Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
What can I make with goulash meat...?

sarahd

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 8:31 am
...besides goulash, of course?

ally

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 8:46 am
My favourite recipe...Make sure you make the gremolata as well, it is unbelievable...

http://www.jamieoliver.com/rec.....-stew

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 8:47 am
I made a stew in the crockpot this morning with the stew meat, 2 potatoes diced, 2 carrots diced, 1 stalk of celery diced, onion diced, lots of mushroom, a bay leaf, and broth.

Very different flavor than a tomato sauce based stew.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 8:48 am
Oh, also meat tzimmes with carrots, sweet potatoes, etc is delicious. (purple spice and spirit)

flyingmum

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 8:50 am
You can use it for your cholent.
There was a receipy in the Binah magazine a while ago. Kind of a gulash with carrots peas I think also corn instead of potatoes. Also if you add a bit of wine it's really delicious.
I can see if I still kept that recipe if your interested.

sarahd

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 9:08 am
ally wrote:
My favourite recipe...Make sure you make the gremolata as well, it is unbelievable...

Sounds good, but a lot of those ingredients are not available here/now, eg. parsnips, sage and butternut squash. How vital are they for the recipe?

sarahd

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 9:09 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I made a stew in the crockpot this morning with the stew meat, 2 potatoes diced, 2 carrots diced, 1 stalk of celery diced, onion diced, lots of mushroom, a bay leaf, and broth.

Very different flavor than a tomato sauce based stew.

I can try that, but I was wondering if there's something not stewey to make with goulash meat.

ally

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 9:18 am
sarahd wrote:
ally wrote:

Sounds good, but a lot of those ingredients are not available here/now, eg. parsnips, sage and butternut squash. How vital are they for the recipe?

I would recommend using dried sage...I have done that before and it was still good. It would probably still be fine even without sage but it definitely adds something.
Parsnips are definitely not vital (they are really expensive here!!! so I don't always use them), nor are jerusalem artichokes.
Do you have any other type of pumpkin available? I am not a huge potato fan so I like using lots of carrots and pumpkin. I think you can get away with using any root vegetables though.

What really makes the stew though is the lemon-garlic-rosemary you put on top.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 10:00 am
sarahd wrote:
I was wondering if there's something not stewey to make with goulash meat.

You can marinate the cubes of meat in a plastic bag with olive oil, garlic, and salt for 2-3 days.
That will soften it up for quick cooking.
Then thread it through skewers, alternating with cubed veggies, and grill for just a few minutes on each side.
(I use club steak for this.)

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Mar 31 2011, 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Merrymom

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 10:56 am
Make a yapchik for Shabbos. Cook your meat until halfway cooked with onions in a saucepan. Put in a baking pan and top with your favorite potato kugel recipe. Bake as usual and leave cooking overnight. Serve for Shabbos lunch. Delicious!

sarahd

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 11:01 am
Merrymom, yapchik is fantastic. However, it's our Pesach cholent that we look forward to all year. I'm not going to ruin the experience by having it two weeks earlier...

ramom, I think I'll go with the grill idea. My family will love it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics