Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Is this nice enough for shabbos?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 8:34 am
I think this dress is cute, but can't decide if it's nice enough for a shabbos dress. What do you think?

http://www.crazy8.com/shop/dep.....31496

shoshina

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 8:36 am
What is your communities/families Shabbos habits? In my house that would not be dressy enough, but in many, many other homes I know that dress would be perfect for Shabbos, especially with pretty hairband and nice shabbos shoes. I agree that it is ADORABLE though!!

SingALong

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 8:58 am
If u want it to be below the knees, make sure to try it on. Sometimes they write knee length and it's really above

zaq

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 9:02 am
In a modern community, for sure. In a community in which little girls are dressed in frilly party dresses and lace-trimmed socks, no.

OTOH it depends also on you and your values. If your dd's comfort is important to you, as it should be, and if she's younger than 3 or 4, then dress her in what makes sense to you and forget about everyone else's standards. Provided dd is young enough to not know the difference and not feel bad that everyone is fancier than she is, who cares what everyone else does?

LUV2SLEEP

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 9:17 am
IMO its a really cute everyday dress. However, little kids can get away with a lot though...

amother

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 9:29 am
zaq wrote:
In a community in which little girls are dressed in frilly party dresses and lace-trimmed socks, no.

I've never seen this, actually even rarely to actual parties. Not even in the most rich and "modern" (in the bad sense) circles.

obagys

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 9:43 am
It really depends on your own level of comfort and Shabbos style. In my community, I could easily see that dress on a little girl for Shabbos OR weekday, and no one would look twice either way. In my particular shul, that would totally work on shabbos with cute hair bows, frilly socks and Shabbos shoes. Everyone's standards for "dressing up" vary, so if you and your children are happy with what you choose to wear on Shabbos, and generally fit in with what people wear (not extremely overdressed/underdressed), I say go for it.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 10:00 am
With hair done nicely in a bow, and pretty shoes, I say yes!

shoshina

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 10:04 am
Quote:
zaq wrote:
In a community in which little girls are dressed in frilly party dresses and lace-trimmed socks, no.

amother wrote:
I've never seen this, actually even rarely to actual parties. Not even in the most rich and "modern" (in the bad sense) circles.

Have you really never seen this? Long dresses and those adorable bobby socks with lace? Also can you explain what is bad about dressing your daughters up for shabbos?

Last edited by shoshina on Fri, Apr 08 2011, 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
zaq wrote:

Interesting. I've seen communities where little boys are wearing lace knee socks, velvet shorts and patent-leather shoes. Thank goodness for the shorts, oitherwise I'd think they were girls. The girls? Miniature Southern belles in huge wide skirts with crinolines. Not "Modern" btw--charedi.

sarahmalka

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 10:39 am
Yes, could be made nice enough with fancy stockings, headband, nice white sweater. It's mod-looking, which is why it doesn't immediately read as fancy.

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 10:49 am
shoshina wrote:
Quote:
zaq wrote:

amother wrote:

Have you really never seen this? Long dresses and those adorable bobby socks with lace? Also can you explain what is bad about dressing your daughters up for shabbos?

only backwards chareidim wear nice clothes for shabbos. Rolling Eyes

ttbtbm

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 10:53 am
Would be fine in my neighborhood. Here we have everything from very expensive boutique wear (on babies!) to Old Navy clearance specials. With nice socks and hair accessory it would be cute. It's good for the summer because the kids play outside a lot on Shabbos afternoon and the dress looks comfy.

shoshina

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 10:56 am
Raisin, I detect a hilarious bit of sarcasm in your tone.

But I can't wait to tell my MO mother that she, her daughters, her nieces and her granddaughters are backward chareidim because we dress up for Shabbos...should make for good table talk tonight!!

chillax

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 11:10 am
It's cute, but I don't think it's dressy enough to be a Shabbos dress. JMHO

MrsMortgage

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 11:41 am
It's good for a casual summer shabbos

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 11:45 am
Raisin wrote:
shoshina wrote:
Quote:
zaq wrote:

amother wrote:

only backwards chareidim wear nice clothes for shabbos. Rolling Eyes

I grew up on frilly dresses in a MO community.

Even in my current MO community many kids wear frilly dresses.

shoshina

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 11:50 am
Me too saw50! My nieces are now! I strongly defend the right of little girls to wear dresses that make them look like princesses one day a week because it makes them happy!

DrMom

Post Sat, Apr 09 2011, 12:04 pm
It's cute! If you throw in a hairban and nice shoes, it could work, at least in my community. It's hard for me to tell how long it is, though.

granolamom

Post Sat, Apr 09 2011, 6:42 pm
not sure what charedi/modern has to do with it. I'd think in either case it would have more to do with how much time/money people spend on kids clothes.
I know 'modern' people who spend upwards of $100 on a kids outfit and some who shop old navy clearance for shabbos. I know charedi people who do the same (both ends).
I guess either do what feels right to you or look around your neighborhood and see if it would fit in on shabbos.
impossible for us to say more than there is nothing inherently wrong with that dress for shabbos.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers