Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What is a chassunah mall???????

Raisin

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 4:13 pm
??????????????? I am imagining a mall full of menora and streimal and jewellery and judaica stores. Full of blushing brides and shy chassanim and pushy mothers. And fathers having a heart attack quietly in the corner.

intrigued

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 4:25 pm
Raisin wrote:
??????????????? I am imagining a mall full of menora and streimal and jewellery and judaica stores. Full of blushing brides and shy chassanim and pushy mothers. And fathers having a heart attack quietly in the corner.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

zaq

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 5:24 pm
Is this a permanent installation or a temporary event, as in One week only chassunah mall in XYZ Convention center? If the latter, I'd assume it's like any other trade-show where vendors of anything a couple-to-be could want, need, or be persuaded to buy present their wares. Printing, flowers, liquors, wedding planners, insurance, formalwear, jewelry, judaica, cakes, furniture, estate agents, limousines, makeup artists, photographers, appliances, tableware, cookware, bedding, landscaping, computers, phone service, portrait artists, beauticians, calligraphers, pharmaceuticals, lighting, books, fragrance and beauty products, vacation spots, catering halls, hotels, caterers, travel agents, giftware, engraving...

MommyZ

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 5:37 pm
I see ads for them all the time in local Monsey circulars. They aren't temporary things. My guess is that since Chassidish weddings are often planned so quickly they were set up to help with the large number of purchases that have to take place in that limited time.

Maya

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 5:52 pm
MommyZ wrote:
I see ads for them all the time in local Monsey circulars. They aren't temporary things. My guess is that since Chassidish weddings are often planned so quickly they were set up to help with the large number of purchases that have to take place in that limited time.

Actually, Chassidish engagements are often longer than others. It's not uncommon to have nine- or ten-month engagements; it's actually the average. So that is not the reason for it.

I don't know exactly how it's set up, but "chasuna mall" means stores offer discounted prices on everything from furniture to jewelry.

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 6:14 pm
MommyZ wrote:

What planned quickly, all the chasidish people I know are engaged for at least half a year if not closer to a full year? Much longer than litvish/yeshivish afaik.

MommyZ

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 6:18 pm
Maya wrote:
MommyZ wrote:

Actually, Chassidish engagements are often longer than others. It's not uncommon to have nine- or ten-month engagements; it's actually the average. So that is not the reason for it.

I don't know exactly how it's set up, but "chasuna mall" means stores offer discounted prices on everything from furniture to jewelry.

They offer them as package deals.

amother

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 6:32 pm
Here we go..........I got married "with the chassuna mall".
Its ONE "store" carrying everything a couple needs (well, almost) under one roof.
You have to pay one price which includes everything. And you may choose from a selection.
Say, they have 5-6 sets furniture. Choose ANY.
Jewelry, Linen.....etc......
I went out loving everything, (most of which my mom wouldn't get me if not for this mall) including choosing my jewelry Wink

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 7:35 pm
zaq wrote:
Is this a permanent installation or a temporary event, as in One week only chassunah mall in XYZ Convention center? If the latter, I'd assume it's like any other trade-show where vendors of anything a couple-to-be could want, need, or be persuaded to buy present their wares. Printing, flowers, liquors, wedding planners, insurance, formalwear, jewelry, judaica, cakes, furniture, estate agents, limousines, makeup artists, photographers, appliances, tableware, cookware, bedding, landscaping, computers, phone service, portrait artists, beauticians, calligraphers, pharmaceuticals, lighting, books, fragrance and beauty products, vacation spots, catering halls, hotels, caterers, travel agents, giftware, engraving...

Hmmm. Nah, not that much. It's for jewelry, chosson gifts, furniture, shtreimels, linens, judaica.... the main, big expenses. There is a package deal, a set price,and you get a selection of several to choose from. This cuts down on the big trousseau expenses tremendously.

cheerio

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 8:14 pm
sounds cool... where do you find such a place?

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 8:18 pm
Fascinating... I'd never heard of a chassunah mall before the chosson watch thread.. Is this standard in Chassidish circles?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 11:39 pm
They are found in williamsgburg, boro park, monroe and monsey

checkbefore

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 1:53 pm
We did a Chasuna mall in Monsey. I am sooo not interested in shopping and shlepping from store to store, so this was a real breeze. Each side pays on average 11,000. In one shot I chose my dinette set, DR furniture, BR furniture, 3 linen sets, dust ruffle, 3 table cloths, the menora, becher, esrog box, leichter, diamond ring, and pearls. I came back another time to choose my dishes, cutlery, watch, earrings, last linen set, machzorim.
The mall I used also gave you a place to go for a gown, and I built my gown custom, for 1/4 price!
If you don't use the mall for a certain item, they will subtract that amount from the total bill. (We gave our own gold watch to my husband, so they subtracted 800 dollars from the kallahs side.)
I can not imagine spending my engagement running around looking for all this stuff and trying to narrow down my options. For someone that considers shopping worse than working, this was the perfect solution.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics