Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Clothing shopping if you have twins of the same gender
1  2  Next

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 10:28 am
Hello there!

I tend to purchase clothing for all of my kids per season. Being that DD #1 was not a twin and stained a lot of her older clothes, there is never enough of her hand me downs for my twins, so I always need to end up buying new items for the twins as well.

Here is my question: Do you buy 2 sets of everything or instead do you buy one of everything, but just more of it than you would for one kid? I only dress them in "matching" when the mood strikes. It's not like I do it consistently. It's more for making my life easier than anything else. I do, however, like the look of matching them in coordinating outfits, just not matching per se. This is for when we go out/shul. I could care less what they wear in the house.

In the past I have bought 2 set of everything but now I am thinking it would be better to buy one of each part of a "collection" and then mix and match.

What do you do?

(my twins are 18 months)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 10:35 am
You're obviously not concerned about the ayin horah issue, are you ?

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 10:37 am
What's the ayin horah?

I talk about my kids on imamother all the time...as do many of us.

Maybe it wasn't clear, but my twins are already born (18 months old).

I don't purchase anything before a child is born.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 10:46 am
are they identical? If not, plenty of parents of kids close in age dress them in similar clothing. My dds were about 15 months apart and I bought matching shabbos outfits till they were about 7, when they refused. I bought either identical clothes or the same outfit in different colours.

My issue, which you don't have, is that younger dd got to wear the same outfit for 2 or 3 years in a row.

If they are identical I would guess there is the issue of not knowing who is who.

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 10:54 am
No they are not identical at all. One has blond hair and blue eyes and one has dark hair and dark yes! Also, one is zaftig and one is a skinny minny. Eventually I am pretty sure that they won't even wear the same size.
In fact my big girl looks more like one of the twins than the twins look like each other. I bet you that once they are all adults people will assume that those two are the twins.

Last year for the chagim I was able to get matchin outfits for all three, which some may not agree with, but in some communities it's very common. My big girl is now a size 5 or 6, so I don't think I will be able to get away with that next year from regular stores.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 10:59 am
I think it is nice to have one or two matching sets of outfits for shabbos. When all your 7 kids match and your are still doing it with your 13 year olds it gets creepy.

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 11:01 am
Raisin wrote:
I think it is nice to have one or two matching sets of outfits for shabbos. When all your 7 kids match and your are still doing it with your 13 year olds it gets creepy.

Haha! I agree!

I call that "Brooklyn Style."

My grandmother in Brooklyn LOVES it when I have all three in matching.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 11:03 am
Raisin wrote:

Why? All the boys match Twisted Evil

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 11:06 am
And some say not to dress multiples exactly alike, as it is ayin horah.

farm

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 11:48 am
I think most people match their twins or coordinate. In my opinion, the best part of matching kids is that the outfit doesn't have to be so exciting (or expensive) but when they are matching it makes it look nicer. If 1 little girl walks into shul in a skirt and blouse she looks fine but when 2 or 3 or more all walk in together wearing the same thing it just looks that much more special.

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 11:52 am
I am not one to spend a ton on kids clothes. I certainly know from my first one that there is no guarentee that you will be able to pass the clothes on.

I *do*have a weakness for Gymboree and enjoy late night internet shopping with coupon codes!

supermommy07

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 1:07 pm
I have 1 relative who has identical twin girls, and another with twin boys(not identical) they both dress their twins matching every single day down to their socks, hair bows and of course shoes! Where is the individuality?!?! It is hard enough to find your own friends, style,personality when you are an identical twin why are you making it more difficult!?!?
Your twins are not identical so its a different issue. I would buy 2 of a few special outfits, and then the rest co-ordinating(similar style but different pattern or same outfit but different color) and just mix and match. Its gets old matching twins every single day and then its not extra special or cute when they have that adorable shabbos dress for shul that is matching!

On a side note I hate when see a family with 5 or 7 girls and they are all dressed identically from the 2 year old to the bat mitzvah girl. I dont think its cute at all. Different strokes for different folks!

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 1:28 pm
farm wrote:
I think most people match their twins or coordinate. In my opinion, the best part of matching kids is that the outfit doesn't have to be so exciting (or expensive) but when they are matching it makes it look nicer. If 1 little girl walks into shul in a skirt and blouse she looks fine but when 2 or 3 or more all walk in together wearing the same thing it just looks that much more special.
nebuch, my poor only female child will just never be cute enough, due to her lack of sisters! Rolling Eyes

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 2:49 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
farm wrote:
nebuch, my poor only female child will just never be cute enough, due to her lack of sisters! Rolling Eyes

you can get mother and daughter matching outfits. Twisted Evil

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 2:54 pm
supermommy07 wrote:
I have 1 relative who has identical twin girls, and another with twin boys(not identical) they both dress their twins matching every single day down to their socks, hair bows and of course shoes! Where is the individuality?!?! It is hard enough to find your own friends, style,personality when you are an identical twin why are you making it more difficult!?!?

If she is making 1/2 and 1/2 = 1, then yeah, it's wrong. If they are 1 + 1 = 2, then that's something else.

supermommy07 wrote:

On a side note I hate when see a family with 5 or 7 girls and they are all dressed identically from the 2 year old to the bat mitzvah girl

It's nice to know who the family making the simcha is.

On the other hand, they younger ones will have the same dress for many many years, with passing clothes down. They must be mighty sick of wearing it.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 3:17 pm
Raisin wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:
farm wrote:

you can get mother and daughter matching outfits. Twisted Evil
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Not gonna happen ever!

supermommy07

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 3:26 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
supermommy07 wrote:

If she is making 1/2 and 1/2 = 1, then yeah, it's wrong. If they are 1 + 1 = 2, then that's something else.

supermommy07 wrote:

On a side note I hate when see a family with 5 or 7 girls and they are all dressed identically from the 2 year old to the bat mitzvah girl

It's nice to know who the family making the simcha is.

On the other hand, they younger ones will have the same dress for many many years, with passing clothes down. They must be mighty sick of wearing it.

No one can tell the twins apart cuz they are completely identical and are always matching. The only time anyone can tell the difference is if one of them fell and has a bruise or cut on their face. they also go by "the twins".

Also for my second topic. I WAS NOT talking about a simcha I was talking about every shabbos in shul and every sunday in the park. Sorry I wasent clear. A simach is a different story, although I was recently at a wedding where there were twin grls who were second cousins of the kallah, 17 years old and matching from head to toe. Thought it was pretty strange. Not gowns,suits.
Anyways pple that insist that all their kids match every shabbos usually dont pass clothing down cuz then the older ones cant match. Am I wrong?

intrigued

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 3:33 pm
I know someone who has a boy and girl set oftwins. She ONLY dresses them matching!! They are 2 now and look NOTHING alike but depending on the day they look like 2 boys or 2 girls. She tries to dress them in neutral colours but sometimes they look too girly. The girl has earrings though. It's funny because the girl doesn't really have hair and the boys is quite long so people always mix up the gender.

farm

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 3:36 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
farm wrote:

no, but (according to me) you have to work harder or pay more to dress her for shabbos and yom tov

drumjj

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 3:46 pm
supermommy07 wrote:
Your twins are not identical so its a different issue. I would buy 2 of a few special outfits, and then the rest co-ordinating(similar style but different pattern or same outfit but different color) and just mix and match. Its gets old matching twins every single day and then its not extra special or cute when they have that adorable shabbos dress for shul that is matching!

On a side note I hate when see a family with 5 or 7 girls and they are all dressed identically from the 2 year old to the bat mitzvah girl. I dont think its cute at all. Different strokes for different folks!

from someone who is an identical twin girl, I think this is disgusting, the children will be compared their whole lives and never be able to forge their own identity.
about the clothes I would buy co-ordinating two different type outfits and chop and change as u feel.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more