Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Is there a program for frum kids to modify behaviour?

26teach

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 12:32 am
my ds is having isssues in school. The teachers can not handle hi. They are saying he has a temper and anger problems and he is out of control. What should I do? Where can I take him for help?

lifecoach

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 11:56 am
Sorry for your trouble. It's not easy.
Where do you live, and what have you tried? Has he had an evaluation by the Board of Education?

26teach

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 1:13 pm
he has been evaluated by our dr. based on the questioner that the teachers filled out and based on the dr. talking to him for a couple minutes. the dr. thinks he might have adhd and he needs ritalin. I am not willing to put him on meds based on some peoples opinions. We also had him looked at by a special ed teacher in the school and she said he is fine. I dont care where I have to take my ds in the world I want an evaluation based on facts not opinion. And if there is some other way to deal with his problems other then meds then please tell me!!

Isramom8

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 1:23 pm
How old is your son? An ADHD is based a lot on opinion, as there is no blood test or anything. Based on my experience, start meds and therapy while he is too young to refuse, to get him the best start in school and society. He may also need special education help. Don't ignore this. If you want to try natural things like diet and supplements, go ahead, but please get your son help that produces visible results.

I'm really sorry about this challenge in your lives.

lifecoach

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 9:28 pm
I have a few names for you, and you're certainly doing the right thing to want a professional evaluation. You sound like you would go to the ends of the earth for your son.

Dr. Simcha Cohen in Bklyn (you can google him)
Dr. Chaim Neuhoff and Dr. Posy (partners)

BTW, the above can all be googled (and you can get their phone #'s), and you will see some threads come up that were posted on imamother about these dr.'s.

There is also a Yossi Feintuch who runs a "behavioral camp" over the summer. He's in Cedarhurst. You can google him at TALC (Torah Academy of Lawrence) or priority-1.org. I think he sees children privately too.

I'd also suggest to use your "special ed" contact at your son's school, to get a professional evaluation from the board of ed, as I believe that will be free. Feel free to PM me if any questions.

I know it's very hard and you are anxious to get moving in the right direction ASAP, as you should be. But a head's up to be patient. Patience to find out exactly what's going on. And patience to get the right plan. May Hashem bless you with much Hatzlacha and nachas from your son.
Warmly,

Yups

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 12:03 am
Does he have more than 1 teacher, do they all seem to have the same general opinion, or only some of them?

Has he always been like this or only recently or gradually?

I'm asking this because it's possible that there is an underlying issue, such as his relationship with the teacher, or diet, such as too much sugar in his diet, or not enough sleep. Many kids who don't get enough sleep have ADD/ADHD symptoms.

According to Avivah Werner, a parenting and education expert, %80 of misbehavior in children is a relationship issue with parent or teacher.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 10:28 pm
I have also heard of yossi feintuch who does a camp together with yitzchak goldberg during the summer for kids with behavioral issues. not sure if the camp is in far rockaway or cedarhurst but I have heard they do amazing things. have heard both of them speak and was very impressed.
dont have any contact info but definitely look them up if you are within traveling distance.

mom & more

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 9:21 pm
Speak to Ricky Schwartz at Relief (7184319501). She guided me through several different evaluations until we went for a neuropsychological evaluation which b"H revealed that my ds is not ADHD and that we do not need to put him on medication at the moment. We are planning to reevaluate the situation once he is older to see how he behaves in a regular classroom setting (My ds is still in preschool)

PM if you want the names & numbers of all the different options I was given

amother

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 11:32 pm
while neuropsychological evals can be helpful they can show if someone is ADD, but what about impulsive? you can't really test that. my son had a test which showed he is not ADD/ADHD but all outside behavior points to it. so you really do need teachers input. but if it is ONLY in school they will not diagnose ADD. if he behaves the same way at home and out and about then possibly...
and you don't need to jump to meds. you can try behavior therapy but if it's not working at some point you may decide he is suffering socially and in school from his behavior -that he CAN NOT control (if it is in fact ADD/ADHD) and it is not fair to him not to give him the meds. but you will need time and testing and feedback until you decide what to do. (you can also look into diets and supplements since some ppl have success with that)

mom & more

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 12:53 am
We just went for the intake session for behavior therapy. After interviewing the principal, teacher, therapists, and my parents, they concluded that the school had "decided" that it would be "easier" if my ds was on meds than therapy!! shock Sweet dreams, school! At wits end Find a different mom!! Banging head My ds is changing schools, and hopefully, he'll succeed in removing the label! Wave

amother

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 1:13 am
Don't mean to scare u... We went through the rounds with the school when my son started acting out and were told to medicate or not return. Went to neurologists and psychaitrists and was told he has ADHD and medication is imperative. Unfortunately it was much worse than that; he had a brain tumor. B"H he is doing well now, and our story is very uncommon but please, don't just dump medications on your child without researching very well. If we had accepted the diagnosis, we could Chas Veshalom have found out too late about the tumor.

zigi

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 9:23 am
I think the camp that you guys are talking about is the
diamond summer program 347-730-1166

Jewishmofm

Post Mon, Aug 01 2011, 12:05 am
ADHD is too often confused with other atypical neurology to medicate! deal with nature (sleeping, eating, physical comfort) and nurture (routinized schedule, movement opportunities, emotionally stable environment, CONSISTENT rules) first. if that is all in place for a month or two, THEN have him evaluated. many neuroses (ADHD, ADD, Impulsivity, PDD) respond well to the "ace-bandage" approach, rather than the "advil" approach. of course, the ace bandage requires a lot more from the parents.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)