Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Iso a shepherd's pie recipe

I_am_happier

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 2:37 pm
I tried searching this site but didn't come up with anything. Does anyone have a recipe for it? I want to make it for shabbos. Tia

out of town rebbitzen

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 5:30 pm
There's a pretty good one in Spice and Spirit.

soldat

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 5:57 pm
I use this for pesach but that doesn't mean you can't try during the year Smile
2 onion, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
2 pounds ground beef
1 zucchini, dice
2 tomatoes, peeld and diced (or since its not pesach I suppose you can use a can of diced tomatoes)
5 potatoes peeled and chuncked
1 sweet potato peeled and chunked

boil potatoes and sweet potato in pot, when soft reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid and drain the rest. mash potatoes with salt (and pepper since its not pesach) to taste.

while potatoes are cooking, sautee onions in plenty of oil. when just golden, remove half and add to mashed potato mixture.
add the carrots to the remaining onions in pan, c;ontinue sauteeing until the carrots start to soften, add meat, breaking up with spoon and cook until brown. add zucchini and tomatoes and continue cooking for another 10 min. or so

season mmicture (we use NOTHING on pesach so there isn't anything to season this with, but I assume adding some minced garlic and black pepper would be yummy)

pour mixture into 9x13 baking dish
top with potatoes
bake at 350 for 30 minutes

if you do decide to make this, please let me know how it comes out, I always wonder if we love this recipe cause its pesach or is it really good during the year as well.

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 7:31 pm
soldat wrote:
I use this for pesach but that doesn't mean you can't try during the year Smile
2 onion, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
2 pounds ground beef
1 zucchini, dice
2 tomatoes, peeld and diced (or since its not pesach I suppose you can use a can of diced tomatoes)
5 potatoes peeled and chuncked
1 sweet potato peeled and chunked

boil potatoes and sweet potato in pot, when soft reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid and drain the rest. mash potatoes with salt (and pepper since its not pesach) to taste.

while potatoes are cooking, sautee onions in plenty of oil. when just golden, remove half and add to mashed potato mixture.
add the carrots to the remaining onions in pan, c;ontinue sauteeing until the carrots start to soften, add meat, breaking up with spoon and cook until brown. add zucchini and tomatoes and continue cooking for another 10 min. or so

season mmicture (we use NOTHING on pesach so there isn't anything to season this with, but I assume adding some minced garlic and black pepper would be yummy)

pour mixture into 9x13 baking dish
top with potatoes
bake at 350 for 30 minutes

if you do decide to make this, please let me know how it comes out, I always wonder if we love this recipe cause its pesach or is it really good during the year as well.

did I miss what you do with the 1/2 cup of fluid??

CatLady

Post Fri, Mar 18 2011, 3:01 am
Add the cooking liquid to the potatoes to make them nice and soft? Or to the meat to make more of a gravy? Either would be delicious, especially if you aren't using canned tomatoes.

I have used salsa in the meat mixture and called it Southwestern Shepherd's Pie. It gives it a nice "kick". The critical element (according to my DS) is that there must be a layer of corn between the meat and the potatoes. According to my mom, the surface of the potatoes must be forked into rough peaks, dusted with paprika and sprayed with oil so it gets crusty. I'm in the "sandwich generation", so I do both, but my own preference is to use mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes.

soldat

Post Mon, Mar 21 2011, 5:42 pm
YES! add the cooking liquid to the mashed potatoes, it makes them soft and fluffy! another trick is to mash the potatoes as soon as you drain them so they don't become lumpy.
sorry I left that out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics