Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Fish from scratch

mom71

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 3:55 pm
Can somebody please post a recipe for fish for Pesach. I don't use gebroks or potatoe starch. Please it fails every year. I really want "yummy" fish this year. There has to be someone who makes delicious fish. I have 5 pounds of white and pike fish mixed together. If it helps, you can post a recipe for 1 pound and I'll just work from there.
THANKS!

Depressed

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 4:14 pm
are we talking filets, or ground up..

Karnash

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 4:36 pm
You can use cooked mashed potatoes instead of matzo meal or potato starch. I don't have a gefilte fish recipe with potatoes, as we do use matza meal, but I've made tuna or salmon patties using mashed potatoes. But, I think you'd have to bake it and not cook it in water/broth.

Motic11

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 4:57 pm
I am assuming you are talking about ground fish here.
You can use ground almonds that will bind it.
Do you have ground up onions too? I usually ask the fish store for ground onions, which saves me having to grind them up myself.

for one lb of fish I would put:

2 eggs
ground onions
salt, sugar and pepper to taste and any other spices you usually use
ground almonds, put it in spoon by spoon so you can see how much binding it needs.
You can also add some potato flour if you want, just a bit at a time.
Mix all together.
Let stand for a bit, maybe 20 mins to half hour to settle.
Then you can either roll them up in wax paper to a salami shape and freeze, ready for cooking,
or cook right away by forming them into balls.

A simple way to cook balls is water sugar (or sweetner if you dont use sugar) salt pepper, an onion whole, and carrots sliced up. make sure water is boiling and slowly put the balls in, cook for 35-40 mins.

or you can bake the frozen roll. Put it in silver foil container still wrapped in its baking paper, add water to cover, add an onion, slice carrots, add salt and pepper and sugar (if you wish, I dont bother with the sugar, but some people like it really sweet.) cover with silver foil and bake for an hour and half on 350.

hope this helps.
Enjoy

Depressed

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 5:44 pm
Usually, ppl who dont use potato starch, dont use gmuliner (ground) fish eith either but I dont know..

mom71

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 8:50 pm
nope, we use ground fish and don't use potatoe starch. I know many people who do.

Kayza

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 9:41 pm
mom71 wrote:
nope, we use ground fish and don't use potatoe starch. I know many people who do.
I generally make the fish without any binders - but I do that on the rare occasions when I make my own gefilte fish during the year. The thing is, I haven't used pike and white for years, but I think my mother did the same thing, with pike and white. My sister grinds potatoes (not potato starch) into her gefilte fish.

Kayza

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 9:45 pm
Depressed wrote:
Usually, ppl who dont use potato starch, dont use gmuliner (ground) fish eith either but I dont know..
Way too broad of a statement.

The people who I know that don't use potato starch either don't want to use anything that looks flour like, which is totally not applicable to fish, ground or not, or because they don't use anything that is more processed than necessary. But that applies only processed outside their home, and lots of people who find potato starch too much trouble have no problem with grinding their own fish.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 11:16 pm
I have a recipe saved from the Bina, from a year or two ago, that I can post if you'd like.

Depressed

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 12:07 am
Kayza wrote:
Depressed wrote:
Way too broad of a statement.

The people who I know that don't use potato starch either don't want to use anything that looks flour like, which is totally not applicable to fish, ground or not, or because they don't use anything that is more processed than necessary. But that applies only processed outside their home, and lots of people who find potato starch too much trouble have no problem with grinding their own fish.

DH told me that his mother said all the families in the lower east side that didnt use potato starch, for sure didnt eat gmulliner fish. Potato starch was a basic staple of the vast majority, whereas, the minhag in glitzia was to eat slices of fish, preferably carp, because if you grind it up, things can fall in unnoticed...

losingweight

Post Mon, Apr 04 2011, 12:43 am
To each pound of fish:

1 egg
1/4 t white pepper
1/3 cup sugar
a splash of seltzer
ground onions if u like the taste

mix well with the dough hook of the mixer. When it is all mixed:
2 t salt

mix well and roll into loaves on parchment paper that has been crumpled and made wet. Cook for 1 hour.
In the water for cooking put a large onion, some carrots, lots of sugar and salt to taste. If you use pepper, add as well.
I make it every week for shabbos and it's delicious.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics