Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do you wear any piece of jewish jewellery every day?
1  2  Next

marshmellow

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 12:29 pm
a magen david, chai or a hamsa that you wear all the time? I personally wear a magen david which I never take off but it's small and always under my clothes so no one sees it unless I want to wear a pretty one to be visible for an occasion.

what about you?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 1:45 pm
No.

I wear my wedding ring and band on one hand, and on the other hand goes my other 2 every day rings, but other than that, anything goes.

On Sundays, when I go to the gym, I don't wear any jewelry at all.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 2:17 pm
Earings-never leave home without it.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 3:03 pm
Op said jewish themed jewelry.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 3:59 pm
Earrings (hoops) and wedding ring, engagement diamond, a ring, gift from DH heart shaped.
Jewish themed: My mom's bas mitsva ring (gift from her parents) and a magen david ring my dad bought me.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 4:01 pm
I don't think I own any at this point, not even ones with my name or anything which would be jewish themed I suppose.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 4:22 pm
I'm sorry. Jewish jewelry.

No, I don't thinkI even own anything Jewish anymore. When I grew up OOT, it was fun to wear a Mogan David or some such. Now that I live in a big jewish neighborthood, I don't seem to need that ... reminder.

Nomie

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 5:00 pm
I got a wonderful silver ring from the nachalat binyamin market in tel aviv that has the words "אושר, אהבה, מזל" lightly carved into it. I liked it b/c it was a little more subtle than a lot of the Jewish Jewelry I've seen.

mosma

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 5:20 pm
I don't wear this all the time, but pretty often so I'm gonna count it:
I have a handmade silver ring from a studio in the old city that says "gam ze ya'avor" and inside it has an engraving of jerusalem and my name in hebrew (it's pretty wide).
(when you buy the ring, you also get the story from the jeweler. it's pretty cool. not sure if it's still around though. I know for the few years after sem a lot of girls were getting it but I was one of the first Wink )

sequoia

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 5:20 pm
I'm glad this question has come up because I've been meaning to ask: why is it that only secular Jews wear magen david necklaces?

shnitzel

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 5:59 pm
sequoia wrote:
I'm glad this question has come up because I've been meaning to ask: why is it that only secular Jews wear magen david necklaces?

I think it is how they show they are Jewish and that they are proud of their heritage. DH always wore a gold magen david before he was frum but once he started wearing a kippah all the time it wasn't important to him. I don't feel a need to announce that I am Jewish because the way I dress and what I do & don't do make it very obvious.

I wear a hodaya necklace with my name on it in Hebrew during the week. Don't know if that is considered Jewish or not.

mosma

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 6:14 pm
shnitzel wrote:
sequoia wrote:

I think it is how they show they are Jewish and that they are proud of their heritage. DH always wore a gold magen david before he was frum but once he started wearing a kippah all the time it wasn't important to him. I don't feel a need to announce that I am Jewish because the way I dress and what I do & don't do make it very obvious.

I wear a hodaya necklace with my name on it in Hebrew during the week. Don't know if that is considered Jewish or not.

hadaya! that's the name of the studio where my ring is from. thanks for reminding me of the name Very Happy

Nomie

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 6:23 pm
speaking of how secular Jews show their pride- I have been noticing a ton of hebrew tattoos on the subways lately. I saw a man with the words חיים טהורים ("live pure") written across his ankle- totally bizarre. The hebrew letters themselves are beautiful, so I don't blame someone for wanting to get them tattooed- it's just such a taboo in orthodox and RW culture.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 25 2011, 2:01 pm
I wear a ring that dh gave me for our 1-year anniversary. It looks like a flat, simple wide yellow gold band with a pasuk written on it with cut-out letters.

Sometimes I wear it instead of my wedding ring (which is white gold).

Isramom8

Post Mon, Apr 25 2011, 6:25 pm
My Shabbos necklace is a hamsa, but just because I needed some charm for the chain and that was what I liked. In general, I feel that dressing betznius is my Jewish symbol.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 5:14 pm
sequoia wrote:

I'm not exactly secular Wink
Neither is DD's chassidish mora.

dee's mommy

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 11:46 pm
I used to a lot, but not so much anymore. (I moved to a more "frum" neighbourhood, where such things tend not to be worn very much.) I try to wear them every now and then, because I do have quite a collection. They are mostly in forms of pendants.

One pendant, a Magen Dovid was a high school graduation present from my parents, another, a chamsa was a twenty first birthday present. One was a chai I had when I was a baby. Another chai my mother gave me. Another was a circle with a blue Magen Dovid that my mother let me wear for my brother's Bar Mitzvah, and later gave to me. Others I bought for myself because they were pretty. The list goes on.

And, my mother gave my daughter a chamsa too, which I let her wear on Shabbos sometimes.

I think I wore them more before I was frum, and even after, I still wore them a lot. I suppose as I noticed that most of my peers seem not to wear them, I just started wearing other things more often.

checkbefore

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 11:15 am
My wedding band is a square, not the traditional round one, so I consider that Jewish Jewelry.

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 2:31 pm
No. I see no reason to wear "Jewish-themed" jewelry at all. If I'm living a jewish-themed life, it's superfluous, and if I'm not living a Jewish-themed life, what's the point? The one item I wear with any frequency, I wear because it happens to match my favorite outfit, and I would wear it just as often if it were a freeform abstract creation.

OTOH if I had a charm bracelet with a collection of jewish-themed charms, I could see wearing that. Because in that case it would be more like having a miniature judaica art collection on my wrist, not hanging out a placard "Look! I'm Jewish! (Or want to be.)"

suzyq

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 2:38 pm
I have a posuk ring that I wear a lot, but I don't think anyone who sees it has a clue that it's Hebrew lettering on it. I also used to wear a necklace a lot that had sand from Eretz Yisrael in it - it's not overtly Jewish but I had a lot of people comment on it and I would explain what it was.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics