote:
think that it was Rav Tendler who said that organ donating is ok.

I know about 10, 12 years ago, there was a bus bombing in israel that killed a girl from nj, and her organs were donated to other ppl who needed them, arabs included.

they obviously asked a shaiyla about it and the Rav who they asked said that it was ok.

Rabbi Tendler takes an extreme, liberal view. Most poskim are in sharp disagreement with his acceptance of the brain dead theory, and hold that one is not allowed to "pull the plug" or harvest organs that it hastens or causes actual death and is retzicho. Unfortunately many Jews are not aware that this is so, they have come to accept the common understanding of brain death as actual death, without knowing the standard Jewish view of Halachic authoritity on this.

healthymama

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 11:41 pm
http://www.hods.org/index.shtml

Mamushka

Post Mon, Sep 11 2006, 1:30 am
http://www.health.gov.il/trans.....t.htm

Since my Rav signed up, I signed up.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 11 2006, 2:45 am
SaraYehudis wrote:
Quote:
think that it was Rav Tendler who said that organ donating is ok.

Rabbi Tendler takes an extreme, liberal view. Most poskim are in sharp disagreement with his acceptance of the brain dead theory, and hold that one is not allowed to "pull the plug" or harvest organs that it hastens or causes actual death and is retzicho. Unfortunately many Jews are not aware that this is so, they have come to accept the common understanding of brain death as actual death, without knowing the standard Jewish view of Halachic authoritity on this.

well, whatever veiw it was that Rav Tendler had, and even if many poskim are in sharp disagreement with him, that still does not mean that it is wrong. he is still a Rav, no matter what you or anyone else says and so I take great comfort in that b/c this girl's organs (who I said died in a bus bombing about 12 years ago) went to many ppl who needed those organs. I also remember that she was pronounced brain dead on arrival and then I am almost sure, they waited for a relative to come from america to make sure and then anounced that she had died (it was something like that, I can not remember exactly).
but just because "many" jews do not follow Rav Tendler, does not mean that he is wrong.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions