Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Pesach rolls

imamama

Post Sat, Apr 16 2011, 3:14 pm
How do you make 'em?

rivpom

Post Sat, Apr 16 2011, 6:58 pm
my MIL just made them at my house on Friday. They aren't so good. Not worth the effort.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 9:33 am
from KBD

Gebrokts Popovers
• 1 cup water
• 1/3 cup unsalted butter or margarine
• 1/2 cup matzo meal
• 1/2 cup matzo cake meal
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 2 Tbsp sugar
• 6 large eggs

Preheat oven to 450. Generously grease the top and inside cups of a non-stick muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
In a medium pot, bring the water and butter or margarine to a boil over medium heat. Add the matzo meal, matzo cake meal, salt and sugar. Continue cooking, stirring often until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the pot.
Remove the pot from the stove and transfer the dough to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat the dough at a high speed for 1 minute. Add eggs one at a time, continue beating after each addition. Beat for another 1-2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
Divide the dough among the 8 muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes. Without opening the oven door, reduce heat to 325 and bake for another 30 minutes or until puffed and golden. Remove from pan and serve.
Serve straight out of the oven. great slathered in butter or jam for breakfast

6coop

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 10:34 am
This is my grandmother's recipe, so we've been making it for a long time, and we all love it.

1/2 cup Nyafat (I told you it was my grandmother's recipe. I just use margarine.)
1 cup boiling water
2 cups matzoh meal
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs

Add fat to boiling water in a pot. Heat until melted. Add dry ingredients all at once and beat rapidly over low heat until it forms a ball. Remove from heat and beat in eggs one at a time until thick and smooth. Shape into 12 balls and place on a cookie sheet. Draw an "x" on top of each one and bake @ 375 for 1 hr. or until golden brown.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Apr 18 2011, 12:11 am
click and scroll down

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 18 2011, 1:34 am
2 cups matza meal
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup oil
1tbsp sugar
1teasp salt
4 eggs

Mix matza meal, sugar and salt in a bowl. Boil 1 cup water and 1/2 oil together and add to the dry ingredients. Add 1 egg at a time, combining well. Make into flattened balls, bake in 180C oven for 30-40min. This should yield 10-12rolls. Best eaten fresh from the oven, or can be reheated in an oven the same/next day.

frosting

Post Wed, Apr 16 2014, 2:29 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
2 cups matza meal
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup oil
1tbsp sugar
1teasp salt
4 eggs

Mix matza meal, sugar and salt in a bowl. Boil 1 cup water and 1/2 oil together and add to the dry ingredients. Add 1 egg at a time, combining well. Make into flattened balls, bake in 180C oven for 30-40min. This should yield 10-12rolls. Best eaten fresh from the oven, or can be reheated in an oven the same/next day.

Is this any good? Anyone here tried it?

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Apr 16 2014, 3:18 pm
I think they need to be baked for about 45min.
They're good for the day when you baked and the following day but don't keep longer than that (they'll go rock hard). My kids demolish them with cream cheese and jam for breakfast.

Frumdoc

Post Wed, Apr 16 2014, 5:25 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
2 cups matza meal
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup oil
1tbsp sugar
1teasp salt
4 eggs

I made with potato flour instead of matza meal, as I wanted to make it lighter. And no sugar, but I did add some garlic powder, about a tablespoon full. Baked high, on 200-220 for 25 mins, until they rose. Were great, light and delicious, like a very light cracker but soft. They don't last more than 24 hours, though, get very dry.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Apr 16 2014, 11:40 pm
I make these rolls all the time - My family loves them - we barely eat Matza. The method is as important as the ingredients. One year I wrote down exact instruction since who remembers from year to year. I always make 2 batches at once (24 rolls) since half get eaten at once - but 2 important things so if you don't eat this, don't use my recipe since I'm not taking responsibility - 1 - I don't use Shmura matza meal - I use regular matza meal. 2 - Use a light oil (in Israel canola or cotton seed)

For 2 batches of rolls - 2 cookie sheets - 24 rolls

1 C oil
2 C water
1 bag (500 gm) matza meal
2 tsp salt
2 Tbs sugar
8 eggs

1 - Put oil and water in mixing bowl
2- Microwave exactly 5 minutes and 20 seconds - Note - it's dangerous to microwave oil so the exact time is very important so it's just boiling. (if you make only one batch, you'll have to watch and find your exact boiling time)
3- While the oil/water is boiling (your first time, you should do all this before you turn on the microwave) -
a - cut open the Matza Meal and put the sugar and salt in the bag (don't have to mix)
b - break 8 eggs (I use my pyrex measuring cup - there's never blood here so I put all 8 right in but I can see anyway since it's pyrex) - don't mix/break the eggs
4- When the water/oil is boiling (BTW, you can boil in a pot) - Take out of microwave and immediately throw the whole matza meal mixture in (it may hiss a little - that's good but OK if it doesn't)
5- Start mixing oil and MM and add the eggs one at a time - You can do it quickly. Batter gets very thick and climbs up the mixer - It's OK. Don't mix too long.
6- Let stand for 15 minutes - Meanwhile heat your oven to 375 degrees and put baking paper on your 2 cookie sheets
7- Put oil on your hands and roll into balls (the challenge is to get exactly 24 rolls from the batter Very Happy ) - You can flatten them a drop but don't totally flatten - kind of "unround" them
8- Bake exactly 50 minutes

They're great with butter or jelly. We eat them with hamburgers too

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Apr 16 2014, 11:51 pm
Does anyone else find that any of these rolls taste just like baked kneidlach? My mom AH used to make them and they were good, but any time I've made them I just feel like I'm eating a fluffy baked kneidle LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics