Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Gluten free ground meat

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 9:56 pm
I'm thinking of using my ground meat for the purim seuda although I dont need it for the menu. Normally for a fancy meal I'd roll it in dough like a deli roll but purim I'm having a gluten free guest. any other ideas of what I can do with it tjat looks impressive and doesn't involve gluten? Other wise Ill just save it for dinner. TIA.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 9:59 pm
You can make stuffed peppers or stuffed zucchini. Cocktail meatballs. Meat lasagna using GF noodles. I have made all of the above using either ground beef mixed with a little rice and spices, or you can add egg and corn flake crumbs if you want. If you have a specific recipe in mind, I can try to make it GF for you if you'd like.

thekosherchannel

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 10:10 pm
You can use cornflake crumbs, or pareve cornflakes or gluten free bread whizzed in the food processor for the filler.

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 10:46 am
Thanks. I think I'll go with the stuffed pepper. The guest actually gave my husband gf cornflake crumbs which I'll be able to use for this as well as one other recipe. So, usually when I make stuffed pepper, or ground meat mixed with rice, no matter what I do, the rice doesn't come out cooked. So if I wanted to make the rice seperate and then mix it in, should I just boil like one cups worth? also, do I need to make one pepper per person? we are at least 8 adults so should I make like 10 stuffed peppers?
One more question, gluten related: Can I assume that basics such as mustard, ketchup, potatoes etc are all gf? only grains foods or mezonos usually contain gluten, right?
TIA.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 10:47 am
You can try Minute rice if you want to make sure the rice gets cooked.

newlymarried

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 10:55 am
No, many things like ketchup, mayo etc can have gluten in. I think you have to check.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 12:19 pm
PinkandYellow wrote:
Thanks. I think I'll go with the stuffed pepper. The guest actually gave my husband gf cornflake crumbs which I'll be able to use for this as well as one other recipe. So, usually when I make stuffed pepper, or ground meat mixed with rice, no matter what I do, the rice doesn't come out cooked. So if I wanted to make the rice seperate and then mix it in, should I just boil like one cups worth? also, do I need to make one pepper per person? we are at least 8 adults so should I make like 10 stuffed peppers?
One more question, gluten related: Can I assume that basics such as mustard, ketchup, potatoes etc are all gf? only grains foods or mezonos usually contain gluten, right?
TIA.
Yes, 1 pepper per person. You can buy smaller peppers if you'd like.
Rice expands to 4x once cooked. (1 cup raw rice equals about 4 cups cooked.) You can use anywhere from 1 to 4 cups of cooked rice for 2 lbs. of meat (enough for 4-5 people.) It actually tastes very good with a lot of rice.

carrot

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 12:20 pm
one thing that people often don't realize has gluten in it is soy sauce. you can get gluten free tamari sauce which will be exactly the same, but you have to be aware.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 12:23 pm
For your sauce, I'd stick to things like plain canned tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, spices, etc. No store bought ready sauces.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 1:07 pm
ra_mom wrote:
For your sauce, I'd stick to things like plain canned tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, spices, etc. No store bought ready sauces.

Yes, gluten sneaks into surprising places. I just want to mention that I think it's great you're being so careful in order to ensure that your guest feels comfortable and doesn't leave hungry. I deal with food allergies, and some well-meaning hosts don't seem to realize that when everyone else is eating a 4-course meal, for the one person at the table who can eat only cholent out of everything served, it isn't fun!

(Of course I realize that hosts shouldn't be expected to bend over backwards for guest. But it's nice that OP is!)

centurion

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 2:26 pm
why not stick to tradition and make stuffed cabbage? or use it as a filling for eggplant rolls

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 2:39 pm
I think it's awful that s/o has to sit at a table full of delicious food and not be able to eat. Keeping the meal gluten-free, except for obviously the challah, isn't hard- so why not? Also, I think they came to us 2 years ago and I didn't know he was gf at that time. But now I know (we know they much better now).

Stuffed cabbage sounds good. but I've never made it before. Is it a patchkey?

moon__star

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 11:00 am
I think I've only made meatballs once with flour/bread crumbs, but you can probably use cornflour instead - you just have to be careful how much you use, since any gluten-free substitute tends to get sticky and then whatever you're cooking/baking becomes hard (my husband isn't fond of my gluten-free "experiments" shock ).

Also, try using various veggies, like grated zucchini or carrot.

If it turns out well, please post the recipe!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics