Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Cooking meat for Pesach without it ending up 'tough'

nechami1

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 2:15 am
Does anyone have any advice or recipes for me. Last year I cooked meat for Pesach, roasted, oven etc, and when it came to eating it the meat was really tough. I ended up throwing it out, and I felt so down about it, as I had really put in alot of effort. this year I am having people stay over Yom Tov, and I cant afford any mistakes!! Anyone with some good recipes or advice please?!! embarrassed

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 2:34 am
It depends on which cuts of meat you're thinking of. If it's high-quality meat like top rib, the trick is not to overcook--keep it medium rare in the middle. If it's cheaper cuts like brisket, what you need is a slow looong cooking and make sure they're covered in liquid (I cook my brisket at 130C for like 4-6hours and they come out really tender.) Also marinating the meat beforehand in marinade contianing wine or vinegar or pureed pineapple helps to soften the meat.

sarahd

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 2:41 am
Meat that might be tough should be cooked on a low flame/baked at a low temperature in liquid (I.e. braised.)

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 8:06 am
There is a long thread here about how to cook meat (maybe specifically brisket). Take a look for it in the recipes section. It had a lot of good tips.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 6:51 pm
Making your roast in the crockpot ensures a very tender roast.

theima8

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 1:55 am
I fry some onions, cut meet into small peaces, add a little salt-pepper-etc. -spices, some garlic , wine,water, cook it for about an hour, then put lots of potatoes in and cook it all for a LONG time. Not so fancy, but all my kids love it.

nechami1

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 3:21 am
Thanks for all your great tips. How do you then heat up your meat on Yom tov and for how long? I think that this is where I go wrong, when it comes to heating it up. Tongue Out

shevi82

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 3:35 am
First let meat marinate in spices overnight, in the fridge. Then cook it on the stove for a long time 5-6 hours, with sautéed onions garlic, spices, honey and water.
After cooked let it cool off and slice only when cold. To rewarm transfer to aluminum pan cover with foil and keep in preheated oven until ready to serve.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics