Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Summer supper ideas
1  2  3  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 1:38 pm
I don't have a grill but I'd love some good ideas for the summer to replace my winter crockpot menu items.
I usually use the crockpot on Thursday night so my afternoon is free for Shabbos cooking, but it's getting too warm for stews and the like.

What are some good ideas to replace these dinners -- minimal prep time for me so I can concentrate on Shabbos (preferably fleishig as I only have one oven) but not too hot?

o'mom

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 1:43 pm
I like one recipe from the Binah/Family First.

Stuff a club-bread with baked meatballs and a sauce of onions & tomatoes (or whatever topping you like).
For the ultimate look, I like to serve it with french fries and coke.

It's healthy, appealing to the eye, and the best part is, that the kids love it!!!

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 1:47 pm
Do you have a sandwich maker? You can make grilled cheese, tuna/salmon melt, etc and serve with crudites, fresh cut fruit or a tossed salad.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 1:54 pm
Use the crockpot to make lighter fare. Like BBQ meatball sandwiches. Shredded beef buns. Whole roaster chickens.

Or do no bake dinners. Like cheese salads (Greek salad, shredded cheese avocado salad, shredded cheese Caesar salad) with crusty garlic bread (season and bake on high for a few minutes). Bean salads. Egg and avocado salad. Deviled eggs. Salmon (canned) salad on bed of greens. Humus plate. Mexican wrap. Creamy feta sandwich.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:13 pm
Meatballs is a Tuesday night dinner here; no time to do that Thursday....

No sandwich maker.

Hubby will not go for salad-based dinners Sad (If I was cooking for myself, I'd totally do it!)

Shredded beef buns -- how much meat would I need to feed 2 adults, 4 kids?
(Don't want to do chicken as we have that the next night for Shabbos, unless it's a totally different dish than plain chicken.)

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:15 pm
You can also do melts in a toaster oven. If you don't have that either, ya got me Wink

o'mom

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:18 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

If you're worried about the time, my meatballs don't take longer than 25 minutes, preparation and baking time included.

I make the mixture once, then freeze them for a few suppers.
I defrost one bag overnight, then all I need to do the next day is form the balls and bake them! They bake in 20 minutes. It really doesn't take that long.
If I'm looking for a quick & easy supper, that's what I make.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:18 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

1 lb. of meat is divided onto 4 bun halves. Served open style. (There is also onion and pepper rings in there.)
Officially makes 4 servings. (Though my dh likes 2 halves.)
How much do you usually need for your family?

o'mom

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:20 pm
Oh, and if you're worried about a repeat of Tuesday,
These balls, when baked, taste very different than the classic, cooked meatballs.
But if you'd like to stick to tradition, go ahead!

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:20 pm
o'mom wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

If you're worried about the time, my meatballs don't take longer than 25 minutes, preparation and baking time included.

I make the mixture once, then freeze them for a few suppers.
I defrost one bag overnight, then all I need to do the next day is form the balls and bake them! They bake in 20 minutes. It really doesn't take that long.
If I'm looking for a quick & easy supper, that's what I make.
Same here. I do that and in the morning I dump them with sauce in the crockpot (bag).

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:25 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
You can also do melts in a toaster oven. If you don't have that either, ya got me Wink
I got ya Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:25 pm
Do you want to do no mess oven baked dinners, or is having the oven on too hot?
Some recipes only need to bake for a few minutes, and aren't so hot/heavy.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, May 25 2011, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

1 lb. of meat is divided onto 4 bun halves. Served open style. (There is also onion and pepper rings in there.)
Officially makes 4 servings. (Though my dh likes 2 halves.)
How much do you usually need for your family?
I usually stretch 1 lb of meat with other stuff -- e.g. macaroni, or meatballs with eggs/breadcrumbs...in stews, I can get by with less...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:27 pm
o'mom wrote:
Oh, and if you're worried about a repeat of Tuesday,
These balls, when baked, taste very different than the classic, cooked meatballs.
But if you'd like to stick to tradition, go ahead!
I like variety. So Tuesdays are chopped meat days (lasagna, meatballs cooked or baked, tacos, or browned and cooked with macaroni)...if I use it on Thursday it's in crockpot unstuffed cabbage...I just don't like meatballs being too often and it's also a patchka unless I do in crockpot and I make it the night before.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Do you have a foreman?
Do you want to do no mess oven baked dinners, or is having the oven on too hot?
Foreman broke. So I got an oven grill pan.

I'm fine with using the oven for non-milchigs as long as it doesn't take too long to bake. E.g. I can make hotdogs, but I think it's way too junky to have as a menu item on a regular basis. I can do hamburgers too if I was good and made them in advance...that sort of thing.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:30 pm
Any recipes for a turkey salad? I might be able to get away with it (have to ask) since it's mainly protein...I see it a lot at affairs, cubed turkey, celery, mayo, what else?

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:35 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Any recipes for a turkey salad? I might be able to get away with it (have to ask) since it's mainly protein...I see it a lot at affairs, cubed turkey, celery, mayo, what else?
I would probably do greens, cubed vegetables, cubed turkey, and creamy garlic dressing.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....arlic

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 2:36 pm
O'mom - those sound good! Recipe??? Please?

shev

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 3:32 pm
(Don't want to do chicken as we have that the next night for Shabbos, unless it's a totally different dish than plain chicken.)[/quote]

Can you please post how to make shredded beef buns

tia

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 3:42 pm
HY - As others have said, sandwiches and similar fare are definitely the best for something like this. Fast, easy, and not too sweltering.

How about falaful? Hamburgers (premade flat ones, just bake in the oven)? Tuna melts? Scrambled eggs with toast?

Make bone-in chicken in the crockpot for Thursday night, and cutlets for Shabbos?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus