Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
How do I know if she's ready?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 9:49 pm
dd is 15 months old, but extremely verbal, intelligent, and emotionally mature. (says 70+ words clearly and strings them together to make sentences, says 'I love you' while giving hugs without being coached, knows all of her books by name...) she is my first child. she calls her #2s by name and seems interested in the toilet, and when she has no diaper on and she has a #1 on the floor (before/after bath, during diaper change, whatever) which happened 2ce within the past couple of weeks, she pointed it out to me and seemed a big uncomfortable about it, but I have not really heard of people toilet training this young.

is it doable? should I just forget it, or give her the chance and see if she is really up for it? (I dont mind changing her diapers, or paying for them, but its not about that.) if I should encourage her, what are your suggestions? buy her a little potty? help her sit on the big one?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 12:19 pm
is its a boy, not before 2.5. girl, no younger than 2. they dont understand their bodies and they dont undestand consequences well enough yet.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 1:13 pm
I think, it does not hurt to start. I am training my 3 y.o. now and I wish I started earlier.

happy mom1

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 6:05 pm
Keep in mind that even if you DO manage to train her, she may have a setback later on, in which case you'll have to train her again. I've seen that with a few of my friends who trained their kids too early. If you do decide to train, GOOD LUCK! Smile

amother

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 11:01 pm
go for it!!!! I'm doing my 18 month old ds now. I started today just on a whim and we only had 2 accidents!

the first time he went in the potty was 4 months ago. I saw that he was holding himself. I asked him if he had to peepee and if he wanted to go in the potty. he said yes. and went! that was at 14 months. my husband got so excited he went and told our rav. lol. I was just too lazy to do anything about it.

since then I've been toying with the idea and today he was scratching himself from being in a diaper all night I decided to put undies on him for a while. then I just decided to leave the undies on all day and take him to the bathroom every hour.

you don't need prizes. just encouragement. you'll see that you'll be so excited for her and proud of her that it will be a pleasure to do. and hopefully be consistent with.

sugarplum

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 11:05 pm
she sounds ready to me. the maala of this age is that they still want to please you.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 11:52 pm
my pediatrian says that you can start as early as 6 mo..

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 11:54 pm
Honestly, I would wait until she is a bit older. Eventhough you feel she is ready it's too young. I wouldn't start before 21 months of age.

iluvy

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 11:59 pm
Everyone in my family was trained at 18 months. She is more than showing all the signs of being ready - definitely go for it!

flowerpower

Post Fri, Apr 29 2011, 12:02 am
Here's a little tip-being toilet trained means no pull up or you taking the kid to the bathroom instead of waiting for him to ask because you are scared she will have an accident. Toilet training means self initiation and dry underpants. are you ready for your tiny toddler to be running to the bathroom all day or would wait a bit till she is older?

amother

Post Fri, Apr 29 2011, 12:17 am
yes, that's right. toilet trainED means no pull up or taking the child to the bathroom. but toilet trainING involves a lot of parental initiation in the beginning. Its part of the learning process. you help the child become aware. you can even potty train infants. In europe most children were fully potty trained by a yr and a half. My friends son is same age as mine. Her mother is israeli and has been hounding her for not having the baby trained yet. For her its not normal to wear a diaper for so long.
http://www.kellymom.com/parent......html

imaima

Post Fri, Apr 29 2011, 4:06 am
flowerpower wrote:
Here's a little tip-being toilet trained means no pull up or you taking the kid to the bathroom instead of waiting for him to ask because you are scared she will have an accident. Toilet training means self initiation and dry underpants. are you ready for your tiny toddler to be running to the bathroom all day or would wait a bit till she is older?

she does not have to be ready all the way in this age. But she can certainly have her ask her to put her on the potty, and spare herself some stinky diaper change experiences and save on diapers. Especially if the girl has a habit of making at certain times, it is definitely worth it to start training.

Don't listen to what others say. Don't wait till your child is 3 and makes potty training into power struggle, or demands candy for going, or is afraid of her own poop. All the articles 2 yrs ago said that the child can't be consciously readyuntil 2.5 yo or so. This may be true, but consciously or not, by the time she is this age, you will not be introducing toilet as a new concept to her.
All the recent articles and books say you can start at 1 yo

Laughing Bag!

Post Fri, Apr 29 2011, 5:34 am
she seems to be a good canddate to me, my dd I toilet trained at 21m.
my mom toilet traind all of us b4 2, my two oldest sis got trained at 13/14m they were verbal/expressive; the younger ones were a little later but from when the baby sits my mom placed us sitting on the potty and often got us to poo saving the messy #@ changes Smile if it was possible then its possible now it only depends if THE MOMMY IS READY.
you can always start and if it doesnt work within the first few days then just leave her alone.

Good Luck enjoy your little one Smile

IloveHashem613

Post Fri, Apr 29 2011, 4:25 pm
amother wrote:

oh really?

imaima

Post Sun, May 01 2011, 2:30 pm
IloveHashem613 wrote:
amother wrote:

oh really?

yes. in many cultures people start to put the child on the potty as soon as he can sit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training