Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
HELP! Babysitter doesn't want my baby!!

wonderwall

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 3:02 pm
I BH have an adorable 7 month old boy. I recently got a part-time job and had to go in twice this week for meetings. Until now I have been home with him but since I got the job my husband tried to move around his schedule to watch him (until we found a babysitter), twice this week we last minute had to send him to 2 frum women who babysit a couple children in their home. Today when I picked him up she said "you're baby is really cute but we have to hold him the entire time or he cries and we can't give him that much constant attention so we can't babysit anymore". Basically, every time they tried to put him on the floor to play or in the paknplay for a nap he cried hysterically. I don't know why he's doing that, they said he was an angel as long as they held him the whole time. At home he'll play on the floor with his toys or in his exercauser and doesn't cry unless we leave him in the room alone for a min (then he often cries). We've been doing cry it out for naps and bedtime because he won't sleep any other way and I was wondering if this has made him cry more in general - is he more anxious now to be put down bec he feels abandoned? We've had to do cio for a while now, because even after the first week he still cries when put down although not longer than 10 minutes and often shorter. Any advice anyone?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 3:17 pm
Your baby is not used to other caregivers (besides for you and your DH) so of course he's not cooperating with the sitters. It's perfectly normal for him. He feels insecure with these strange people who are not Mommy and Daddy, so he insists on being held which is the only security he can hold onto in that environment.

He WILL adjust to a babysitter who is willing to tolerate him, but clearly these are not the right sitters for him.

My DD (now almost 10 B"AH) went thru a string of babysitters who couldn't handle her crying until I found one who was willing to give it time. She would alternate between holding DD and putting her down and letting her cry a little bit. Little by little DD adjusted to the sitter until after some time she went willingly and happily.

Good Luck finding another sitter.

chaniey

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 3:22 pm
My son also did that for the first few days when he went to a new babysitter at 5 months and 8 months. It's so normal until a child is comfortable with their new caregiver. I'm surprised that the women who babysit are not used to such behavior. I guess you have to find someone who can handle it. Good luck!

1Life2Live

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 3:42 pm
I think some babies are just like that. There's a little boy in my son's daycare who is ALWAYS crying when he isn't being held. They just tune it out. You need to find a better babysitter with some patience.

marina

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 9:41 pm
we had a daycare and a kid like that. After a while my assistants started having mental health issues. One told me that she kept hearing the kid cry when she was at her own house.

I told the parent that this daycare was not a good fit. He was mad, but we were so relieved.

Crying babies are incredibly stressful and some kids just don't do well in daycares. Maybe get a one on one babysitter, or nanny or whatever, but then you have to pay more.

superjew

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 9:49 pm
I had the same issue. Children have a hard time adjusting to new caregivers. You need to find the right one who will have the time & patience (& strength) to be able to handle it & help you train your ds.
Good Luck!

Merrymom

Post Thu, Mar 10 2011, 10:25 pm
It's the age that he's at, they get panicky when you leave them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics