Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Did your kid have ' failure to thrive'?

punchike

Post Fri, May 27 2011, 2:27 am
Can u share? What caused it? How small was s\he? Did s/he catch up? Thanks so much!
My almost 3 yr old daughter weighs 24.5 lbs.

drumjj

Post Fri, May 27 2011, 2:44 am
so does mine. but she has always been like this and I was told as long as she doesnt actually lose weight it doesnt matter and developmentally is normal

punchike

Post Fri, May 27 2011, 10:08 am
thanks drumjj, I appreciate the response. how much does she weigh?

anyone else want to share? would be so helpful to me.

onlyme

Post Fri, May 27 2011, 12:03 pm
DD was really tiny when she was younger (up until around a year old). We took her to an endocrinologist and ran all sorts of test, but they couldn't find anything wrong with her Boruch Hashem.

In the end she started growing on her own.

Now with DS, 8 months old, we're having the same thing. He's small for his age, has stayed the same size since he was 3 months old. But this time the doctor isn't worried. It seems that it's just a family thing.

Hope the same happens with your little one!

shatzileh

Post Fri, May 27 2011, 12:41 pm
Who applied the phrase 'failure to thrive' to your child? If it's the doctor, well, that's one thing. But if you're just doing it on your own based on weight, you may want to reconsider Smile
My son is about the same, and my entire side of the family was the same as well. As long as development is OK and your pediatrician isn't concerned, don't worry too much. (But yes, stuff her with fattening food when you can Wink )

momof2sofar

Post Fri, May 27 2011, 3:41 pm
My DD was 17.5 pounds at 1, 21 pounds at 2 and 24 pounds at 3. She has always been small but B"H we were never worried about FTT. I think FTT is very different than being small. But if she's just small, just know that "good things come in small packages". My DD is still small but B"H she's at the top of her class and her size doesn't hold her back.

Yocheved84

Post Fri, May 27 2011, 4:59 pm
My brother had it. Don't know what caused it. He needed speech and OT and extra help in elementary school with reading and speech, was small. But he worked extra hard in middle and high school. He now runs marathons, went to an Ivy-league school, and works 18-hour days in a job requiring high mental capacity and functioning.

So yes, one can definitely overcome it, BH!!

bnm

Post Fri, May 27 2011, 6:36 pm
my daughter had it and B"H is over it- she wasn't growing, she was losing and gaining weight and was off the charts. she had feeding therapy and a high calorie formula. her reflux definitely contributed to it.

faigyl

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 1:24 pm
My baby was 16lbs 6oz at 1 year. She is now 17lbs at almost 14 monthes.
Think its due to her reflux and allergies...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics