Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Ok, so how would you define HELL?

robynm

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 11:35 am
This is a breakoff of the thread about what happens after we die.

It got me thinking about HELL or if you call it Gehenom. How do you picture it? Do you believe it exists? Is it all made up to scare us into doing teshuva? Do we all get to go to Olam Haba? Or is part of the process, to go to hell first?

So here's my idea about hell. And no I am NOT an apikores. I just think a lot, have an imagination and have an intense and difficult relationdhip with the One Above.

SO I have two pictures in my head

1. HELL is like a concert. its really hot. and we all have seats. (and I somehow think I have a front row seat) and am gonna be there for a long time.... (this is probably influenced by the media and movies)

2. this is what I really belive
HELL is a state of mind. A place current lifestyle. not necessarily after you die. A person can be in Hell in this life. So when they say "Rasha v'tov lo"- he supposedly suffers in the next life, and the good people suffer in this life.

Im confused. ANd I know there are no real answers. But this is something I always think about. ANd the answer of "just do teshuva" doesnt work for me

so help me out.... I want to hear your thoughts...

mama-star

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 12:29 pm
to my understanding the state of gehena (G-d forbid) is when a person't soul is violently flung about in a process of cleansing and teshuva. it is supposed to be torturous for the soul. Crying

hell in olam hazeh is your 2 yr old screaming at the top of his lungs to listen to uncle moishy for the 50 jillionth time. LOL

amother

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 12:39 pm
I remember one of my teachers in school saying that in this world everything has a beginning and end. Once we leave this world there is eternity. Sinning causes tremendous embarrasment for the soul and this embarrassment will be an everlasting shame.

This also goes for mitzvos which will bring much pleasure for the soul- forever after.

grin

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 1:01 pm
my understanding of both heaven and hell is very similar. In olam ha'emes, you are given full view and understanding of the repercussions of all your actions. If you did and meant well, you will feel pride and deep satisfaction at your accomplishments; hell is the acute embarrassment you will feel at your failures and the anguish you may caused to others by your actions.

we're also told that these experiences on olam haba far surpass both any pleasure and lahavdil any agony felt in this world. That means that whatever you're' going through now, it's still easier than what you could be going through in gehenom to atone for any unsavoriness on your part.

I'm working on assimilating this into my own life as well as picturing any and all suffering as Hashem trying to scrub me shiny squeaking clean from all my avieros, readying me for a higher spiritual level than I'm at presently (and may I add: whether I like it or not, whether I asked for it or not - my neshama asked for it. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil and I have to try to accept it.)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
I remember one of my teachers in school saying that in this world everything has a beginning and end. Once we leave this world there is eternity. Sinning causes tremendous embarrasment for the soul and this embarrassment will be an everlasting shame.

This also goes for mitzvos which will bring much pleasure for the soul- forever after.

Re the first paragraph: really? I don't know exactly how time works once we're out of the material world but there is the concept of saying kaddish for only 11 months because it's only the serious reshaim who suffer longer than that. The rest of us are finished with the cleansing (or come back, I guess).

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 1:37 pm
grin wrote:
my understanding of both heaven and hell is very similar. In olam ha'emes, you are given full view and understanding of the repercussions of all your actions. If you did and meant well, you will feel pride and deep satisfaction at your accomplishments; hell is the acute embarrassment you will feel at your failures and the anguish you may caused to others by your actions.

we're also told that these experiences on olam haba far surpass both any pleasure and lahavdil any agony felt in this world. That means that whatever you're' going through now, it's still easier than what you could be going through in gehenom to atone for any unsavoriness on your part.

I'm working on assimilating this into my own life as well as picturing any and all suffering as Hashem trying to scrub me shiny squeaking clean from all my avieros, readying me for a higher spiritual level than I'm at presently (and may I add: whether I like it or not, whether I asked for it or not - my neshama asked for it. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil and I have to try to accept it.)

I've heard similar.

It will be the first time out body and yetzer HaRa isnt interfering in our thought process. For the first time we can judge each action objectively. We will be proud of all we did right, but ashamed of all we did wrong- all the missed opportunities to do mitzvahs. Its almost a grief for the lost chances.

So G-d gives us some time, a 'time out' of sorts to sit and reflect on our life, come to terms with all that we did and process it. Like the 5 stages of grief, but instead of being done by the mourner, being done by the departed neshama.

G-d isnt punishing us, or hurting us during this time. It is a time of solitude and reflection. Once we have come to terms with everything, then we are all set.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 1:41 pm
Okay, but 11 months in Hell can seem like an eternity...

I also learned that Hell is shame. Better to get it in this world (not that we seek it out, but if it happens, we can think at least it's now instead of later).

What is a trick about "just" doing teshuva? Teshuva means returning to Hashem / or to ourselves = becoming more authentic and true to reality. Integrated. A person like that doesn't need Hell / doesn't experience life now or later as Hell.

The sitting at a concert image strikes me as too relaxing. Sitting in chairs?

Last edited by Isramom8 on Tue, Apr 05 2011, 1:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 1:43 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Okay, but 11 months in Hell can seem like an eternity...

I also learned that Hell is shame. Better to get it in this world (not that we seek it out, but if it happens, we can think at least it's now instead of later).

Absolutely. But it does come to an end.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions