Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My 2.5 yr old son swallowed a nickel..now what?

Legav

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 6:45 pm
He was choking for like 5 seconds(the longest 5 sec in my life) and now he's fine. I left a message for my pediatrician but she hasn't called me back yet. Is it going to come out by itself? Do I need to take him for an x ray? I'm so nervous..

ichbindamama

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 6:53 pm
this happened recently to a child I know who was taken into er via ambulance. they did a scan to check location of nickel and realized it was stuck in a dangerous position in his throat and needed to be removed via medical interference.
I would suggest you call hatzola and have him checked out. if it flips and is in a dangerous spot it may cause breathing probs. don't mean to scare you but rather be on the safe side.

good luck

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 6:55 pm
I agree with the previous poster. Get him checked out ASAP.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 7:32 pm
If the nickel is still in there it may be standing upward and could lie down at any time ch"v blocking off the windpipe. It is EXTREMELY dangerous to wait! Please tell me you've already checked it out...

My children's pediatrician uses a metal detector wand to see if it passed through the critical spots and whether it will come out on its own but I would not wait while a bunch of amothers weigh in on this topic before I do something about it:(

Legav

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 7:35 pm
my pediatrician just called me back and said if he's drinking(which he is) then its fine and to just wait till it passes.Feel a lot better now

happy chick

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 8:22 pm
make sure to take it out of his allowance:)
seriously, all joking aside, it could be very dangerous. I'm glad to hear hes fine, and I hope it passes soon so you have a peaceful night.

Ashrei

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 8:57 pm
I heard a joke where a small child swallowed a quarter and his grandfather said, "Oh, he'll be fine. If he poops 2 dimes and a nickel, we're in trouble."

LOL

Edited to add that I'm glad he's fine. I know it's potentially dangerous. I hope the joke alleviates your worry, and may this too 'pass.'

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 9:00 pm
I still have the quarter ds swallowed - I'm giving it to his kallah to show what he put us through!

clowny

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 9:34 pm
Ive had such incidents with my kids several times. Once with a button and a few times with a penny or nickel.(never with a quarter though, guess they couldnt afford it Very Happy ) I was always told what your pediatrician just told you, that if the child is able to swallow food or drink and keep it down that means the nickel passed the dangerous spot and no need to worry till you see it out.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 8:48 am
I would read him "The Very Best Place for a Penny" :-)

I hope he's doing ok.

Grandmama

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 9:07 am
BH he is fine, the joke that came to my mind is

Doc, my little boy just swallowed a pencil!
What should I do?

Use a pen.

Scary. My daughter once swallowed a little mini doll from a polly pocket toy.

We didnt save it though..... but we never can forget it either.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 11:07 am
Seriously I know a kid that swallowed a coin and the doctor said just wait till it passes.
Anyway nature played its part and the coin came out when he pooped.
The mother was so excited until next time the kid went to the bathroom he didn't find anything there and he was upset so for a couple weeks after that every time the kid went the mother had to give him a coin LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics