Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Chopped meat

willow

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 9:09 am
We almost never eat red meat and this is a treat. I am just not so sure what to do with it.
The list is endless so I need to narrow it down
What are some really good recipes

mandksima

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 9:44 am
Do you want healthy or really yummy but fattening?
A favorite when I want to go all out is meat borekas or meat roll. It also stretches the meat really far. Just saute an onion and a little garlic until soft, add the meat and break it up with a fork as it cooks. Add spices (oregano, parsley, salt and pepper, cayenne) and a little marinara sauce. You can add a squirt of bbq sauce for a kick. Roll out pastry dough and cut into squares. Put a little of the filling in center, fold over, close and place on pan. Can brush with egg and/or sesame seeds. Bake at 350 until browned on top and on the bottom.

The roll is easier if you roll out the pastry dough put the filling on and spread it all over, leaving an inch on each side empty. Roll up like a jellyroll and brush and bake longer than the borekas, maybe 35-45 min or more.

Or meatballs. The honey garlic ones posted here are great. Sweet and sour ones are yummy too.

Meat lasagna posted here is good.

Chopped beef is only slightly more expensive than chopped turkey here. If you want it lean, you have to buy it at the butcher and ask them to make it lean. The grocery store kind has added soy.

willow

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 8:39 am
Its the ground beef from the Argentina meat order so I know it is all beef and good quality.
I don't care if its fattening but I don't want to stretch it out like I usually do with beans or the like.

geemum

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 8:48 am
spaghetti bologanise is a family favorite with us.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 8:52 am
If it's not extra lean, I'd make sure to brown it and then drain off the fat before adding sauce for anything, or if being made into meatballs, bake before adding into sauce so the fat can drain off.

geemum

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 9:47 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
If it's not extra lean, I'd make sure to brown it and then drain off the fat before adding sauce for anything, or if being made into meatballs, bake before adding into sauce so the fat can drain off.

alternatively you can cool in the fridge for a while and then spoon off the congealed fat from the top. then reheat before serving.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 10:57 am
meatballs! I bake mine and then add them to sauce. I make italian style usually.

or shepherds pie is yummy.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 12:29 pm
I am looking for ideas with chop meat, I regularly make sloppy joes, meatballs and borekas, so what else is there to do? preferably something that is not any of the above or burgers....I'm kind of sick of all that stuff.

Would be helpful if recipes where egg free, but I can adjust them if they are not.

TIA Very Happy

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 12:41 pm
Some chopped meat items in my menu rotation:
Stuffed manicotti
Tacos
One pot meat/macaroni/sauce
Unstuffed cabbage
Meat lasagna

Fabulous

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 12:50 pm
beer battered meatballs from purple spice and spirit cookbook! YUMMMMM!!

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 1:09 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
I am looking for ideas with chop meat, I regularly make sloppy joes, meatballs and borekas, so what else is there to do? preferably something that is not any of the above or burgers....I'm kind of sick of all that stuff.

Would be helpful if recipes where egg free, but I can adjust them if they are not.

TIA Very Happy
meat loaf
meatballs done a hundred different ways (sweet or savory sauce, soup, pita, salad)
stuffed peppers
stuffed cabbage
stuffed zucchini
tacos
meat sauce
beef kebabs

thekosherchannel

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 1:31 pm
if you want something elegant try a Meat Roulade. It also uses ground chicken and serves a lot of people. If you want the recipe, just let me know.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 1:39 pm
great ideas...problem is my kids (and adult male non blood relative's)unsophisticated pallets.... Sad

yOungM0mmy

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 4:20 pm
The Meat Roulade in Kosher by Design Entertains is delicious, and really easy. Filo Pastry (with melted margarine, obviously), and the meat is cooked with your fave marinara sauce - I used spicy - and that's it. Looks great, tastes great, and very easy. And for unsophisticated palettes, it's cooked chopped meat with a bit of crunch from the filo (not that my kids would eat it, anyway...)

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 4:59 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
great ideas...problem is my kids (and adult male non blood relative's)unsophisticated pallets.... Sad

Would they eat stuffed zucchini? Ra_mom has a delicious recipe posted here- it's a hit with everyone I've made it for so far!

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....chini

baschabad

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 5:22 pm
Lasagna from the purple spice and spirit.
I usually substitute a 28 oz can of DICED tomatoes for the whole tomatoes.

willow

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 6:07 am
Hiya ladies I have tons of ideas too I want to narrow it down Maybe burgers with couscous or something? Sounds plain but really I want to really taste the meat itself and not down play it.
Naybe meatloaf?
Any great recipes?

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 9:06 pm
made meat lasagna, it was great! only 2 of my kids would eat it, oh well.

willow

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 6:00 am
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....39009

I think I am going with this.
It is a bit different and looks really good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics