Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Window air conditioner for Israeli yeshiva dorm room?

underthestars

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 1:31 pm
Does anyone know of any places that sell room air conditioners in Yerushalyim? My son is learning over there and is very very hot, and would like to purchase an air conditioner, but we can't find any place that sells them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Isramom8

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 2:49 pm
Does the yeshiva agree to the use of all that extra electricity?

underthestars

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 4:38 pm
I don't know details- except that the yeshiva was supposed to put in air conditioners over pesach break, and never did. So, my son is looking for something to help cool him down. He doesn't do well in the heat

Isramom8

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 4:43 pm
Make it clear if it's a donation or his to remove from the window if he ever leaves that yeshiva! If they say they will install a/c, maybe wait a few days but no more. (Discuss with the administration.)

What about a plug-in fan? My dh just bought a powerful one for our 14 year old yeshiva bachur.

underthestars

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 8:08 am
I am not too worried about whether it would be a donation or not...he is older (21) so I know he will figure that part out. He has a fan already, although I am not sure it is a serious one, and is just suffering from heat. He can't seem to find someplace that sells room air conditioners---it isn't like the States where you can go into almost any store and buy one.

Happy 2B

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 8:17 am
is he in yerushalayim? I can ask my brothers they live there.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 8:18 am
This advice may be too late help you, but last year we bought a window unit in Baltimore and DS took it to Israel as a piece of luggage.

Perhaps your son can buy a used unit from another boy who is moving to a yeshiva that has central A/C or is moving back to the States.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 8:30 am
are you sure he has the energy to run it?

Lovingisrael

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 8:39 am
he can rent a window unit they will install it and take it away when he is done. but you should check with the yeshiva that his room can accomodate an air conditioner.

shalhevet

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 11:51 am
You absolutely must check with the yeshiva first. In EY, the electricity used to run A/C is considered expensive. Also, as choc moose said, it could put too much strain on the system if there isn't enough electricity available, and crash the entire system.

Tamiri

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 1:03 pm
Oy, if he's hot now when it's still cool out... what will he do in the summer? What does he do in the Beit Medrash? Are they using the a/c already?
Maybe the school will put one in when the hot season really starts. But why davka this year? If they were going to have a/c, it probably would have been installed already. In any event, if someone wants to use it now, you can understand why they don't have a/cs. It's too early in the season.
As people said, a/cs are very expensive to run in Jlm. Also, you can't put on in a window because then you can't open the window. Especially in Jlm, an a/c isn't something needed 24/7 during the summer, but people don't plug up their windows in any part of the country either.
If he's allowed to bring in an a/c and the electricity can support it, there are portable a/cs available in the stores. He can check on that.

Isramom8

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 2:38 pm
Yeah, they don't go in windows. Also, our a/c repairman said that the gas needed for the "old" kind is super expensive now, because they want everyone to buy the "new" kind. Therefore we ourselves are stuck right now with a broken a/c. B"H we have another one to cool the main area of the house.

The poster who mentioned buyying from a bachur who may be moving to a yeshiva with central a/c: LOL I don't know of any yeshivas here with central a/c!

My son's yeshiva air conditions the beis midrash only. I guess to encourage the bachurim to spend most of their time there.

underthestars

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 6:11 pm
You all are giving great advice and much to think about. I will mention to my son about all these points you have brought up and see where he can go from there. When we lived in Israel, we didn't live in Yerushalayim and we had the "normal" air conditioners. I can't imagine buying one from the States because the electricity will not be compatible. The beis medrash does have a/c and I also told him to spend as much time there as possible. But he is still suffering...He may not have any choice, but thanks for all your advice.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 7:50 pm
Quote:
The poster who mentioned buyying from a bachur who may be moving to a yeshiva with central a/c: LOL Laughing I don't know of any yeshivas here with central a/c!

The bochur is DS#2... he's at Rabbi Kaplan's, and the apartment he's in has A/C of some kind -- the yeshiva doesn't have a dorm. In any event, he didn't need DS#1's window unit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics